Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Universities
UT Austin 35 28.69%
Texas A&M College Station 22 18.03%
University of Houston 14 11.48%
Texas Tech 24 19.67%
Texas State 7 5.74%
UNT 4 3.28%
SMU 7 5.74%
Rice 24 19.67%
TCU 9 7.38%
Baylor 13 10.66%
Sam Houston State 5 4.10%
Stephen F. Austin 7 5.74%
UTSA 6 4.92%
UTEP 5 4.10%
Other 11 9.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,190,704 times

Advertisements

Besides the places mentioned Forest Hills in East Dallas/Lakewood near the Arboretum (look up the meaning of that word) down to Hollywood Heights, Tenison Golf Courses and Samuell Grand Parks has gigantic trees. Any place with creeks around here has lots of trees. The Dallas Great Trinity Forest is the largest hardwood urban forest in the USA.

Just because you have seen one of our northern exurbs that used to be a cotton field and has newly planted trees doesn't mean the city of Dallas doesn't have trees. Most people I know can't even buy sun plants at the nursery, we can only grow shade-tolerant plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,062,258 times
Okay guys, I never said Dallas had no trees in this thread.

But to use trees as a selling point for Dallas is not accurate, don't you think?

Houston doesn't use the nearby beach to market itself as a San Diego, and Austin doesn't use its hills to market itself as someplace in Colorado with mountains. Get the idea?

Dallas has trees, yes, but the majority of people who live in the DFW metro are not going to be living in those specific areas. There are tons of other cities in the state I would recommend over Dallas for someone who loves trees.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:26 PM

808 posts, read 3,650,601 times
I had a long reply typed up and somehow lost it.

First, Houston does use the beach to market itself.
Houston Sports Teams | Greater Houston Partnership (http://www.houston.org/living-here/recreation-sports/index.html - broken link)

Do they market themselves as San Diego? No. But Dallas doesn't market itself as Olympia, WA.
If Houston can use the beach, something that is not even within Houston City Limits, to market itself, then it stands to reason that Dallas can use its many heavily wooded neighborhoods as a selling point.

Quote:
Okay guys, I never said Dallas had no trees in this thread.
No, what you said was this:

Quote:
you have to admit that outside of the university and city park areas, Dallas is not blessed with lots of naturally occurring large trees.
That has been proven wrong.

Quote:
Dallas has trees, yes, but the majority of people who live in the DFW metro are not going to be living in those specific areas.
We're not talking about the DFW metro, we're talking about Dallas. Ask someone from Fort Worth (which, by the way, also has a lot of trees) if they live in Dallas, and they will say "no, I live in Fort Worth."

Old 03-17-2009, 03:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,190,704 times
Also aceplace will point out Handbook of Texas Online - CROSS TIMBERS

Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,981,120 times
Hey Im one of those "kooks" who in my tens of trips through Dallas (from east to west, north to south) while looking, and observing just could not see a noteworthy amount of large canopy producing trees in the Dallas area either...Oh well, some people see it, some dont...not a big deal, I personally just didnt see it...

But I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me...I was under the impression that the Great Trinity Forest was kind of a natural occurance of abundant foliage with the expected healthy self sustaining large trees that one would find in just about any ecosystem containing a natural forest..

but Ive read conflicting information that seems to imply that the forest was preconceived and manufactured by the city. OR perhaps they meant that the city is just very instrumental in preserving the already naturally-occurring forest.

Dallas - Unfair Park - Let's Go Camping in the Great Trinity Forest! After They Plant Trees.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007...rinity-forest/

At any rate, my question is: is the forest actually a natural/nature reserve, or is/was it a city developer's ambitious vision to create a forest within the city?

Last edited by solytaire; 04-03-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM

484 posts, read 1,585,655 times
University of Texas.

GO LONGHORNS!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:52 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,150,561 times
There are some academically excellent and physically beautiful small, private colleges and universities in Texas. Southwestern University in Georgetown, Trinity in San Antonio, and Austin College in Sherman are excellent schools.

However, I believe the most beautiful campus of any sized college or university in the state is Hardin-Simmons University. The campus is architecturally cohesive, has beautiful landscaping, and is kept up beatifully.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Chapel at Hardin-Simmons at night:

Old 04-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Alumni wall at Hardin-Simmons--Looking toward administration building

By the way, I am not a graduate of Hardin-Simmons.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,055,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I'm one of those two people who voted for my alma mater, UH. No, it's not pretty, and as a commuter school, it's not the type of place where most of its students are going to create lifelong memories of frat parties, keggers, and such. I did that at UT, which is why I had to pretty much start over at UH. But I got good educations there, both undergrad and law, and was surrounded by students like myself, extremely motivated because we were going to college on our own dime (or at best, Uncle Sam's GI nickel, and we paid the rest) and going to class at night after putting in a day's work at our jobs.

It's nice to have a pretty campus (and pretty coeds-- I see that someone mentioned Texas State, which may be the world champion for attractive women), lovely to have the wonderful college experience and all, but I'm actually proud to be a UH alum. My law school classmates have achieved much in their careers, and who knows? maybe I will too one day, when I grow up.

I am right there with you. Class of 85 and loved every minute of it. I agree with everything you say about it but I still have to give it my vote. Rice does have a outstanding campus I might add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas