Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 PM

14 posts, read 46,019 times

Advertisements

Possibly moving from Park Slope Brooklyn to NW ohio for BGSU jobs. We would live to keep our walkable lifestyle at least somewhat. Perrysburg? Maumee? We would be so happy to be able to walk around a nice sidewalked neighborhood and to a couple of shops, parks, restaurants....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,154 times
If you will be working in BG, it would make the most sense to settle in the southern part of the city. Living in the suburbs, Sylvania, Perrysburg, Maumee, Whitehouse, are the areas. Both Sylvania and Maumee have old downtown areas with shops that one could walk to but you will have to purchase a much older home to be within walking distance. Locals are outdoor enthusiasts and we have a wonderful park system but it is very unusual for a homeowner to choose where they want to live just to walk down sidewalks and shop. I guess you could say it is a very mobile city.
Why not consider BG itself? It's old and quaint although the downtown area and shops would be taken over by college kids.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM

151 posts, read 413,864 times
Yeah, I'd agree with considering BG itself. Perrysburg is the most convenient suburb of Toledo to BG but as far as walkability goes, forget it. You drive everywhere in that town.

Really, NW Ohio is every bit as car-oriented of a place as Southern California, although obviously the traffic is much lighter. Not a lot of emphasis on walkable urban neighborhoods, and not a lot of concern about sprawl being out of control because the economy wouldn't sustain that around here. Public transit consists of only a ghetto bus system and shuttles to and from some suburbs to downtown for drunks going to baseball and hockey games.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM

148 posts, read 459,443 times
Hi Louise,
I work at BGSU, and live in Bowling Green. BG is a small town, with not a whole lot to do for the over 25 crowd outside of the rich offerings on campus. I wish there was a wider variety of restaurants as well, but Toledo has about anything save for Vietnamese food.

It's a nice place to raise a family, though you may find BG schools to be a little too pearly white. They are strong schools, but not known for being overly friendly to diversity of the color or GLBT variety. People in BG are friendly, and I like living here. There is no traffic, shopping is easy, and Toledo is about 20 minutes by car.

Good luck with your decision. I think you will like BGSU.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM

14 posts, read 46,019 times
Thank you all so much for your information and advice! I really appreciate your time.
Best, Louise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo