Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,937 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've browsed most of these threads, but still have some questions.

I am moving to the Toledo area this fall. I have been researching rental houses in Bowling Green and in Maumee, but there don't seem to be as many available in Maumee. I need to be relatively close to Maumee and would prefer not to live in very far into Toledo.

Are there any specific reasons not to consider Bowling Green?

I would like to be close to the lake.

I have found a lot of inexpensive rentals in the Oregon area. Is this because of the refinery? I'm concerned about exposure to chemicals in the air, but it seems like the Maumee Bay State Park and the little neighborhood next to it would be right in the path of the refinery junk. Is this the case?

Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM

285 posts, read 644,256 times
The main reason not to consider Bowling Green based on what you have said is that it is not close to the lake (probably a 45 min drive) and is a 30 min drive from Toledo. What type of neighborhood are you looking for?

With regards to Oregon, I have never heard anything about pollution or exposure to chemicals.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,937 times
I'm looking for a neighborhood that's walkable and safe. Not uptight safe, but interesting safe. Not pristine, but not dirty either. Blue collar neighborhood is fine - I grew up in Michigan.

I work from home so commuting during rush hour isn't an issue, but I will need to visit a disabled family member in Maumee a few days a week.

I can drive during off peak hours.

I guess getting to Maumee during the winter is a priority over getting to the park/beach May-October.

So you can't smell or detect the refinery stuff at the state park?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM

896 posts, read 1,861,923 times
For all practical purposes theres absolutely nothing wrong with Bowling Green. It has a rather vibrant downtown area due to the universities presence. The only thing that might ever bother you is living near college kids, but you dont necessarily have to live on their side of town.

Oregon is completely fine too. Oregons absolutely not walkable, but I dont know what youre particular definition of walkable is. It is relatively close to the lake though. I wouldnt worry too much about the refineries. Just stay a little ways away from them.

Questions:

Why exactly dont you want to live in Toledo?

Are Perrysburg or Holland options for you?

Once again, im curious as to what you mean when you say you want a neighborhood thats walkable and "interesting safe"?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 PM

285 posts, read 644,256 times
The area around downtown Maumee might work in terms of being walkable and safe. Most of the rest of the town is car oriented. Any of the areas near BGSU campus would be walkable, fairly safe, and probably more interesting than downtown Maumee. Levis Commons in Perrysburg could be an option as well.

I have been to Maumee Bay and there is no smell from the refinery there that I can recall.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 AM

896 posts, read 1,861,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
The area around downtown Maumee might work in terms of being walkable and safe. Most of the rest of the town is car oriented. Any of the areas near BGSU campus would be walkable, fairly safe, and probably more interesting than downtown Maumee. Levis Commons in Perrysburg could be an option as well.

I have been to Maumee Bay and there is no smell from the refinery there that I can recall.

Agreed. Downtown Perrysburg is also an option about on par with Downtown Maumee except downtown Perrysburg has a grocery store and more dining options which place it just a notch above as far as livability/walkability are concerned, in my opinion.

I think you should consider some areas of Toledo as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:32 AM

227 posts, read 628,312 times
I am again going to plug Harvard Terrace in Toledo (look up Harvard Blvd.) It is a short walk to the River at its widest point (about a mile accross), which isn't the lake, but the lake can be nasty in the winter anyhow... and it is a very short drive to Maumee... the problem is that there are few rentals, but if you drive through the neighborhood, you will see a few rent by owner signs.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,186,325 times
There IS a smell by the refinery, but it's very localized (small) and best to my knowledge unless you live on the adjacent farms, you won't smell it. I don't know of any known issues regarding health and the factories / refinery.

Maumee Bay is awesome, but be aware that HAB (harmful Algae Bloom) does flare up at times and makes the water unfit to swim in - but the Park still has other things to offer. Just last week at sunset I took this video of some kite surfers out on the beach there -

‪Maumee Bay State Park kite surfers catching some air‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,023,625 times
Since you are helping a disabled person, I think that living as close as possible to them would be ideal - you don't want to be 45 minutes away if something suddenly pops up and they need your help. If you can't find anything in Maumee, there is really nothing wrong with most parts of South Toledo that are near Maumee (Harvard Terrace, Beverly, Crossgates, Arlington).

What's your budget? Do you care about whether it's an apartment or house?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,531,517 times
My niece and her husband just moved to a small rental house in Maumee. I'm not sure if it is in what would be considered a walkable area since anything within a mile and a half is considered pretty walkable in our small town for this old man, but it was a situation where she spoke with the right person at the right time and was able to make the contact. We are about an hour away from the Toledo area, but here there are many of the realtors who have purchased homes that they have for rent or know of properties that private individuals have available. You might try contacting some of them for suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo