Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,693 times

Advertisements

Dear forum coleagues,

I am a physician in training, starting my medical residency in Toledo at the end of June, and I am looking for a sincere advice from fellow Toledoans regarding housing. We will be moving from Washington DC area, and are planning on renting a house/town home or condo.
I will be rotating between Toledo Hospital, St. Vincent Medical Center and Medical University of Toledo. My husband and I are a mature couple in the late 30's, no kids, but have a dog, a clean, friendly and house trained Golden Retriever.
Based on our needs, and from what I have red so far, it looks like the best options for us would be Old Orchard or Ottawa Hills. However, I would really appreciate sincere advice and opinions. Here is what we are looking for:
1.Safety - this is the most important.
2.MUST be pet friendly, our dog is part of the family...
3.MUST have enclosed back yard or porch (for the dog...)
4.MUST have garage.
5.WOULD LIKE to be within 10 miles or less from work.
We are not looking for a big property and don't have a need for a certain size, safety and location is what matters most. We are looking for a nice and clean home, and are ready to pay a little extra for an upscale house.
If you happen to have a property for rent or you can refer us to a relocation agent, please do let us know. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 18,261 times
I would suggest South Toledo somewhere between the Anthony Wayne Trail and River Road. Medical University of Toledo would be 5 minutes away and St. Vincents would be 10. It's an older, but upscale neighborhood that sits around a golf course. The crime rate is low and you're very near expressway access to get to any of the hospitals listed. In fact, you wouldn't have to even use an expressway for the 1st two and you wouldn't be on it long to get to Toledo Hospital. If you find a locater, I would highly suggest they look for a property in this area. I grew up in it and it's just as nice today as it was then.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,117 times
I would also consider the Perrysburg area as well, if you are looking for safety and security . Perrysburg has many things to offer a family like yours , everything is convienant and where you will be traveling to is not far away.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 AM

36 posts, read 219,518 times
Ottawa Hills would be perfect for an aspiring doctor -- very nice area -- the nicest "old money" part of Toledo. Old Orchard is right next to it: cheaper, but close to the university and very walkable. Old Orchard schools are Toledo city, if that matters to you, while Ottawa Hills has its own school district.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 21,897 times
Welcome to Toledo! I hope you like it here. I would suggest Ottawa Hills- very charming, close to shopping/restaurants, and full of beautiful homes. Since safety is your #1 concern, I would stay away from Old Orchard. We used to live there and had a break-in attempt, which unfortunately seemed to be going on a lot at the time. Sylvania is another nice, big suburb you may want to consider along with Perrysburg. One great thing about Toledo is you can be just about anywhere in the area in 15-20 minutes or less. You should have a lot to choose from- the housing market here is pretty good right now. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 121,646 times
I live in Old Orchard and adore it! The neighbors are fantastic, everyone is super friendly, there is alot of socializing going on, and in the summertime, the streets and sidewalks are literally filled with dog walkers!! It's location is perfect as it is centrally located to just about anything. Where your rotation is, it is the perfect location. Toledo Hospital is literally around the corner from Old Orchard/Ottawa Hills, MCO is about 7 minutes away, and St. V's is downtown, but straight E-way, so that is definitely less than a ten minute drive. I am a nurse myself, and Old Orchard/Ottawa Hills is heavily loaded with medical professionals.
It's unfortunate that the above poster had a break in, but these things happen sometimes. I know that I heard of break ins around here (particularly at the start of summer when the kiddies get out of school!) But we have a Toledo Police substation not 5 minutes away and response time is VERY prompt, and I have never heard of a violent crime here. Ottawa Hills (I have a relative on their police force) is beautiful, but snobbier, and not as crime free as people have a tendency to think! They just keep it QUIET!
There are homes, condos, and apartments for rent in both places. Best place to look is probably The Blade on sundays.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:55 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,112 times
I would suggest the Perrysburg area, it is close to the interstate, plus there is alot going on in Perrysburg now since Levis Commons opened up a few years ago. That suburb is growing and is safe. The schools system is great and the neighborhoods are nice and quiet. Great place to invest in a business since there are more businesses moving there. Plus none of Toledo's suburbs are a far drive from the city, Toledo's metropolitan is not that big, matter of fact it is one of the smallest metropolitans in the country.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 55,560 times
Default toledo housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchilof View Post
Dear forum coleagues,

I am a physician in training, starting my medical residency in Toledo at the end of June, and I am looking for a sincere advice from fellow Toledoans regarding housing. We will be moving from Washington DC area, and are planning on renting a house/town home or condo.
I will be rotating between Toledo Hospital, St. Vincent Medical Center and Medical University of Toledo. My husband and I are a mature couple in the late 30's, no kids, but have a dog, a clean, friendly and house trained Golden Retriever.
Based on our needs, and from what I have red so far, it looks like the best options for us would be Old Orchard or Ottawa Hills. However, I would really appreciate sincere advice and opinions. Here is what we are looking for:
1.Safety - this is the most important.
2.MUST be pet friendly, our dog is part of the family...
3.MUST have enclosed back yard or porch (for the dog...)
4.MUST have garage.
5.WOULD LIKE to be within 10 miles or less from work.
We are not looking for a big property and don't have a need for a certain size, safety and location is what matters most. We are looking for a nice and clean home, and are ready to pay a little extra for an upscale house.
If you happen to have a property for rent or you can refer us to a relocation agent, please do let us know. Thanks in advance for your advice!

The point/place & Shoreland areas of Toledo have very nice housing at affordable prices right now (the housing prices are going down, down, down). The crime rate is very low in Shoreland (they have their own police & fire dept). The schools are nice (Washington Local school district) & it is safe to walk dogs, go to parks, etc.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:33 PM

33 posts, read 197,468 times
Plus none of Toledo's suburbs are a far drive from the city, Toledo's metropolitan is not that big, matter of fact it is one of the smallest metropolitans in the country.

Toledo MSA (660,000) ranks 70th out of over 280 metros, certainly not one of the smallest. The CMSA (725,000) ranks higher, and will move up if Monroe or Lenawee Counties are added.

Toledo's urbanized area though is very small in footprint (roughly 200 square miles), and that's highly desirable. There's a reason commutes in Toledo are so easy compared to other metros. Sprawl is more limited in Toledo than in a lot of comparable cities.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:18 PM

8 posts, read 63,930 times
I am starting 3rd year of med school in Toledo and currently live in a house in Old Orchard. It is seriously a bazillion times way better than my first year when i was living in an apartment in Springfield Township (Maumee zip code). It is very close to Toledo Hospital and the drive to UTMC is very short. If you are looking to buy then Old Orchard is probably cheaper than adjacent Ottawa Hills. There are very similar home types on either side of the boundary line, although further west and south in Ottawa Hills you will find more old money mega mansions. Even so, there are a lot of impressive properties on the Toledo side (Old Orchard) on Kenwood and nearby streets. The area east of Douglas and west of Toledo Hospital seems kinda sketchy. I hated South Toledo, NO SIDEWALKS. Old Orchard has plenty, as does the eastern side of Ottawa Hills. Anywhere near UTMC (formerly MUO formerly MCO) seems rundown and depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo