Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM

29 posts, read 82,554 times

Advertisements

We are shopping for a 2wd, auto, v6, leather seats, heated seats, with Nav and backup camera Highlander.

None of the low priced vehicles have all of the items wanted, so I am looking at $37k sticker for a "limited" gas version. The sticker on hybrid is $46k.

The saleswoman and the sales manager tried to do the "what can I do to sell you a car today?"

I really don't know enough about buying a car so when I walk out with the new set of keys, all the salesmen at the dealership will be in a circle laughing.

Can anyone shed some light on this so I can move during the Toyota Event (free scheduled maintenance for 2 years).

THANKS, f150
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:17 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Some banks have special prices for new cars, check and see if yours does. Also if you are a memeber of costco or sams club, they have special prices for new vehicles. Baring those, the best way to deal is research and visiting several dealers to see who can give the best price.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
Do some hw before you go into any stealership, otherwise they'll help themselves to your wallet & then some. Use pricing sites like Edmunds ( TMV new car prices, used car pricing, used car values at Edmunds ) or truecar.com to get an estimate of what your target price should be. Also check out Edmunds incentives section ( New car incentives, auto rebates, dealer incentives at Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/incentives/RebateController?step=1&setzip= - broken link) ) to see if your Highlander has any applicable direct cash or dealer cash available. If there's a huge discrepancy between pricing sites, usually it's due to one deducting the rebate and the other not.

Then choose 4 or 5 Toyo dealers and shootoff an email to their Internet Sales managers. Tell them you want a quote for a Highlander with specific trim & options and mention the Invoice Price of your configuration and the rebates (if any). And be sure to say that you're in a hurry to purchase & will make a decision this week, or they may not reply back. If all goes well you'll endup with at least 3 or 4 decent quotes with which to bargain from. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Exactly! Do some shopping around before you make a purchase. The dealerships are hungry for a sale and if you don't compromise they will find you what you want.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Edmunds says Highlander Limited models are going for about $950 over invoice in Texas.

You should start at invoice, not MSRP.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Do some hw before you go into any stealership, otherwise they'll help themselves to your wallet & then some. Use pricing sites like Edmunds ( TMV new car prices, used car pricing, used car values at Edmunds ) or truecar.com to get an estimate of what your target price should be. Also check out Edmunds incentives section ( New car incentives, auto rebates, dealer incentives at Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/incentives/RebateController?step=1&setzip= - broken link) ) to see if your Highlander has any applicable direct cash or dealer cash available. If there's a huge discrepancy between pricing sites, usually it's due to one deducting the rebate and the other not.

Then choose 4 or 5 Toyo dealers and shootoff an email to their Internet Sales managers. Tell them you want a quote for a Highlander with specific trim & options and mention the Invoice Price of your configuration and the rebates (if any). And be sure to say that you're in a hurry to purchase & will make a decision this week, or they may not reply back. If all goes well you'll endup with at least 3 or 4 decent quotes with which to bargain from. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Edmunds says Highlander Limited models are going for about $950 over invoice in Texas.

Excellent advice. Edmunds also has a feature where you can request a quote and it will send to all of the dealers in your area. That's what I did when I bought my last vehicle. One dealer was on the ball and offered me a rock bottom price and I took it! Even the other dealers were ony $500 over what the best price was. Most new car dealerships now have "Internet Sales Departments" that deal exclusively with informed customers looking to get the best deal. Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM

29 posts, read 82,554 times
Smile invoice is not invoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

===========================================
Today we looked at a third dealership. We learned something new. There is such a thing as Toyota Cash in the amount of $1500 available to the dealer from the mfg. on this model, so they would be ahead $2000 even if you offer "invoice". That is the Toyota Cash plus the $499 added to your offer as a DOC fee.

Thanks to everyone as I am starting to get the hang of it. I only hope I learn enough by the time to pull the trigger!!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Do not purchase their GAP insurance, they will charge you thousands of dollars for the same insurance your auto insurance provides for $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion