Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

What can people tell me about the Westmoreland neighborhood in Toledo?
Thanks very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
It's a really nice neighborhood surrounded by rougher neighborhoods. It's I don't know if they consider everything from Bancroft to Dorr, Westmoreland, but to me its Parkside, Richmond, Mt Vernon, Potomac, and Shenandoah....down to about Clarendon. Further south toward Dorr and the noteworthy character kinda isn't there. I don't ever see crime on those streets in reports, and anytime I've been there, its felt completely safe.

Lots of trees, winding streets, big older houses, some new. It's nice, and I think a lot of people are unaware of it.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
It is a really pretty neighborhood. I am originally from Toledo and went the Nathan Hale Elementary school and part of Wesmoreland is near the school. When I was a kid we used to call it "The Valley" because it was so dramatically different than where we lived (had bigger houses and was prettier and reminded us of some sort of natural oasis). We used to take "short cuts" through the neighborhood even though it was actually a long cut and made us take an extra 30-40 minutes to get to school lol!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
I'd prefer a smaller house in Old Orchard to a larger house in Westmoreland to be honest.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I'd prefer a smaller house in Old Orchard to a larger house in Westmoreland to be honest.

They're similar aesthetically. Westmoreland is just smaller, only a few square blocks, and not as close to desirable businesses. Ottawa Park, as well as St Francis High School and Gesu School are close and those are perks. The area just gets rough, fast, as soon as you cross over Upton, Dorr, or Bancroft though so in that regard Old Orchard would be preferable as well. Westmoreland would definitely be a good alternative for someone looking for that same type of neighborhood, but maybe ever so slightly cheaper.

I think its kind of a hidden gem.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,064 times
Yeah, it's a tough call between Westmoreland and Old Orchard. I think the houses and lots are nicer and bigger in Westmoreland, but geographically, Old Orchard probably is more secure. Old Orch is so much larger in area, and not as close to the rougher neighborhoods.

Still some of those Westmoreland streets feel like they're right out of Ottawa Hills. It's a beautifully designed neighborhood with some gorgeous homes.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Thanks, all. Looking at a place there.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
Default Quite Lovely

Westmoreland, is the small area which includes and basically ends at St. Francis de Sales, the border of Ottawa Park on Bancroft and Shenandoah up to Claraden; driving through the area, it is easy to recognize the houses of the valley. It is quiet area, when Bancroft is not being repaired. It's quite lovely and I love what I affectionately call my little big house. I grew up on the border of Westmoreland and promised myself I would live in the small affluent community and now I do. Why do I love it, fabulous place for walks, especially in the evening, with my child in the stroller when he was young and nice walks for the dog. My neighbors are friendly but everyone respects privacy. My son walks to St. Francis everyday; I went to St Ursula, which is easily reached by bus, in about 10 minutes. It is far enough from U.T. to avoid the traffic and hustle of U.T. but within walking distance. The golf course is across the street, in Ottawa Park. Though the houses are very similar to Ottawa Hills, the taxes are dramatically lower and the restrictions, as these are historical homes are easy to live with and the association is family friendly. These are generally forever homes. So, things may be a bit dated, nothing a can of paint and a good contractor can't easily turn into your dream home, as these historic homes have good bones; this however does explain why the homes have been purchased more reasonably than our counterparts. You may have to update your kichen, bath or hire a painter, but then again, you get the home you wanted, to your taste, at a price that will make you smile when the upgrades are completed. Shopping is about 15 minutes away and the area is central to anywhere you need to go, within 25 minutes. You may from time to time hear the summer noise of Upton, it is a bit rough outside Westmoreland, but I have always loved the valley and I am thrilled to lived here.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:28 AM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
I am glad you found your dream home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo