Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 PM

277 posts, read 789,998 times

Advertisements

"A new mixed-raced generation is transforming the city: Will Toronto be the world's first post-racial metropolis?"

A new mixed-raced generation is transforming the city: Will Toronto be the world

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,593,598 times
Many cities in Latin America are majority mixed race, however I wouldn't call them post-racial, unfortunately. On the other hand, I could easily imagine a Toronto that was post racial without needing to be majority mixed race first. At the end of the day, I feel like culture matters more than race does anyways.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM

71 posts, read 348,937 times
Based on the few Americans I've encountered, I think Toronto still has several generations to go just to get at where the US is already at in terms of "mixies". Toronto is also extremely lacking or dysfunctional in culture..that will also take a few more generations.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 AM

455 posts, read 1,138,678 times
Toronto hasn't had a "white identity" for a while despite having a still larger percentage white population than most american cities of a similar size.

Post-racial/multicultural Toronto has been the identity for at least the last 15-20 years or so.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,062,874 times
Cool.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,612,982 times
This is a silly article and no surprise it's from Toronto Life, which IMO is not a high quality publication. Although Toronto is a top tier city for diversity, C'mon, it is not the only city on planet earth with lots of interracial couples. I was just in SF for a week and it felt just as diverse with lots of interracial couples everywhere you turn. We are all a mixed race anyway if you trace the background of most cultures over time so this is why I don't understand the need to constantly promote multiculturalism. Let people live and integrate naturally. If anything, we should be promoting a more stronger Canadian identity and culture.

Besides, if you look at the largest major racials groups in the city: white, indian, chinese, and carribbean. The most noticable mix is between white men and asian females. Every other mix, although I'm sure exists, does not grow on trees like this article suggests. There may be more mixes, however, between cultures that are relatively closer like Chinese/Korean or Guyanese/Trini. At least based on my observation. People still gravitate to their culture own first but of course this slowly changes over time, this can happen in any city with large ethnic populations.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-20-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM

26,948 posts, read 38,410,120 times
I found the article interesting and while it does herald a fascinating and very different future for Toronto, the whole "world's first" angle is a bit annoying.

Contrary to popular belief in some circles, Toronto (nor Canada for that matter) did not invent diversity or the harmonious coexistence of people from different origins.

Our model is a good one for sure but it is not the only model in the world that works nor is it necessarily the best one.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,827,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I found the article interesting and while it does herald a fascinating and very different future for Toronto, the whole "world's first" angle is a bit annoying.

Contrary to popular belief in some circles, Toronto (nor Canada for that matter) did not invent diversity or the harmonious coexistence of people from different origins.

Our model is a good one for sure but it is not the only model in the world that works nor is it necessarily the best one.
true.

Use any measurement one can think of, and Toronto is not the most diverse city in the world.

Diversity exists in many parts of the world. It has never been a Canadian/Toronto thing.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM

277 posts, read 789,998 times
I find it difficult to tease out what the article is trying to get at or achieve. I think it's obvious that many cities/countries in the world are diverse, but are they all equally as accepting or as tolerant? I'm still not sure what "post-racial" means.

BBC News - Why have the white British left London?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 PM

26,948 posts, read 38,410,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jordania View Post
I find it difficult to tease out what the article is trying to get at or achieve. I think it's obvious that many cities/countries in the world are diverse, but are they all equally as accepting or as tolerant? I'm still not sure what "post-racial" means.

BBC News - Why have the white British left London?
People should be cautious about drawing conclusions from statistics like this. The movement of white Britons from London is not necessarily indicative of widespread intolerance or racism.

And tolerance and acceptance are not exclusively Torontonian or Canadian character traits. (Using the same theme as previous posts here.)

Also, we should not forget that except for the couple of priciest and ritziest areas in central Toronto, the dominant trend is a very strong outmigration of native-born Canadian whites from almost all of the 416 area code towards the 905 area and beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto