Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Natives of which city sound more Southern?
Dallas 6 27.27%
Houston 6 27.27%
pretty much the same 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:57 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Long term natives of which city have a more pronounced southern/Texan accent? Which city gets more northern transplants vs other southerners? How do the accents in both differ? I imagine Dallas is more typical Texas/Okie, while Houston has deep south influences?

Also would you say Dallas has more stereotypical 'Texan' culture? What about things like cuisine, are there some things you find more in Dallas than Houston? Is country music bigger in the Big D vs Houston, while hip hop, rap and EDM more popular in Houston?

Which city is more hispanic? I've only been to suburban Houston, but going to Walmart I noticed it dominated by Hispanics. Is black culture bigger in Houston? Which has more Asian culture? Which feels more international/global in general?

Last edited by The Postman; 12-28-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Who has a more Australian accent? Sydney or Melbourne? In Sydney, do they say "krikey", whereas in Melbourne, it's more of a typical Aussie "Bonzers!"

And who gets more transplants from Perth and Brisbane?

Old 12-27-2013, 11:55 PM

286 posts, read 406,651 times
Man these threads are getting dumber and dumber...

Old 12-28-2013, 08:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Long term natives of which city have a more pronounced southern/Texan accent? Which city gets more northern transplants vs other southerners? How do the accents in both differ? I imagine Dallas is more typical Texas/Okie, while Houston has deep south influences?

Also would you say Dallas has more stereotypical 'Texan' culture? What about things like cuisine, are there some things you find more in Dallas than Houston? Is country music bigger in the Big D vs Houston, while hip hop, rap and EDM more popular in Houston?

Which city is more hispanic? I've only been to suburban Houston, but going to Walmart I noticed it dominated by Hispanics. Is black culture bigger in Houston? Which has more Asian culture? Which feels more international/global in general?
Ok, Ill bite. But first, I have to clarify that these cities are much more similar than they are different.

Which city is more Southern: Houston
Which city is more Texan: Dallas

Ive said before and Ill say again, Houston is culturally more in line with Louisiana, Southern Mississippi and Alabama, as well as the Florida Panhandle. Dallas is culturally in line with the Great Plains of Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska.

I would not say either city is stereotypical Texan at all. Dallas reminds me more of the Great Plains vs. other parts of Texas and Houston more so of the Gulf portions of the South than other parts of Texas.

Musically, EDM is far more popular in Dallas. Dallas is actually one of the best place for EDM in all of the US. Hip-hop is far more popular in Houston and they have a renowned hip-hop scene. Neither city is really big on country, thats more Fort Worth and Austin.

As for which city is more international, Houston has the edge because of its economy. Both cities have huge immigrant populations. Houston's immigrant population is sitting at 1.3 million vs. Dallas' at 1.2 million. The difference is that Dallas is a Great Plains city that happens to have a huge immigrant population. Houston is a port city and that gives it the international advantage as well as the oil trade. Dallas does have huge international ties with India, the UK, Germany, Mexico, and Korea, but Houstons are more widespread.

Which city (area) has more Hispanic culture would be Houston. However, Dallas isn't exactly lagging in that department. In the cities alone, Houston is 44% Hispanic and Dallas is 42%. For the metro areas, Houston is 35% and Dallas is 28%. Neither city is lagging in Hispanic culture whatsoever.

Which city is bigger on black culture? Houston has more African-Americans and Dallas has more native born Africans, but overall probably Houston.

For Asian culture, Houston has more East Asian residents (except Koreans) and Dallas has more South Asian residents (except Pakistanis). Houston is going to offer more to Chinese, Filipinos, and Vietnamese (although the Vietnamese population in Dallas is still the 4th largest in the US). Dallas is going to offer more to Indians (although Houston still has a huge Indian population too) and Koreans. Everything else is a wash.

Hope that answers it.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
And from Dallas, you can fly directly to Australia on Qantas. It's now the world's longest air route. So you'll have to come over and find out for yourself.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Accents are the same for the most part.

Dallas is Baja Oklahoma with LOTS of Midwest transplants.

Houston is Gulf Coast with a strong Cajun/Creole/French influence due to its proximity to Southern Louisiana. Hell, half of New Orleans took up permanent residency in Houston after Hurricane Katrina & have't looked back since.

Quote:
Houston is more stereotypical Texan. Its diverse culinary scene is vastly superior to Dallas' IMO. Its no wonder Houstonians eat out more than any other city.

Country music in both cities is about equal. Dallas has one of the largest gay honky tonks in the US. Houston has the World's largest rodeo & is about the only time the city embrasses its Southern roots.

Dallas has always had the bigger EDM scene starting back in the 80's with famous clubs like Starck where the club drug Ecstacy was first introduced on US soil from Europe. Houston has been a Hip Hop city since the late 80's with groups like Geto Boys where Crack Cocaine & Codeine were the drugs of choice.

Quote:
Houston is more Hispanic, Black, Asian, & every other culture of the World.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-28-2013 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Man these threads are getting dumber and dumber...
What's so dumb about this thread? If you haven't anything useful to contribute then don't say anything.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 PM

Thanks a lot peterlemonjello, excellent in-depth comparison!

The comparison has always intrigued me because they're Texas' two biggest, important cities and they seem to be neck and neck in most areas. I've always read about how they're becoming less Southern, which is crying shame. I wouldn't want Dallas to be just like LA or something, where you can't tell whether someone is from Dallas or the Valley. Yes I've been to Austin, I get the feeling though it's relatively liberal it's still very southern and proud of it. You still hear southern accents etc quite a bit. I'd say Americana style music, country rock/blues and more rock-based music in general tend to define the sound of Austin, and in that sense it's more like a cousin of Nashville.

Interesting EDM is bigger in Dallas. I don't associate dance/club music as much with Texas, so it's cool the scene is jumping there. I'm surprised at how multicultural Houston is now, Texas has evolved a lot.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:22 PM

Interesting Metro Matt. I never thought of Dallas as having euro-style electronica, but there you go.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
And from Dallas, you can fly directly to Australia on Qantas. It's now the world's longest air route. So you'll have to come over and find out for yourself.
I know, it's kind of strange. Sydney to Dallas is like a 17 hour flight, the second longest in the world, it's a bit crazy if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas