Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 PM

8 posts, read 11,193 times

Advertisements

Lubbock does have a small degree of charm. I moved back after being away for several years and it was good to be home, but now I'm ready to leave again, and this time never come back. Yes the people are outwardly friendly, but many are steeped in what I call "old world" traditions and their ways of thinking are backwards. It's not racially or culturally diverse enough honestly. The areas of town are VERY divided and there is a culture of separate but NOT equal. Many of the Lubbockites don't interact with each other socially either. Many of residents and some transplants think that anything in the northeastern quadrant of the city is evil and forbidden. Which is totally NOT true. Crime in this portion of the city is not nearly as bad as they think. In fact the entire city has the strong presence of the local police department. I do appreciate that especially when compared to cities like DFW and Houston. However, I don't think that the younger people here have a true sense of how the world really operates, and that's due to a lack of community and support from the city council. One thing you can't beat are the quiet nights under the stars. It's very peaceful. The problem is that most of the city shuts down by 10:00pm and maybe 11:00pm on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 05:17 PM

5 posts, read 11,420 times
Both are the 2 biggest cities between El Paso and D/FW(Sorry Midland/Odessa). Amarillo's airport just had a major renovation while it's downtown is in the midst of revitilization. Lubbock has Tech and I 27 while Amarillo has West Texas A&M along with 2 major interstates. Joyland is a small amusement park in Lubbock and Amarillo's Wonderland is the states 3rd largest privately owned amusement park. Both metro areas have populations well above 200,000. So I guess both cities pretty much rank on the same scale.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM

141 posts, read 380,868 times
Lubbocks metro is supposedly at the 300,000 mark. But you hit the nail right on the head!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM

19 posts, read 40,779 times
There are a lot of good things about Lubbock but the "outwardly friendly" and "backwards" adjectives are right on the mark. The driving is the worst I've seen anywhere (I'm a military brat and have lived in many places); I can't believe the number of traffic deaths I've heard about involving people who were too independent to wear seat belts. The PD is more incompetent than I've seen in smaller towns all over the US. A lot in the way of medical facilities here, but if your insurance requires a center of excellence for some surgeries, you have to go outside Lubbock. Either poor or nonexistent planning, at least in the residential neighborhoods within 2-3 miles of Tech. I live two blocks from an elementary school where the kids walking to or from school have to walk in the street because there are no sidewalks going North/South. I don't think I've ever seen so many people content with mediocrity, from government (city and county) employees to private business. Very little professionalism here. Not much in the way of training for people who have to deal with the public. I've called the Elections Department of the county and the consumer line of a local utility with a complaint - both times, the person on the other end took the complaint personally and got very defensive. Lubbock may have the veneer of sophistication but don't scratch under the surface. It very much reminds me of a suburb of Phoenix I lived in back in the early 70's.

The good things include it being big enough to have nearly everything you need and yet most of it being within 5 miles; the overall conservatism of the populace; the cost of living is still fairly low. These are considerable when weighed against the bad.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:06 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,395,093 times
I like Lubbock and Amarillo.I am thinking of possibly living in both.I think the Palo Duro Canyon is pretty.I love the Route 66 culture and history in Amarillo.I like Lubbock a good deal.I like how Lubbock has a good dating scene.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:22 AM

802 posts, read 984,752 times
Are there any good books or movies about life in either city?
Something beyond sanitized Chamber of Commerce drivel
and simplistic history?

Old 01-05-2018, 03:53 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,434,449 times
Suggest you start here for Amarillo. Someone more familiar with Lubbock should be able to find links for it.

https://amarillo-texas-history.blogspot.com

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hda02

Amarillo History & Trivia

Go into Amazon.com, type "Amarillo, Texas" in the search box, and piles of books turn up.

Happy reading.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:59 AM

802 posts, read 984,752 times
I just noticed this movie - Bomb City - not exactly Friday Night Lights.

Bomb City: An Amarillo Story - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas