Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 PM

46 posts, read 153,166 times

Advertisements

We are moving from El Paso to Harlingen this summer. My husband has Valley Baptist Hospital assigned as his clinical site and we will be there for a year. Ive never been to RGV farthest east I have gone is Houston. I need some info on the area. I was looking at Bayview and a couple of towns around Harlingen. From researching the area the 78550 has a large number of sex offenders and was hoping to stay clear of that area. My husband will have to commute daily and willing to no more than 45 min a day. I dont mind living outside Harlingen if it means safer, nicer and quieter. I have 2 children that will be entering their freshman year and wanted to know if there are any charter schools or secular schools in the area. Ive searched online and only find nonsec schools. Ive researched all the demos on the area but wanted some real life input. You know the kind of secrets only the locals know. Ive never seen Harlingen or even heard of this place before so ANY info will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 PM

321 posts, read 838,306 times
Harlingen Mom looking for other secular and/or unschooling familes

Old 04-21-2009, 01:49 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
Treasure Hills is a nice area of Harlingen, and close to the hospitals. Harlingen South is the high school, but there is also Med High in Mercedes that's a really good school. I believe it's charter. Anyone in the Valley can go if they meet the requirements. I'm not sure what those are you might want to contact them if interested. Med High - Index

Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Treasure Hills I cant find that on the map. My kids are a little anxious whats there to do for teens? My daughter's assistant director Grandmother lives in Harlingen and told me they opened up some nice malls. Other threads make Harlingen sound like a ghost town. Whats the deal?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schog View Post
Treasure Hills I cant find that on the map. My kids are a little anxious whats there to do for teens? My daughter's assistant director Grandmother lives in Harlingen and told me they opened up some nice malls. Other threads make Harlingen sound like a ghost town. Whats the deal?
what are your kids like?

there are usually shows in mcallen on the weekends.

if theyre into eco stuffs there's PLENTY to do.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 PM

They're typical teenagers. One is having to leave her metal band and the other is a nature girl. That's the one that's excited. They are band geeks at their school and hope to continue playing at whatever high school we land on. The only thing is that they are Latina but do not speak Spanish. We had a problem at one school in NM where they were the odd ones out and of course weren't in on the inside joke (them). Were hoping to not have that repeated. So I'm a little leery about what school to send them too. Reading some of the posts has me a little scared. Were looking forward to living by a coast we used to live on the northwest coast so this is sort of cool to live by an opposite coast.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
The mall in Harlingen is lacking. I think the floors have been redone but as for shopping, not good. There is a Dillards and a JC Penney and possibly a Sears if it's still there but the rest of the stores in the mall, from what I remember, won't interest your teens.

There is a new outlet mall that has opened up in Mercedes, about 20 minutes or so away Rio Grande Valley Outlet Mall stores Mercedes Outlet Mall

Treasure Hills is a subdivision/housing area of Harlingen, directly northeast of the Valley Baptist Hospital, I would say about a mile away. Another nice area is the Country Club area off of Stuart Place Road on the west side of Harlingen.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Treasure Hills is a nice area of Harlingen, and close to the hospitals. Harlingen South is the high school, but there is also Med High in Mercedes that's a really good school. I believe it's charter. Anyone in the Valley can go if they meet the requirements. I'm not sure what those are you might want to contact them if interested. Med High - Index
Thanks Spree, spoke to a RA today and will take a look around Treasure Hills next month when we go scouting. Thanks again

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM

Anyone know anything about Early College High School? What the difference from Harlingen High and Harlingen South. What would anyone recommend?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:55 AM

100 posts, read 446,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schog View Post
They're typical teenagers. One is having to leave her metal band and the other is a nature girl. That's the one that's excited. They are band geeks at their school and hope to continue playing at whatever high school we land on. The only thing is that they are Latina but do not speak Spanish. We had a problem at one school in NM where they were the odd ones out and of course weren't in on the inside joke (them). Were hoping to not have that repeated. So I'm a little leery about what school to send them too. Reading some of the posts has me a little scared. Were looking forward to living by a coast we used to live on the northwest coast so this is sort of cool to live by an opposite coast.

There's a lot of kids who can't speak Spanish in the valley and are Mexican. yeah they get picked on a bit, but isn't that a part of growing up? As long as they can stand up for themselves (a simple shut up it's annoying will suffice) they'll be fine. Fact is, the students are just giving them a hard time for the sake of it, not like they're really trying to shun them out of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas