Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: dog's name
5 1 33.33%
6 2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,296 times

Advertisements

We are a couple ages 30 to 40''s and we have no kids. My husband would like to move back to Toledo to be closer to his family. He has not lived there since 1989. We both have a job here in Los Angeles. He works in sytem data and I work as a business office manager in a skilled nursing facility. WE have been trying to find for a job online, but we have not received any responses so far.
I am thinking that companies like to hire someone local, would it be a sound idea to move and then once we become local get a job?

Can anyone please help ,, give us information about the job market and life in Toledo.

Appreciate all the help that we can get. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 PM

486 posts, read 982,733 times
In my opinion, that is a definitely not the thing to do. You definitely want to have a job before moving here. I would say that it would be fairly easy to find a job in healthcare. Have you tried the following health systems:

www.promedica.org
www.mercyweb.org
www.utoledo.edu

You may not be able to find a job doing exactly what you are doing (SNF), but there are many jobs in healthcare.

I am sorry I don't have much information on systems data.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,156 times
The reality is that jobs are leaving Toledo while others are only hiring locals in the area. Finding employment in Toledo or really anywhere in Ohio with the exception of Columbus is extremely difficult. The cost of living in Ohio is cheaper than anywhere else I can think of therefore I might suggest looking for employment in Columbus. Its only 2 hours from Toledo and has more job opportunities. When you see thousands of people lined up to apply for a job with Home Depot that should let you know that the economy is bad all over the country, but even worse in the Midwest. However some people do commute between Detroit and Toledo, which they work in Detroit and live somewhere outside Toledo, but with high gas prices thats no longer an option for commuters. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
Ohio in general is a very tough job market. HCR Manorcare is headquartered in Toledo, so that is another option for you. Moving here without jobs is a tremendous risk, bad market, far fewer opportunities than a large city like LA, and an abudance of schools pumping out competetive graduates willing to work for less money. The upside is that the cost of living is nothing compared to LA, so depending on your financial situation, you may save so much living here that you have time to find jobs. I moved from Chicago, and the difference was amazing. The one thing negative in regards to living is that having a car can be nearly essential. Our public transportation is system is joke compared to large cities, and unless you're one of the lucky few, you can't count on it. I would also highly recommend a couple extended vacations before moving back. Toledo may not be just what your husband remembers it to be. A rough economy, tough winters, short summers, and comparatively few ammenities compared to a metro area like LA. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I just hate to see someone make a move this big on false pretenses.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:47 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,505 times
I am agreeing on Ohio's job market. It's not too hot...but like someone else said, Columbus would be a much better idea for the two of you. I would strongly reccomend coming for a visit or two before you make the move and explore the state a bit (or at least the region you are moving to). The only real tradeoff is the COL is really cheap compared to that of LA or other major cities.

However, I would have to say winters aren't "tough" here. I've lived here my entire life and have while I was in school, only had ONE time where we missed about a week and a half of school (the Jan. 2005 ice storm). There are TIMES when it is tough, but the winter as a whole isn't that bad. I would also argue that summers aren't short. Typically we have what I consider warm weather by mid-late May and at latest early June. Even the beginning of September is warm...a few weeks ago we were in the 90s and today and yesterday it was in the 80s. I will agree on the few ammenities compared to that of LA, which is why I would say Columbus is your best bet. But it will be far less.

You'll just have to explore your options for the state more...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo