Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,077 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are living in Portland, OR and want to relocate to a more affordable place with less rain We looked around the internet and saw a house in Red River County we are interested in. I didn't find any information about that county and wonder if anybody out there can give us some information. The house we are interested in is near Clarksville.

Appreciate all the information we can get. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,991 times
Hello kagicre,
We (my wife and I) live in Lamar county which is the county just west of Red River co. We have been here nearly five years, having moved from Tucson (what a f#*^ed up place), AZ. I will try to give you a thumbnail sketch of the area in general, warts and all.

Red River is a very rural county. I'm not sure of the county population, Clarksville is about 8,000. Not a lot of industry there, I'm not really sure what all of the people do for a living. There is a pallet factory and I suppose there is some government employment. I know some of the people drive to Paris, which is 30 miles away for work, which I think of as a CA commute. Real estate prices are cheap, compared to the west coast. The weather is great, imho, although we did have a lot of rain this year, 60 inches +, normal is about 45. Snow is not unusual and it does get hot and humid in the summer, but the spring and fall is great. As a rule, the people are very friendly. These are a few of the good things (I hope).

Now for the not so good. The shopping is non-existent. Texarkana is east about an hour. All of the big names, Target, K-Mart, wally world. Dallas is two-two and a half hours west. There is no social life to speak of. Red River is a dry county, one town has a liquor store, screwy Texas liquor laws, dry county but still an incorporated town can vote in off-sale liquor sales, go figure. The people are somewhat backward, and I don't mean that in a meanspirited way, they just have never been anywhere else. So if your have lived and worked in different areas of the U S, you will find people that don't know there is any place other than Clarksville, Texas. And last but not least, the good ol' boy system is still in place. Local politics are still down and dirty and sometimes trying to get something done within the government, whether city or county, can be a trying experience.

I hope I haven't scared you off! I would research some more real estate offerings in other areas before deciding on Clarksville. I found our place on the internet, but did a lot of looking first. Also, we came and spent a week here and looked at the area before buying and moving.

Any other information that I can give you, feel free to PM me and I will try to help.

whitetxson

Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,077 times
Thank you so much, whitetxson, I now have a better picture of the area. We do look into other areas too, maybe not so rual. You helped a lot.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Hi, my husband and I are living in Portland, OR and want to relocate to a more affordable place with less rain We looked around the internet and saw a house in Red River County we are interested in. I didn't find any information about that county and wonder if anybody out there can give us some information. The house we are interested in is near Clarksville.

I lived in Smith County, worked in Gregg County and had many work related forays into Red River County.

Absolutely do not buy anywhere in East Texas on a whim. That part of the state is definitely an acquired taste and I think you are really asking for trouble if you leave the Pacific Northwest for an exceptionally small town deep in the woods of East Texas. It sounds like you need to take 60 days vacation and travel around the state for a while.

East Texas can be very agreeable for people who are financially independent, don't want to be bothered and don't mind living an isolated existence, but...

The county is very sparsely populated at around 15,000 people, the per capita income is about $15,000/year and about 9% of the residents have a bachelor's degree or higher. Unless this is exactly what you're looking for, nothing in Red River County is going to blow your skirt up.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,737 times
Anybody know anything about New Boston, Texas in Bowie county? High school is of a real interest. We will be retiring and not in need of work; so, jobs are not an issue.
Thanks,
'Bent Miles
[mod]see comment[/mod]

Last edited by Bo; 08-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, do not post manual signatures or links to your own sites.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:47 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,308 times
Calling WalMart "Wally World" must be a West Coast thing. I'd never heard of it until my roommate from California made a reference!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post

kagicre, take a look at the Texas Travel Guide. It provides information on regions, cities and weather. You can get an idea of an area that might appeal to you, then you can ask more questions here.

You can also send off for the travel guide, more than 200 glossy pages of places and things Texas... IT"S FREE ! ! ! There's also a link to download a PDF of the travel guide so you can browse the book on your desktop. The PDF is 178 megs, so be ware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas