Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:55 AM

819 posts, read 1,750,890 times

Advertisements

I live in san marcos tx.try looking around here.my child has downs and the schools do great here.this is a small collage town 30 miles south of austin and students love working with kids like my son.good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,125 times
Smile Thank you so much for responding . . . .

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. There are so many things to research when considering a 1000+-mile move for a family of 9!
We certainly feel led to Texas, mainly because of the need for medical foster parents in both the Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston areas. Our hearts are totally devoted to this work (both fostering and adopting). We ernestly hope to start a non-profit ministry for foster/adopted children with special needs, in conjunction with our move to Texas.
We really appreciate the work advise too, as Damith will need to find some type of job (and we had heard that jobs were easier to find throughout Texas).
Warmest regards,
Lesa and Damith

Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 8,370 times
If you move, yes, be sure to have a job before you come. My husband moved here first before having a job in 1987. He had a job within two weeks and is still at it. But the eighties are gone. It's hard to find a job out there.

Plano, McKInney, Frisco might be the best option for a special needs child, but again, you must be prepared to advocate or have an advocate. Advocacy Inc. is a state funded advocacy program and they will send an advocate to an ARD with you at no cost. But they won't do it every time. Go to Wright's Law.com to learn how to advocate for your special needs child.

Austin may have better services for children with autism. ThoughtfulHouse Center for children is there. Dr. Kaplan, Dr. Krigsman, and Dr. Andrew Wakefield are associated with this clinic. They are some of the best and most knowledgeable in the nation.

Texas ranks near the bottom for education children with autism. It takes a lot of work advocating for appropriate services for your ASD child in Texas.

I am a native Texan, and I want to warn you:the winters are mild, but the summer is unbearably hot. Summer usuallystarts in May and does not end until the end of September. -shygirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas