Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times

Advertisements

Toledo definitely looks better in April-October, this is the worst time of the year to see it for the first time.

Much of Toledo really suffered during the Great Recession and may not ever recover. Thousands of jobs left the city, good paying, blue collar, manufuctiring jobs. The middle class really took a hit and too many people are left on unemployment and hopeless, because, sad to say, those jobs aren't coming back.

I'm sorry to hear about all the smokers in your building. Once you get out and about and find the nicer areas of the Toledo Metro area, you'll see that there actually are many health conscious people who wouldn't touch a cigarette with a ten foot pole, and at least Toledo has a smoking ban in all bars, bowling alleys, and restaurants, so you can go to those places and not be accosted with second hand smoke.

When the leaves come back and the grass is green, take a drive along River Rd. in Perrysburg and drive around the countryside a bit. There really are safe, beautiful areas here, I promise.

If you are serious about "turning to religion", I can recommend some good, low pressure, seeker friendly churches in the area that probably have very active singles groups, assuming you are looking for a Protestant, Christian church. I don't know much about the local Roman Catholic options or otherwise.

Hang in there, it's bound to get better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:49 PM

21 posts, read 30,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
If you are serious about "turning to religion", I can recommend some good, low pressure, seeker friendly churches in the area that probably have very active singles groups, assuming you are looking for a Protestant, Christian church. I don't know much about the local Roman Catholic options or otherwise.

Hang in there, it's bound to get better!
Thanks canudigit.

I might just take you up on that once I'm a little more settled here. Week 2 and I'm still getting my bearings. I'll be back to this thread though, probably with a few more questions about the town.

It's actually looking better already.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Glad to see things are looking up already.

I am sooooo happy that I have not been in Toledo this winter. My mom sends me updates with pics and it is crazy how much snow and crazy weather that has occurred there this year and I agree that you moved during the worse time of the year.

And the smoking is crazy IMO in Toledo. I do think it has decreased substantially even in my own family but there are a lot of smokers there IMO too.

Good luck on finding a good social scene, even it you find it from religion!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:28 PM

615 posts, read 1,392,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
<snip>

Much of Toledo really suffered during the Great Recession and may not ever recover. Thousands of jobs left the city, good paying, blue collar, manufucturing jobs. The middle class really took a hit and too many people are left on unemployment and hopeless, because, sad to say, those jobs aren't coming back.
<snip>
The Great Recession hit Toledo hard, but the employment picture was downright awful even before the Great Recession started.

Toledo is an example of how a city of diversified industries can get hit harder than a one-industry town. China is still not a significant exporter of automobiles to the US, so the Detroit area still has a significant industrial sector from the auto industry. Toledo was hit hard by the flight of Champion and Dana. Too much of what was made in Toledo could be cheaply exported 10,000 units at a time in a shipping container.

This is one reason single motherhood is so ubiquitous in Toledo. A girl is not going to marry "Mr. Right" if he doesn't have a job (and there aren't any), so she hangs out with "Mr. Wrong" in the meantime, and has his kid by herself.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,423 times
Default North Toledo Crime?...

What are your thoughts now of the area sitebysun? I'm actually relocating to that area in the next month or so with my fiancé and young son by way of Michigan. I'm originally from the BX too!

I've heard so far to stay away from South Toledo so I've been targeting the North Toledo area. I've found a few apts on and around Jackman rd, but I'm concerned about the crime in that area, especially having my young son.

I was think of Sylvania, but the apartments seem to be more expensive in that area and we are on a budget.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
KayLexy, just wanted to mention that certain parts of South Toledo are not bad at all. Most people consider the "Old South End" to be the bad part. That is actually the neighborhood where I spent the majority of my childhood and it was considered bad back then too. But other parts of south Toledo, the Beverly area and the area near Walbridge Park and by the zoo aren't that bad. River Rd is a more wealthy portion of the city and it is in South Toledo so if you stay in those areas then you should be okay.

I actually am about to move back to Toledo. I was offered a great job with more money than I am making now in Atlanta so I am thrilled to move back home and I plan to buy a house within the next couple of years in the Beverly or Harvard school zone areas. Beverly is one of the best TPS schools in Toledo and has had that reputation for a long time now.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,423 times
residinghere2007 thank you! Very helpful info. I will definitely check those areas for some inexpensive apts. I hope to enjoy the nice areas of Toledo. Good luck with your new job!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 PM

21 posts, read 30,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLexy View Post
What are your thoughts now of the area sitebysun? I'm actually relocating to that area in the next month or so with my fiancé and young son by way of Michigan. I'm originally from the BX too!

I've heard so far to stay away from South Toledo so I've been targeting the North Toledo area. I've found a few apts on and around Jackman rd, but I'm concerned about the crime in that area, especially having my young son.

I was think of Sylvania, but the apartments seem to be more expensive in that area and we are on a budget.
It's not horrible here, KayLexy. The neighborhood is decent. You'll hear about Toledo crime on tv from time to time (eg. businesses being robbed in other areas), but I've never felt unsafe around here. I can recommend this area code. Not sure about other areas.

Sorry for the late reply -- I'm not often on the forum.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,392,356 times
One thing for sure is that apartments in Toledo are cheaper by orders of magnitude than apartments just about anywhere in Michigan, where you just don't see apartments for less than $750/mo (an artificial floor set by Section VIII benefits).

I went on some bicycle rides through the LV area recently, and saw one apartment complex that was not accessed by major roads, with older brick apartments (across Laskey from Teledyne - but without access to Laskey - won't name it here on the forum). It had open lawn spaces, slightly winding roads, and some large units without a high price. It looked quiet to me. I asked a resident I buttonholed who said she liked it there, for the same reasons I perceived. Anyone here have opinions in it?

I might mention it would be a long time before I could move back to Ohio (and change my screen name to 419 GReenwood?). I would have to find a job first (very hard to do there), but I think it would be the bast chance for me to be close to family yet make ends meet.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 PM

896 posts, read 1,854,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
I went on some bicycle rides through the LV area recently, and saw one apartment complex that was not accessed by major roads, with older brick apartments (across Laskey from Teledyne - but without access to Laskey - won't name it here on the forum). It had open lawn spaces, slightly winding roads, and some large units without a high price. It looked quiet to me. I asked a resident I buttonholed who said she liked it there, for the same reasons I perceived. Anyone here have opinions in it?

Not sure why you dont want to name it? Thats Riviera Maia Apartments. I live 2 blocks to the south of it. Ive never seen the inside of any units or anything so I cant comment as to its quality but im pretty sure theyre fairly affordable. Its a big complex and they advertise a lot. I know people that live in my neighborhood arent exactly in love with the places existence because its perceived as potentially housing people who threaten our neighborhood (burglaries, thefts, etc) but I cant say that thats necessarily the truth with any certainty. Its probably not that bad of a place to live though if it suits ones budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo