Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,434 times

Advertisements

I am interested in opinions that people have of smaller communities from Corpus Christi up the coast to Galveston. I can find the stats and all myself, I just wanted to get opinions of anything anyone might feel is relevant.

I may be looking to relocate and I have some specific criteria.

1. I have lived in the desert a while and I don't mind it, but I do miss the rain. So I would like a location that receives at least 30 inches of rain a year average. That appears to start just north of Corpus Christi and increases up to the coast.

2. I like palms and tropical looking foliage. Something in zone 9 or zone 10 would be ideal. All of the Texas coast seems to meet this criteria.

3. I don't really care for big cities so I am mainly looking at smaller communities. Corpus may be ok, but I have heard many negative things about the city. More opinions on this would be helpful.

4. Waterfront is not necessary since it usually very expensive and in my opinion not worth the added cost. But if someone knows of affordable waterfront it could be considered.

5. Waterview would be nice. Maybe something where you can see the ocean but not directly on it.

Based on these criteria I believe that the communities north of Corpus and just south of Victoria would be ideal. Any opinions on Seadrift, Port O'Conner, Port Lavaca, or the towns up the coast from Corpus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 AM

10 posts, read 35,315 times
I live in Corpus Christi, and I love it. It has a laid back atmosphere with the amenities of a city. The beaches are close as are ranches. It is the ideal place for my family because the cost of living is great, there is plenty to do, and my son and I love the school he is in.

There are several homes with a water view. Of course, the prices of those homes reflect that. Port Aransas, Aransas Pass and the Island will have properties with a water view. They range from small to large, so it just depends on what you need in a home.

I have also read many negative posts about the city...I think that reflects that people tend to vent about their dislikes and so often happy people don't take the time to share their opinion. If you have time, come check the area out. I would be happy to show you around when you are in town.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Port Lavaca would be my first choice of the places you mentioned because of its size. My guess is it would probably work for you since you didn't mention the word "beach." Port Lavaca's beach area is tiny, so it's not a major tourist destination.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,413,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I am interested in opinions that people have of smaller communities from Corpus Christi up the coast to Galveston. I can find the stats and all myself, I just wanted to get opinions of anything anyone might feel is relevant.

I may be looking to relocate and I have some specific criteria.

3. I don't really care for big cities so I am mainly looking at smaller communities. Corpus may be ok, but I have heard many negative things about the city. More opinions on this would be helpful.
Why would you let other peoples negative comments and experiences deter you from moving somewhere you yourself may desire/enjoy? You should come to Corpus yourself and develop your own opinion based on your experience. For all you know it could be your own little paradise, but you would never know it unless you visit. If you are interested in something, experience it. I understand this is based on your research. But what better research than experiencing it firsthandedly?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,743 times
Do you have kids? I think Galveston can be okay for a single or a couple (depending on your employment options), but I usually don't suggest it for those with kids just based on my knowledge of most of the schools there.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Why would you let other peoples negative comments and experiences deter you from moving somewhere you yourself may desire/enjoy? You should come to Corpus yourself and develop your own opinion based on your experience. For all you know it could be your own little paradise, but you would never know it unless you visit. If you are interested in something, experience it. I understand this is based on your research. But what better research than experiencing it firsthandedly?
I agree with gabetx. I personally love Corpus Christi and have never had a bad experience there. But, it's definitely somewhere that you need to form your own opinion. Not just base your entire decision on someone's opinion alone without doing your own homework.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM

366 posts, read 1,442,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
Do you have kids? I think Galveston can be okay for a single or a couple (depending on your employment options), but I usually don't suggest it for those with kids just based on my knowledge of most of the schools there.

There is a Magnet School here in Galveston that takes 5th-8th graders and a private high schools here as well.

Galveston can be a great option for you (just because we were hit by Ike does'nt mean were still in bad shape.) There are lots of things to do here (learn about Galveston's history, Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, the beach and events (next event Mardi Gras Feb14th - Feb28th.) Lots of things you can do here but, if you I would decide you want to live in Galveston, look for a job first before you come here.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,434 times
Thanks for the replies everyone, I thought this thread was going to die.

Quote:
I have also read many negative posts about the city...I think that reflects that people tend to vent about their dislikes and so often happy people don't take the time to share their opinion. If you have time, come check the area out. I would be happy to show you around when you are in town.
Thanks that's very generous. A friend of mine has a boat down in Corpus and he has invited me to go with him next time he goes down there so I will probably make a trip soon. It will be fun to get around and actually see the area. I have been to Corpus before on business, but the business I was in at the time involved the petrochemical industry so all I really experienced was the airport, a cheap motel, and the refinery area.

Quote:
Port Lavaca would be my first choice of the places you mentioned because of its size. My guess is it would probably work for you since you didn't mention the word "beach." Port Lavaca's beach area is tiny, so it's not a major tourist destination.
I am very interested in Port Lavaca. It looks like it may be something of a "sleeper"( I mean that in a good way) and maybe more affordable than other coastal areas.

Quote:
Even my friend who keeps his boat down there says to avoid Corpus proper, so I guess I was hoping for someone to defend the city. You're right though, it's only my opinion and my families opinion that matters and I do intend to make a trip soon.

Quote:
There is a Lucidus jr. on the way so education will be an issue. Personally I think of Galveston as being a little too big cityish, as part part of Houston's sphere of influence.

Quote:
I agree with gabetx. I personally love Corpus Christi and have never had a bad experience there. But, it's definitely somewhere that you need to form your own opinion. Not just base your entire decision on someone's opinion alone without doing your own homework.
I agree also.

Quote:
There is a Magnet School here in Galveston that takes 5th-8th graders and a private high schools here as well.

Galveston can be a great option for you (just because we were hit by Ike does'nt mean were still in bad shape.) There are lots of things to do here (learn about Galveston's history, Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, the beach and events (next event Mardi Gras Feb14th - Feb28th.) Lots of things you can do here but, if you I would decide you want to live in Galveston, look for a job first before you come here.
Sounds like you agree that the schools aren't so great unless it's a magnet or private school.

It looks like the best thing about Galveston is relation to the other places is that there are a lot more amenities. Humm.. I will have to give Galveston another look, but it's still the dark horse.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 PM

808 posts, read 3,649,009 times
Do you need employment, or are you retired? If it is the latter, try looking into Bayside, TX...it's a quiet seaside village on Copano Bay. No million dollar houses here...no grocery stores, either. But there is a REALLY good hamburger joint on the main highway. For grocery, I think you have to drive to Rockport, Portland, or Refugio, but there might be something closer...I don't really know.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Bayside-Texas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas