Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:06 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,625,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
Apartment complex that I've looked at for sale, paid very little in way of property taxes compared to homes, the argument could be that if commercial real estate is assessed properly, residential is not being assessed properly or its assessment is too high, many people believe that commercial real estate in Texas is under assessed, they have exemptions such as AG farms, using multiple properties in areas that don't have similar properties,etc

I presume not all commercial properties, list those details, some require you to appear in person or to sign non-disclosure agreements when you receive the data or may manipulate the data, I guess you can use rents and income for that building to figure out apartment complexes, but commercial real estate seems to vastly broad, are there areas where commercial is harder to assess.

I also not that you live in a more small town or rural area, have you been an assessor in more urbanized areas.
I've never been an assessor. Appraiser and tax consultant yes, assessor no. And I've lived in Dallas or a suburb of Dallas all of my life. It's where I do business, and it's pretty big. Don't know where you got that I am in a small town or rural area.

And nearly all commercial buildings are valued using the Income Approach, if that is what you are referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 PM

656 posts, read 1,421,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I've never been an assessor. Appraiser and tax consultant yes, assessor no. And I've lived in Dallas or a suburb of Dallas all of my life. It's where I do business, and it's pretty big. Don't know where you got that I am in a small town or rural area.

And nearly all commercial buildings are valued using the Income Approach, if that is what you are referring to.
One of the posters, lived in a small town, do the assessors use guys like you, or do they use their own techniques, sometimes the assessor can overlook things or not have the time to focus on certain locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas