Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:32 PM

24 posts, read 87,198 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are looking to move back we miss the quite we are in las vegas nv ight now and i hate this place i feel ugh this place is just horrible with in the next year we are going to be moving and i want to go back to texas thats where i want my family to be (also would like to be where folks know what the PBR is lol ) any help on some town names would be great i know we are gonna be maybe looking for an apartment for maybe 6 months or so first then we want a house with a little land i want my horses back and any help would be great thanks yall in advance im looking to not be to far off fromt he HWY that goes up threw OKC cause i have my son with my ex who lives in Midwest city OK and id like to make it some what easy to deal with him too lol

Last edited by southerncharm86; 01-13-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,025,612 times
Check out Brady and Mason. Very cute towns northwest of Fredericksburg. Beautiful scenery. One of them is the exact geographic center of Texas. Can't remember which one, but I think it's Mason.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 PM

24 posts, read 87,198 times
ok thank you

Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 PM

492 posts, read 962,822 times
Brady and Mason are probly the two most perfectly placed towns in Texas.

Elevation, weather, location, rock bottom creeks. When I was a kid we went to a tower somewhere near there billed as 'the heart of Texas'. You could climb up for a view miles around.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,390,486 times
SAN SABA, HAMILTON,LAMPASAS, GATESVILLE, BRADY, MASON, GOLDWAITHE...and we know what PBR is here, that's for dang sure. but ropin' is VERY big here. and we have great cowboy churches..i love mine! my cowboy church has its own arena, lots of ropin's, playdays, jackpots, buckouts, and you can bring your dogs to church! (held in a big steel pole barn)...and lots of country music. LIFE IS GREAT IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,997 times
Junction. In my searching for a place with less humidity, but still decent terrain, Junction is good. They get very few tornadoes there too, even less than Brady or Mason, at least past history tells that.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,390,486 times
agreed..and good huntin' there too!

by the way, did anyone read the most recent issue of Hill Country Magazine? awesome article about San Saba....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Junction. In my searching for a place with less humidity, but still decent terrain, Junction is good. They get very few tornadoes there too, even less than Brady or Mason, at least past history tells that.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,014,980 times
Marble Falls, Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Bandera, Dripping Springs, Blanco, Johnson City.....those are also some very nice small towns that are mostly located on Hw.281 which also heads up north just like I-35 but with more scenery, and less traffic.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,722,778 times
Without much time spent in the extreme Western parts of Texas (Big Bend), I can proudly say that I've been through nearly all of Texas. I recently drove and spent time with people in Central Texas. I stayed on ranches from Terrell (SW of Dallas) to San Angelo to Fredericksburg, just to name a few.

In terms of friendliest, clean open-spaces and cheap livin' with a rural lifestyle, I would say my favorite little town "away-from-it-all" to live in would probably be Comanche, Texas. I spent some time there by accident when I intended to go somewhere else. The town square is beautiful and the cafes and shops along the square were bustlin' with activity. One still paid for his meal by tossing a few quarters and bills on a glass counter with an old lady that typed only with her index finger and greeted you with a smile. Yes, she still said "ya'll come back now!" Comanche was far enough from the big 3 metros (Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) that land was still cheap and the people still had the pioneer spirit and blood, yet a small enough inkling of diversity was creeping in--in other words, cowboy hats are still common, but you could see a peppering of newsboy-hats, baseball caps and some women wore the old 1920s hats. I always thought you could learn a lot about a town's citizens this way.

You can always move to a big city, but you can't always move to a small town.

Last edited by doss1; 01-14-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Without much time spent in the extreme Western parts of Texas (Big Bend), I can proudly say that I've been through nearly all of Texas. I recently drove and spent time with people in Central Texas. I stayed on ranches from Terrell (SW of Dallas) to San Angelo to Fredericksburg, just to name a few.

In terms of friendliest, clean open-spaces and cheap livin' with a rural lifestyle, I would say my favorite little town "away-from-it-all" to live in would probably be Comanche, Texas. I spent some time there by accident when I intended to go somewhere else. The town square is beautiful and the cafes and shops along the square were bustlin' with activity. One still paid for his meal by tossing a few quarters and bills on a glass counter with an old lady that typed only with her index finger and greeted you with a smile. Yes, she still said "ya'll come back now!" Comanche was far enough from the big 3 metros (Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) that land was still cheap and the people still had the pioneer spirit and blood, yet a small enough inkling of diversity was creeping in--in other words, cowboy hats are still common, but you could see a peppering of newsboy-hats, baseball caps and some women wore the old 1920s hats. I always thought you could learn a lot about a town's citizens this way.

You can always move to a big city, but you can't always move to a small town.
I'm just curious TexasNick.....Did you like Comanche better than the Doss and Harper area? Was it as pretty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas