Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 03:37 AM

2 posts, read 13,341 times

Advertisements

Hello to All.

I am a disabled vet currently living in Panama and want to bring my family to the Rayburn/Toledo Bend area preferably somewhere inbetween. I am an avid fisherman and Sam Rayburn is my favorite lake.

I am looking for a rental house 3 bed 2 bath but do not know who to go thru or how to find something online since Jasper's paper is only occasional at best. I am looking to move around May.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Last edited by cw4rotorhead; 02-18-2009 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
look into VRBO.com they should have something. Good luck fishing.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 AM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
I assume that you moving here? If so I would first go to www.realtor.com

Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
vrbo does have listings for the lake area but those are more short-term rentals and expensive for long-term stays like months at a time
vacationrentals.com is another site like that
craigslist in houston had this listing in Jan
http://houston.craigslist.org/vac/1005003239.html (broken link)
and this one in feb

http://houston.craigslist.org/reo/1036275473.html (broken link)

does it matter that you are or are not close to VA facilities if you are DV yourself? do you have to have any special facilities/layout like one-floor house...many of these houses are two-story and have master up for better view...

I would do google search of Lake Sam Rayburn and then do business search for real estate rentals or house rentals--lots of local RE companies come up in different areas around there...one report mentions good experience renting from RE agency but don't know that house was on the lake...

check out Lakehouse.com site--you can search for lots/homes to rent or buy
organized by lakes...this is one listing but you can see that it would be expensive long term
Lake House for Rent at Sam Rayburn Lake in Broaddus, Texas lake vacations, lake rentals, vacation rentals, lake house rental, lake home rental, for rent, homes, rentals, lakefront, waterfront

Cedar Creek Lake has the most rentals from what I saw--34--but lots of those are weekenders...

this is similar site with house to rent (1800 a mo) looks pretty new and nice
http://www.vacationsfrbo.com/details..._id=37803#next

check out the local chamber of commerce or lake page--

Sam Rayburn Lake Texas Real Estate, Information, Maps, Vacation Rentals and More!
link to rentals

also check out Lufkin which is larger town (I think) than Jasper and see if that paper has listings

and be aware that drought could have affected lake levels in that area
up further north in DFW area--lakes are down 3 ft or more in some areas...

Last edited by loves2read; 02-18-2009 at 07:53 AM..

Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 13,341 times
Waterfront is not a nessesity at all. I have a 3yr old I have to worry about. I have no mobility problems and a 2 story would be OK. I am looking for long term (1yr) until I can get situated financially and can buy. I will be shipping my furniture but will need to buy a vehicle also.

I was stationed at Ft. Polk in the 80's and fell in love with both lakes and want to return to the great fishing. I vowed to someday retire in that area and now I want to make that a reality as well as have a future for my son.

I do want to stay somewhere between the lakes from Jasper north.

Thanks for the great info.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
good luck
think there are probably people trying to sell their property if they are having financial squeeze but don't know about renting--that can be real problem

one thing I did not consider until now is that usually in smaller, more rural towns the VFW is pretty strong organization--maybe if you google for VFW in Jasper or other local towns you could call/contact that location and just explain your situation

local people often know stuff that the Internet is totally blind to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas