Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:35 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
True. However if we go from the RAV4 getting 16 mpg to a civic that gets 30 mpg the 14 mpg difference with gas at $2.38/gallon and me driving at least 70 miles each day to work, the savings in gas alone will be huge. And if we downsize to a civic the insurance savings will be significant as well.
I would be surprised if there was much if any insurance savings. Get a quote from your agent. If anything switching to the Civic which has more young accident prone drivers may increase the rate slightly.

Also don't expect to get 30mpg average out of the Civic if you're getting well below the average in the RAV4. Could just be your driving style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM

The average on Fuelly for the Lexus 400H is only in the 23-24 mpg range. Which is where your RAV should be. So don't feel like you missed out on that.

Lexus RX400h Mileage | Fuelly
Toyota RAV4 Mileage | Fuelly

Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM

339 posts, read 664,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I would be surprised if there was much if any insurance savings. Get a quote from your agent. If anything switching to the Civic which has more young accident prone drivers may increase the rate slightly.

Also don't expect to get 30mpg average out of the Civic if you're getting well below the average in the RAV4. Could just be your driving style.
I called earlier this week. They said depending on age it could be anywhere from $150-$300 savings.

I hear you but I'm not an aggressive driver, don't beat on my car. Car is used mostly for highway driving. I've owned other SUVs and never had this issue with the MPG being so low.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The average on Fuelly for the Lexus 400H is only in the 23-24 mpg range. Which is where your RAV should be. So don't feel like you missed out on that.

Lexus RX400h Mileage | Fuelly
Toyota RAV4 Mileage | Fuelly
Except I only get 16-18 mpg...

Do you have an opinion on the Prius? Used. The battery issue in older models concerns me. Not sure if it's hype or if anyone has actual experience on buying an older used prius

Old 05-20-2016, 02:58 PM

My parents have two Prii they bought used that they love. And not because they're tree huggers or anything. My mom drives hers like a bat out of hell and still gets excellent mileage.

At 200,000 miles they are still performing well without a battery replacement.
The 200,000-mile question: How does the Toyota Prius hold up?

Quote:
If the battery ever did need to be replaced, it would run between $2,200 and $2,600 from a Toyota dealer, but it’s doubtful that anyone would purchase a new battery for such an old car. Most will probably choose to buy a low-mileage unit from a salvage yard, just as they would with an engine or transmission. We found many units available for around $500.
It's definitely not the $5000 boogeyman some people like to make it out to be.

If you're going to make such a move I would definitely recommend going all out and getting a Prius or a Civic hybrid rather than take a half measure.

Last edited by notnamed; 05-20-2016 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 03:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Everyone told me how great Toyotas were so when my wife and I got our RAV4, we had high hopes. It is a 2007 and only gets 16-18 mpg. Why might this be?
Ouch!! My 4runner gets better mileage then that and it's a 4.0 liter V6 with the extra 200lbs of 4WD components. Something's wrong with your RAV4. Our 04' CRV (manual tranny w/AWD) got 27mpg and I would think a 4-cyl RAV4 would get the same.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:35 PM

423 posts, read 609,529 times
My 2 cents. I would sell the car now with minimal loss, and get another car with better mpg.

First, you should double check that are doing mpg calculation correctly. Don't use the fuel gauge on your car. Fill your tank full. Reset your trip odometer. Then at your next fill up, take your trip odometer and divide by how much gas on the gas station pump. You should do this for several fill ups.

Just calculate your potential gas usage. 35 (miles 1 way to work) x 2 (round trip) x 5 (days a week) x (50 weeks each year) = 17,500 miles per year. Let's say Rav4 is getting 17 mpg, and replacement car gets 24 mpg. You can save 300 gallons per year. Assume gas price is $2.80, then you save $840.

$840 is not much, but this adds up over the years. If you keep this car 5 years, that is $4200 just on gas.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:38 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Ouch!! My 4runner gets better mileage then that and it's a 4.0 liter V6 with the extra 200lbs of 4WD components. Something's wrong with your RAV4. Our 04' CRV (manual tranny w/AWD) got 27mpg and I would think a 4-cyl RAV4 would get the same.
I agree that something is definitely wrong with that Rav4. What tire pressure are you running? How are you measuring your mileage? Are you using the computer or manually? When was your last tune up? How do you drive, lead foot and like a grandma? I would make sure your brakes aren't dragging?

Old 05-20-2016, 04:50 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
06-08 4 cylinder RAV4s are notorious for consuming oil. You should definitely be monitoring your oil level at least weekly and not just waiting for the next oil change interval to have the tech tell you it was low. If you've got a bad one and no warranty and don't do your own maintenance it may be wise to sell. In the meantime, check that oil regularly!
TSB about OIL CONSUMPTION - Toyota RAV4 Forums

Toyota RAV4 Forums
+1 to everything that notnamed stated.
As good and reliable as these vehicles tend to be overall, they do have a disturbing tendency to consume oil at a very rapid rate. If the OP is one of those people who--beyond all reason--never checks his oil between changes, he could well wind up having to buy a replacement vehicle whether he wants to or not, if he continues to allow the engine to run very low on oil.

As to the gas mileage figures, if the car is up to date on all of its maintenance, and if the Check Engine Light is not lit up, then the problem is likely due to the driving habits of whoever is operating this vehicle on a regular basis. My best friend has a 2008 Rav-4 Limited (4 cylinder), and it averages 23-24 mpg overall when I drive it. When he drives it, he is lucky to eke-out 21 mpg.

How a car is driven has a lot to do with its gas mileage, as does the overall state of its maintenance .

Old 05-20-2016, 07:17 PM

When I'm at home I'll grab the log I kept to track the mpg manually based on when I fill up. Oh I forgot to mention that we are renting but soon as we move to our new home my commute will be 45 miles each way. So I'm really thinking the RAV4 is going to need to go

Question for you all. I'm not an invalid by any means but lease terms are just over my head and its all jibberish to me. I saw a dealership near me has 2 affordable leases. A Honda Civic for $33/month. And a CRV for $73/month. Both are with cash down or trade. Could I bring my one vehicle to trade in towards both leases? As long as I alternated between the 2 cars I could spread my commuter miles out evenly so I don't go over the mileage clause.

Here is the lease advertisement: http://www.bochhonda.com/specials/new.htm

Lastly, we just closed on a house. Does that mean I'm less likely to get financing? Those lease payments seem quite enticing. I have excellent credit and no debt except for the mortgage. I could comfortably afford those 2 payments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion