Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine is interested in this college and loved his visit there but would like some more insider information about the school and the area around it. Can anyone help us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 03:36 PM

12 posts, read 40,107 times
Well I went to grad school at UT, but I know nothing really about the undergrad. but I can give you some info about the area. The school is located in Ottwa Hills area a nice suburb of Toledo. If he is planning on moving off campus there are plenty of nice housing options including apartments directly across the university catered to students. If he wants some non-student catered housing close by I would check out Orchard Lakes, Country Club, Steeple Chase ( a little pricey though) Downtown Toledo is pretty nice esp. the docks, there are some nice bars and resturants that way. If you have any specific questions about the area feel free to ask.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 AM

154 posts, read 605,907 times
I went to college there, although it's been several years since I have been back. It is a good school overall. Most building are close enough to walk to. Others are a short drive. Parking was always a hassle when I attended. If you don't mind parking in a ramp and walking down several flights of stairs, you can usually find a parking spot. If you class is after 10:00am, you'll be parking in a ramp, or riding a bus from a remote parking spot. Do not park without a permit. They will ticket you. Also, don't chain a bike to something. I have seen bike chains get cut and the bike impounded.

Go west on Bancroft Street and you'll run into Ottawa Hills - a rich suburb. Go east on Bancroft, and your in the ghetto. The south end of campus is the Dorr Street area, which wasn't much to look at when I was there. There are bars and fast food restaurants like you find near any college. Be advised that UT rarely cancels classes due to weather. I have driven through snow storms to get to and from class.

That's UT in a nutshell. Ask me any specific questions.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:53 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times
Thanks for the info. so far. What about the types of students at the school? My friend thought it to be fairly diverse. Does anyone care to elaborate?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:22 AM

154 posts, read 605,907 times
If by diverse, you mean foreign students, yes. I could sit in the hallway of Stranahan Hall and not understand a word anybody around me was saying. When I was there, there were many Asian, Indian, and Middle Eastern students.
Many of may professors were Indian, one Chinese, and one Greek. They spoke good English though. No problems understanding them. There weren't many people that I knew from say, California or England. Either the students were local to Toledo or were from places mentioned above.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:01 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,760 times
I went to undergrad and grad school there. I loved it. It really depends on what he/she wants to get out of it, and what they are majoring in. It's not like going to a major univeristy as far as size, sports, etc, and Harvard it ain't, but most normal jobs just care that you have a degree, not where it's from.

It does have a great engineering, pharmacy, and environmental science (my degree) program though. Business isn't horrible but most are just par for a midwest university. It won't hurt you, but it won't help you.

It's just big enough to not feel like a community college, enjoy div 1 sports, meet a variety of people, and feel like you "went away to college" without being sprawled out like a major city (think Ohio State) or being lost in the crowd. It's not in the middle of corn fields either so there's things to do outside of campus life (unlike BGSU, Miami, OU to name a few).

It is a MAJOR commuter school though so to really enjoy it he/she should involved in campus life. It has great campus involvement opportunities with plenty of clubs, organizations, greek, and student government opportunities.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
The University of Toledo just recently merged with the Medical College of Ohio, so they now have a much larger and very well respected Medical Science program.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:35 PM

138 posts, read 675,670 times
U of Toledo is affectionally known as Bancroft High...but I'm an alumni. Great MAC school, great law and medical. BG is only 20 minutes away if you want to party.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 AM

6 posts, read 21,321 times
Ottawa Hills is nice, but the further down Detroit Ave you get, the more dangerous it can be. There are parts of that area that just are not good parts of town (I lived in the large, 3 story house on Dorr Street next to Marco's Pizza for a good half of a year). So definitely try to stay on campus or in some campus sponsored apartments until you get a good feel of the area.

Then again, I go to Bowling Green so what do I know!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,868 times
University of Toledo is nice. I love that old gothic style on most of the buildings. It's the best university I've ever attended, most instructors treat you like an adult.

Wish I could say the same for Bowling Green State University, but sadly I cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo