Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 PM

341 posts, read 691,146 times

Advertisements

my husband and I are thinking of moving to texas. we are coming in May to look around. We are considering north eastern texas. We do not need need to be where there are jobs. We like a medium size town around 25k to 30k people. We actually prefer to live outside city limits. We like some greenery and oak or pine trees. We are thinking of leaving California. We are conservative christians and are tired of the politics here. The liberals run the state and the conservative vote means nothing. The polititians have run this state into the ground. Any information would be appreciated. I have done some research on Sherman, greenville, and jefferson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:52 AM

595 posts, read 2,730,442 times
A lot of Californians are making their way to our area of the state. The NE part of Texas is for the most part is considered conservative, Christian and by some outsiders...a little too much of each. We moved here from the DFW area and have not looked back. We live about 11 miles north of Tyler which has a population of 100,000 or so. Longview is 35 miles east of here and I believe has a population of around 40,000. Greenville is about 50 miles north of here and I'm not really sure of the population but I would put it around 20,000. The home market is excellent. There is excellent medical care in Tyler with two large hospitals that have a trauma 1 center. The DFW area is just about 80 to 100 miles from this area of Texas depending on where you live. There are some good advice givers on this board...so if you have questions....ask away!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:25 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,252,476 times
Sherman is a nice town.......really, Sherman and Denison are almost one town now with the new growth on the highway in between then. Great shopping/restaurants gone in within the past 5 years in Town Center, two good medical centers (one in each town). Sherman is a little cleaner town (Denison started out as an old railroad town and loooks like it) and has newer homes to choose from. That area is less than an hour straight down 75 to McKinney (100,000 people), a Dallas suburb with all kinds of everything you'd ever want or need.

You might want to look at Pottsboro, also.....it's about 10 minutes outside Denison, lots of nice new homes, right on the lake, excellent school system.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:41 PM

341 posts, read 691,146 times
Thanks for info. I have looked at that area some on the internet around Jefferson. We are early 50's and retired(worked two jobs each from 35 til now to be able to do this) We will be coming to your area in May to look around Jefferson. We would like about 5 acres outside of the city limits if which ever area we choose. We are planning on building but renting a place while we do that. My parents are moving with us and will be purchasing small 1500 to 2000sf house. We do need to be somewhat near medical facilities. My husband is real outdoorsy and would like to be close to where we can ride our ATV. We picked the ne because it looks more green and treed. Also a requirement of my husband. We have some friends in Amarillo and have spent some time there. Alittle dry and too windy. How is the wind in your area. We have a daughter that lives in Edmond, OK that is why we are looking more north texas. School system is not an issue.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:04 PM

595 posts, read 2,730,442 times
Jefferson is a pretty place. I would say it is probably the least conservative area of NE Texas. Spent the weekend there about 9 months ago and there seem to be a lot of Harley riders there. Way too loud for us. The closest large medical facilities would be Shreveport, LA. You shouldn't have any problem finding land in that area. The house for your folks should be easy to find also. Good prices! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,256,935 times
Jefferson is a beautiful area w/ access to both Lake o the Pines and Caddo Lakes. The Nature Conservancy also has a large plot of property there between the two lake along the Big Cypress. You might want to concentrate on areas just south of Jefferson. This would allow you to get to the WalMart and other shopping in Marshall more quickly. There is only one grocery in Jefferson and it is somewhat limited IMO. Other areas in that general vicinity to check out might be Harleton that will give you access to Marshall or the medical center in Longview equally. Also, Ore City at the west end of the lake (Jefferson is at the east end) with easy access to Longview down 259. Going a little eastward, you might want to check out Uncertain near Caddo lake. That is a pretty little town with access to Jefferson, Marshall, and Shreveport.
I would recommend looking at either end or south of the lake if you would like easier access to good medical facilities. My grandmother currently lives on the lake (adress is Jefferson but Harleton is closer) and we go into Longview for her care.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM

216 posts, read 938,730 times
Longview actually has a population of 80,000 or so. There are several smaller towns and communities in all directions that could work well for you. Hallsville, Harleton and Diana are good choices close to Longview. Might even look at East Mountain or toward Gilmer.

Since hospitals are an issue for you, Longview and Tyler both have good options available. Might be worth it to look at some options around Gladewater, Liberty City, Kilgore or Henderson.

If I were guiding my parents in a decision such as this, I would respect their wishes to be out of the city ... but would want them as close to Longview or Tyler and the good hospitals as they could be.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 9,756 times
Wink look at lake o'pines

groups.yahoo.com/group/LakeOPines

the water is super clean and the fishing is great. locate on the NE side to get the cool breezes.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:35 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,267,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
Longview is 35 miles east of here and I believe has a population of around 40,000.
The population of Longview is approximately 77,000. It's a wonderful place, populated by good people, but just like any city it has its good spots and bad. Kilgore is another wonderful small town (population approximately 12,000); I lived there for 4 years and miss it terribly.

You could also look into Marshall, which is another appealing small city. Good luck, and take care.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM

37,352 posts, read 60,121,643 times
Tyler has better medical facilities but there is still plenty of rural land outside town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas