Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 AM

12 posts, read 23,066 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing that Houston is better for jobs than Austin, but that the two cities are very different. What are the differences?

Last edited by houstoner; 04-28-2009 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Thread moved from Houston forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,708,717 times
Austin is a mid-sized college town. Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S. with many large colleges and an international population. They are just very different cities. Not much to compare in my opinion.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:48 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
This question has been asked several times before

Should I relocate to Houston or Austin?
Houston or Austin
Austin vs Houston

But to sum it up:

Austin is a mid-sized college town with a young population. It's now larger than average for a college town, yet most of the culture/arts and sports still are associated with the university. The west side of town is hilly (and expensive for Texas), lots of oak and cedar trees, a little drier than Houston, and the Colorado River has been made into a large lake that is very popular.

Houston is a major metro, the 4th largest US city and you'll most of the expected culture/arts and other big-city amenities you'd expect for that: wonderful museums, all the types of performing arts, great restaurants, shopping and pro sports. The terrain is flat but there are lots of different trees from tall pines to large oaks to palms, little creeks & bayous, and the beach is about an hour's drive.

As far as the jobs - I don't know if there's a huge difference right now. I know Houston is generally better as far as having a large variety of jobs in all kinds of fields. There are a few industries that are better in each city: Houston definitely for the medical field, oil/gas (as well as Dallas), and Austin possibly for high-tech/semiconductors, and state government.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
This question has been asked several times before

Should I relocate to Houston or Austin?
Houston or Austin
Austin vs Houston

But to sum it up:

Austin is a mid-sized college town with a young population. It's now larger than average for a college town, yet most of the culture/arts and sports still are associated with the university. The west side of town is hilly (and expensive for Texas), lots of oak and cedar trees, a little drier than Houston, and the Colorado River has been made into a large lake that is very popular.

Houston is a major metro, the 4th largest US city and you'll most of the expected culture/arts and other big-city amenities you'd expect for that: wonderful museums, all the types of performing arts, great restaurants, shopping and pro sports. The terrain is flat but there are lots of different trees from tall pines to large oaks to palms, little creeks & bayous, and the beach is about an hour's drive.

As far as the jobs - I don't know if there's a huge difference right now. I know Houston is generally better as far as having a large variety of jobs in all kinds of fields. There are a few industries that are better in each city: Houston definitely for the medical field, oil/gas (as well as Dallas), and Austin possibly for high-tech/semiconductors, and state government.
As having lived in both cities...this is quite a nice sum up! I find Austin a lot more "granola" (i.e. tree-hugger, everything organic, etc). But they have wonderful parks, etc. When I moved from Austin to Houston, Austenites that we were nuts!! But we love Houston! It's very diverse and you can pretty much find anything and everything here. And if you long for the hill country...it's a 3 hour drive away!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:03 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
When I moved from Austin to Houston, Austenites that we were nuts!!
Same thing happened to me!

Urban Dictionary: Austitude

Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Same thing happened to me!

Urban Dictionary: Austitude
They're just aggravated that their restaurants suck.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
Well let's see.....

Houston
Better nightlife
Better arts/culture
Better restaurants
Better shopping
Better public transportation
More diverse economy
Diverse population
Close to the beach
Less arrogant

Austin
Younger population
Better parks
Not as humid

That's all I can think of. Houston pretty much farts on Austin at everything.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
To me the humidity difference is not all that great, and their air temperatures can be higher in the summer.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:38 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
This should be in the City vs. City section of the Forum.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:54 PM

80 posts, read 251,174 times
I've lived in both Houston and Austin, and my family is from Houston.

Houston:

More job availability, and about as half as expensive as Austin. Houston is all about "sprawl." If you live outside the Inner Loop, you'll be in 'burbia, USA. If that's something that you can handle, well ... personally, it drove me insane. The job market is better, though, and because of the oil & gas presence, the economy is more protected than other big cities. One thing in Houston is that you have to realize that you're going to spend a lot of time in your car driving. Think in terms of more than two hours.

Nothing to do on weekends -- I mean, Houston is totally DEAD. For all of those people, you'd think that some of them would be out and about. It's just weird. Sure, there's a lot to "do," but unless you can afford expensive opera tickets or tickets to the latest "arena" event, you're somewhat screwed out of a nightlife.

The heat and humidity is UNBEARABLE in Houston. So is the rain. I've never been able to get used to it, and I'm from Texas. Fifteen minutes, and I am wiped out.

Austin is very different -- lots of green spaces. Lots of parks, gardens, museums, etc., that are free. Not to mention Town Lake, Barton Springs, Lake Travis ... it's a place where people spend a lot of time outdoors, and the lifestyle is generally healthier in that respect. When I moved to Houston, I'd meet people who were floored that I actually went out and ran or did outdoorsy things -- not par for the course there. Austin is also more liberal, and therefore, tolerant of alternative lifestyles. It can be annoyingly politically correct at times, which is the only beef that I have about it.

The biggest difference seems to be in the people. Austin has the highest percentage of people with post-grad degrees, and 49% of its population has is college-educated. It's a very erudite group of people, and it shows whenever you start meeting people. In Houston, not so much. I had a hard time finding a group of people to spend time with who shared my eclectic interests, except those living Downtown, Montrose, Museum District.

Depends on your lifestyle, your age, and your personality:

Austin: Best for well-educated single or young couples without children who are career-driven, have a healthy lifestyle, like to do things outdoors or go out in the evenings, and who are liberal/tolerant.

Houston: Married couples with children who stay in a lot, like the 'burbs, are conservative, religious (go to church), and put their main focus on bringing home a paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas