Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 PM

81 posts, read 356,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sem850 View Post
i was wondering if anyone out there may have any advice on moving from Ireland to Sterling city on H87 in west Texas. Any comments appreciated.
See the "cultural areas of Texas map" on p. 596 of this http://www.wadsworthmedia.com/market...80815_ch18.pdf Page 600 of the .pdf outlines West Texas. Do an exceptional amount of due diligence before relocating is my suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 10:16 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,283,627 times
Hi Sem850,

Welcome to West Texas. One thing you may be interested in even though you didn't ask about it, is the Celtic Heritage Society. Every year they have a festival or "Gathering of the Clans". Anyway I think you have already the missed the one for this year, but they do have other events during the year.

http://www.chspb.org/

Old 03-24-2007, 10:30 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,451,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Don View Post
Too bad it became part of the United States.
POTD!!!!

I'll drink to that!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 PM

23 posts, read 50,169 times
Dear Ireland,
There are no wage taxes in Texas. Only Federal wage witholding. Welcome to Texas.
Sincerely,
Native Texan, heritage: County Wicklow (sp?), Ireland

Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,420 times
Why are you moving? I would give almost anything to live in Ireland. Maybe we could switch? I live in Ohio. lol

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 15,357 times
You gotta be kidding! I love Texas but it is a big country that just happens to be a state and when you compare Ireland to West Texas you have a lot of variances.

I have a 636 acre ranch out towards Throckmorton and I love the people and the ruggedness of the land (both are real), the hunting is phenomenal and the stars are to die for but it is nothing like Ireland.

I own a house and land in East Texas near Tyler and love the trees and wildlife. If you think you might want to see a little more rain fall (not as much as Ireland) you might need to head East from Dallas instead of West.

That being said, if you can take the environmental differences you may find a real attraction to West Texas, I did.

Overall Texas is so diverse there is something for everyone and there is a real frontier spirit here. You don’t kick your neighbor and he won’t kick you and if you need help they are usually there for you. My old saying is: “you spend the night in Texas and you’re a Texan”. Shucks we even sent Santa Anta home with a full meal.

That being said, I was stationed in Boston, Mass years ago and was told that the people were terribly unfriendly. I found that not to be true. They may not start the conversation and may look at your old boots and jeans kinda sideways but when you volunteered a howdy and a smile they were friendly sure enough.

I don’t think it’s where you are, it’s who you are.

Scotty
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,391,839 times
ooooh i LOVE Throckmorton and miss it! i used to go dove hunting there..lots of good times. (i lived in Graham, Bryson, Jacksboro).....THROCKMORTON IS AWESOME!!! if i didnt have to work, i would live there happily for ever after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
You gotta be kidding! I love Texas but it is a big country that just happens to be a state and when you compare Ireland to West Texas you have a lot of variances.

I have a 636 acre ranch out towards Throckmorton and I love the people and the ruggedness of the land (both are real), the hunting is phenomenal and the stars are to die for but it is nothing like Ireland.

I own a house and land in East Texas near Tyler and love the trees and wildlife. If you think you might want to see a little more rain fall (not as much as Ireland) you might need to head East from Dallas instead of West.

That being said, if you can take the environmental differences you may find a real attraction to West Texas, I did.

Overall Texas is so diverse there is something for everyone and there is a real frontier spirit here. You don’t kick your neighbor and he won’t kick you and if you need help they are usually there for you. My old saying is: “you spend the night in Texas and you’re a Texan”. Shucks we even sent Santa Anta home with a full meal.

That being said, I was stationed in Boston, Mass years ago and was told that the people were terribly unfriendly. I found that not to be true. They may not start the conversation and may look at your old boots and jeans kinda sideways but when you volunteered a howdy and a smile they were friendly sure enough.

I don’t think it’s where you are, it’s who you are.

Scotty

Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 AM

364 posts, read 1,422,070 times
From Ireland to Sterling City???

Just one word that will probably save your life - SUNSCREEN

Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,792 posts, read 4,161,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Don View Post
. Texas is big and vast and beautiful, with great diversity. Too bad it became part of the United States.
Yeah, Texas would really be a happening place if it had stayed part of Mexico.
I guess being part of the U.S. is a bad thing, and that's why all the Mexicans and central Americans are flooding in here, right?
Good grief.. the people I have to put up with in these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas