Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,625 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving from California to Brownsville, TX in Febuary. Where is the best area to rent? I am looking for something affordable but needs to be kid friendly.

Also how easy is it to get into Law Enforcement. I have had a career in Law Enforcement for some time and would like to persue it in Texas. I would also like to know about the construction field.

Is there pop warner football in Brownsville? Both of my older children are very active in Cheer and Football. Would just like to know! ANY info would help THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM

185 posts, read 463,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarronFamily View Post
My family and I are moving from California to Brownsville, TX in Febuary. Where is the best area to rent? I am looking for something affordable but needs to be kid friendly.

Also how easy is it to get into Law Enforcement. I have had a career in Law Enforcement for some time and would like to persue it in Texas. I would also like to know about the construction field.

Is there pop warner football in Brownsville? Both of my older children are very active in Cheer and Football. Would just like to know! ANY info would help THANKS!
Stay out of the Southmost area, I always here stuff in there on the nightly news, and my cousins live there so I know what goes on, you have to live in a nice neighborhood, but its not so aggressive like in the big cities here in Texas like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, we have more of a laid back lifestyle here. Ever think about entering the Border Patrol, the migra needs more guys like you, and you can get hired as a cop if you qualify. There is a lot of, a lot of drug and human trafficking here, like daily. Lastly, I don't think we have Pop Warner football, but there is some little league sports associations, smaller in magnitude than ol Pop. However, the middle schools and high schools have sufficient sports teams for your kids. Oh, and it helps to abla espanol, y tu no savez, pos a la mejor es un problema! Coming from Cali, I'm sure you guys know some though, or maybe you are Chicanos idk.

Welcome to Browntown! & the Rio Grande Valley

Old 11-24-2009, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,625 times
I've thought about Border Patrol....I think I'm more interested in the jails I have many years served in the Correction and Detention Facilities. I am so open for anything though. Here in California it takes up to 6 months for background, psych eval, polygraph, and other hoops to jump through. So I just wonder if the process is the same? I have found a lot of homes in Los Fresnos but havent heard any feedback about that town! I do see that there is only like 5,000 residence though

Old 11-24-2009, 05:34 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarronFamily View Post

If you are a California certified peace officer, you may be able to challenge TCLEOSE to get Texas certification

Check out this website for information: TCLEOSE - Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education

After that you can apply to the local departments, most of the smaller ones will hire you once you are certified. A few in Texas (DPS, Dallas...) require you to go through their own academy, but I don't know about the Brownsville area departments, you chould check their websites.

As for the time, Texas has high standards for law enforcement officers, there are many tests and steps. Having lived out of state, a background investigation might even take longer than usual. 4-6 months is probably a reasonable amount to expect, it might be shorter or longer depending on the department. Some are quick, some are not.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 10,377 times
Well to be honest Brownsville is a pretty spread out and has a population over 175,000 - 200,000 and when you include the surrounding suburbs and Matamoros, Mexico its over 1,000,000. Some of the areas to stay out of would be Southmost....alot of gang and drug activity is in that area i wouldnt be in that area at night, Cameron Park is also area you wanna stay out of, its like Southmost and has a lot of drug and gang activity but its centered on the Northeast side of the city kind of bordering the north side, Garden Park is also kinda like Cameron Park/Southmost but you never hear of anything going on in that area and its Brownsville's Westside and Downtown is also a area to stay out of at night it has a lot of homeless people, weirdos, some gang violence across the railroad tracks from downtown. But other then that the northside is a very safe place anything from price rd, FM 802/Ruben Torres Blvd, Pablo Kisel Blvd/Morrision Rd and Alton Gloor are very safe, the northside is the busiest side of town but there are things to do their like sunrise mall and different resturants and shops, you can also look at some of Brownsville's suburbs which include Olmito, Rancho Viejo, Los Fresnos and they are maybe about 10-20 minutes from the city itself. Brownsville Independent School District has some ok schools but Los Fresnos CISD tends to be the better school district as far as academics and athletics. Explore the city itself and see for yourself...if you need more help hit me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas