Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:53 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omiks3 View Post
True, but we're known for it. We're not called the Sun City for nothing.
And we have a mascot to go along with the name.. the AMIGO-MAN.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 PM

39 posts, read 106,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
El paso and McAllen with high crime rates?!?!? Are you kidding me? El paso is the third safest city in the country!!! And not everywhere in El Paso is poor, only certain parts are, and that is like that in every city, including San Antonio!
And San Antonio is 61.3% Hispanic, and I don't know why you bring in hispanic with high crime rates and poverty, but that is messed up.

Well go with San Antonio though haha as a person in your age group, you wouldn't like the way people drive here in El Paso, but the entire state of Texas is awesome!!! Moving to any of these cities is great.

agreed that the whole state is awesome.

so much diversity within one state from rural to small cities to big cities all hours away from each other..you never get board in this state .

car,flights,amtrack can take you from one plave to another in matter of hours..

you have big cities like Houston and Dallas which are fun in their own way .

offer everything big cities offer:restaurants,clubs,shopping..

then you have medium size cities like Austin and San Antonio with are great to live in ffer great jobs,good scools,lots of recreation including surrounding areas.

Then there are the beaches that some mention..

and Texas location is also great cause you are close to everything..

Old 05-23-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrazberyx View Post
hello everyone! i am a native Ohioan that is considering a new job as a nurse in McAllen TX. I am 22 and I have no clue what mcallen is like. Is it a fun place for a 22 year old? I am half black and half filipino, but im adopted by a white family so im very diverse! What is the culture like? Is it primarily hispanic or are there other large minority groups? anything anyone can tell me would be helpful! thanks so much!

I have never been to McAllen,if you are 22 you might get bored?? But then again if you have a car and want to go to get out San Antonio is near by,Houston is not that far,and the beaches are not that far either.

I do not know how adventurous you are ,Monterrey ,Mexico is a few hours away and from there you can connect to Puerto Vallarta ,Mexico City.,cancun,etc.

vivaaerobus(including direct cheap service to Monterrey and Cancun ),aviacsa and many others have great connections from Monterrey
to Puerto Vallarta,Mexico City,Acapulco,Cancun...which are great place for a 22 or any age as a matter of fact and even Monterrey itsself has the casco antiguo,etc where young people congregate..Monterrey also has a great Tec school so many people from all over the world go there.

There are a lot of low cost carriers serving Texas now,among them:

Viva aerobus direct service from Austin to Monterrey and Cancun

Spirit Airlines cheap direct service from San Antonio to Fort LAuderdale

JetBlue direct service from Austin to Fort Lauderdale,Orlando,Tampa..

Jetway Express direct service from San Antonio to Alburquerque and so on...

Not far north within Texas is Austin which is great for a person your age..

Old 05-23-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC1968 View Post
Sorry--they are similar.
They are all similar:ALL MEXICAN

Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoptimus View Post
You have all the right to believe that but I also have the right to say that the only similarities SA has with "the Valley" is their Mexican/Latin culture/influence and they're both in the state of Texas. I guess also they're both in the same humid sub tropic
region of climate that 1/4 of the US is also in.

1/4 where do you get your math from??

its more like not even even 1/16th .

The only TRUE humid subtropical area within the continental USA ,and I mean HUMID is the southern tip of Florida:Palm Beach ,Broward ,Dade counties and the Florida Keys.

1/2 of the USA is freezing during the winter gives me the blues

Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Well my personal opinion would be either San Antonio or to look into Austin, Dallas or Houston.

I am not saying the valley or El Paso would not be good, but they aren't growing as fast as these cities. Plus I bet you would like the big city feel of Houston or the downtown Austin area. Dallas, for some reason, despite being a megalopolis, has a small town Texas feel to it. Houston has an international urban feeling to it, and in my opinion San Antonio has a really urban feeling as well.

But if you are looking for a slower pace of life and a smaller city, I recommend you look at McAllen, Laredo, or El Paso. Even look into other small cities like Waco or my hometown Corpus Christi. Corpus Christi has been growing a lot in the last few years and is finally starting to develope nicely. The cost of living here is really cheap compared to anywhere north of San Antonio. It has a nice small town feel to it in many parts except for downtown, SPID, and Saratoga. Those have a semi urban feel to them. Not to mention Corpus Christi has minor league baseball, Corpus Christi Hooks, the AA affiliate of the Houston Astros. Corpus also has Arena Football and Minor League Hockey. Also we have Division-I college basketball.

Anyways, the top two cities I would recommend for an urban feel would be Houston or San Antonio. For a small town feel, Corpus Christi or McAllen.

If race is an issue for you, which I hope it is not, then Texas is not the place. In every major city, the Hispanic ethneticity is the majority race.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:17 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe123 View Post
agreed that the whole state is awesome.

so much diversity within one state from rural to small cities to big cities all hours away from each other..you never get board in this state .

car,flights,amtrack can take you from one plave to another in matter of hours..

you have big cities like Houston and Dallas which are fun in their own way .

offer everything big cities offer:restaurants,clubs,shopping..

then you have medium size cities like Austin and San Antonio with are great to live in ffer great jobs,good scools,lots of recreation including surrounding areas.

Then there are the beaches that some mention..

and Texas location is also great cause you are close to everything..
San Antonio is not a medium sized city. It has a bigger population than Dallas.

Although Dallas is more of an Internation city if that is what you are going by.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe123 View Post
1/4 where do you get your math from??

its more like not even even 1/16th .

The only TRUE humid subtropical area within the continental USA ,and I mean HUMID is the southern tip of Florida:Palm Beach ,Broward ,Dade counties and the Florida Keys.

1/2 of the USA is freezing during the winter gives me the blues
That poster was probably talking about this.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humid_subtropical_climate]Humid subtropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 AM

55 posts, read 165,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albino109 View Post
Just trying to get a heads up about the areas. Which is better? I live in NY now and are going to buy an investment property in one of those areas based off of figures that have proved to be very tempting, within the next month. I am trying to decide between the 3 places. Any thoughts on what might be better. I have done some research and I want a local or someone who really knows those areas, opinion. From what I see McAllen is being built up leaps and bounds right now. El Paso is being built but now as rapid and San Antonio comming in 3rd. So I know that, but I guess what I am really interested in is the crime. Which has the least amount of crime? The nicest surrounding land... etc... someone please help with your thoughts and elaborate on my questions.

thanks in advance.
San Antonio my friend.....the other cities may be building at a much faster pace but s.a. is building to fit a different economy.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
el paso is in the high desert and the mountains. the main problem with el paso is it is quite isolated. it does have actual seasons, with occasional snow on the mountains. i lived there for many years. it's consistently ranked as one of the safest larger cities in the country. i now live in mcallen, and we had temps over 100 in january & february. mcallen is continuing to grow, with many new businesses opening. it's also close to the beach @ south padre island. the crime here is fairly low, but it doesn't feel as safe as el paso. the general population in mcallen is not as "laid back" as el paso, but it is a nice place to live, in spite of what many people on these boards say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas