Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,361 times

Advertisements

i was wondering if anyone out there may have any advice on moving from Ireland to Sterling city on H87 in west Texas. Any comments appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,005,833 times
I live just down the road from there.What exactly are you wanting advice on?

Be prepared to give up greenery.The only green stuff in summer are the mesquite trees and however much grass around your house you can afford to water.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,657,937 times
I think you would be in complete culture shock if you moved out that way. I am not a west texas girl at all and there seems to be such a depression out that way everytime we have crossed west texas. Now if you love hiking ect you might like the Davis mountains or out in Big Bend. We would go out that way to camp quite a bit.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,361 times
Its my work thats bringing me out there. I was in Sterling last week and big spring also. Sterling appealed to me more due to it being small like the towns in Ireland. It seems to be a quiet spot, would this be true. What's the story with pub's, or nightlife in the area including big spring and san angelo. Pub's is one area thats very different from Ireland as we have a lot of them. Anyone any idea what sort of percentage you pay in wages tax and what monthly utility bills would be like.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I am not a west texas girl at all and there seems to be such a depression out that way everytime we have crossed west texas.
If you mean economic depression then you are way off.The whole of west Texas is booming economically.Unemployment is in reality zero.If you don't work then you don't want to and are a permanent "unemployed".Shopping centers and restaraunts are moving in to every large town like crazy.You cannot even hire the help you need to keep up.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Sterling appealed to me more due to it being small like the towns in Ireland. It seems to be a quiet spot, would this be true.
Sterling City would be a quiet town.San Angelo is a very nice town.

Quote:
What's the story with pub's, or nightlife in the area including big spring and san angelo. Pub's is one area thats very different from Ireland as we have a lot of them.
Some small towns have no pubs at all and are "dry",which means no alcohol sold within the city limits.I don't really know what towns are dry,this would be something yoy would have to ask.If you go in a convenience store and they don't sell beer,then the town is dry.Larger towns like San Angelo and Midland have a lot of bars and clubs (pubs).

Quote:
Anyone any idea what sort of percentage you pay in wages tax and what monthly utility bills would be like.
Tax is based on wages and number of dependents.,so it is going to vary according to your personal situation.Probably around 20%.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,657,937 times
Nope I didn't mean that. Economically though it must have changed since I went out that way though if you are saying that. What I meant though is we stopped in Big Springs a while back at the local Wal Mart to buy some pillows, we had forgotten our pillows for camping. A few people wanted to know who we were. This elderly couple was disappointed we were passing through and actually told us that everyone that was young was moving away and that there wasn't much to do there. I can still remember the elderly man with his redish nose and stetson hat. His eyes conveyed a sort of depression it seems, there wasn't happiness in his eyes or in his demeanor when he talked of where he was living. It was rather sad to me and it left a lasting impression on me. I am not that interesting of a person but somehow I was interesting enough to them and those 2 talked to us for a while~ though that leads to one positive, people in west texas are friendly, he was and his wife as well.

My brothers boss lives in Big Springs and loves it. He owns a movie corp and won't move to the big city. It's home.

For Sem, I don't know anything about the night life there. We have bars though and usually they are attached to grills here. That is usually the set up.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,178 times
Default Sterling City

Texas does not have a state income tax, so you're looking at federal and local taxes. Local usually runs 8-9%. Some Texas towns are very friendly, others are not. My experience has been that farm communities seem to be more clanish, whereas oil towns are friendlier. Just my opinion. Pubs? Probably should forget it. LOL I grew up in a dry west Texas county, with a high number of alcoholics. Everyone drove to the New Mexico state line to get their fix. But, you're not too far from Big Spring, Midland, etc. You may very well enjoy the solitude and peacefulness of such isolation. Texas is big and vast and beautiful, with great diversity. Too bad it became part of the United States.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:01 AM

827 posts, read 5,082,136 times
Sem850, if you like bars and clubs or as you say "pubs", over the pond, then Midland is a good city for that and it is a nice city but I would not recommend Odessa. Sterling City is a quiet small town with friendly people and that may be more of what you want. San Angelo is also a nice city too with some nightlife.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-14-2006 at 03:13 AM..

Old 03-23-2007, 08:03 PM

8 posts, read 75,953 times
Smile Sterling City

Have never lived in Sterling City, but have lived in San Angelo since 1956. I know that a lot of Sterling City does shop in San Angelo, probably because it is easier to get around in than Midland or Odessa. As for Big Spring it is not the greatest place to shop as far as I am concerned.

San Angelo has done a lot of growing in the last few years, lots of new shopping centers and strip malls. We are finally getting some of the franchise resturants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas