Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Texas: real estate, great school, music schools, job market, traffic.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,286 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a good place to move to in Texas. I have been doing some research on real estate and schools. I have a 13 year old son and an 11 year old daughter. My son is really into music and I would like to be able to have a program in the school. I do not care about the redneck status so no need to mention it. I am concerned with the job market and how people drive. We currently live in New Mexico, yes the United States, and people here would run you off the road if they could get away with it. I am also concerned with the school and the acedmics not much else. I would like some points of view on job markets around the Tyler and Longview areas and any where close to those places. I am not interested in living in the Houston, Dallas, or any other big city areas. Please let me know what is out there so I can make an informed decision. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:56 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
whats wrong with rednecks?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
What's redneck status? People drive differently depending on where you're at. Tyler, I guess they drive alright. It's growing, so there's more traffic, but not horrible. I think greatschools.net has school ratings that are updated. I don't really know what ALL the jobs are in that area but I know there are lots of blue collar jobs....Freight, electrician, mechanical...There is a Jr. College there and a good medical center, so jobs related to that. It being small town and all, there are also lots of farms and ranches and related work. As for music programs in schools, as far as I know, most all Texas schools have music programs.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:11 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
Default Look into the smaller cities around Tyler for School System

Lindale, Whitehouse, Bullard all next to Tyler have very good school sytems. Tyler has at least 4 private schools thru 12th grade. Tyler really isn't very blue collar as my Hutto friend said. Not many job openings unless the medical field is your expertise. Again, it is growing, mostly retirees because the the excellent medical facilities and all the shopping most people want. Oh, we now have The University of Texas at Tyler with over 7,000 students it's been a four year university for about 4 - 6 years - it turned down over 5,000 students last fall, now room. One of the best Junior Colleges in the country with over 10,000 students. They don't need the "prestige" of calling themselves a "College" when they are a two-year school as most junior/community colleges have felt the need to do - I thought you meant "redneck," DIDN'T bother you - Longview is more of an industrial/manufacturing city than Tyler, a nice place. Tyler is business/professional with some industry. City is debt free as of March has the lowest city property tax rate of any city in Texas over 30,000 and mostly clean place with hills, trees, flowers etc. But the job market is tight like I said - city does not use any of it's sales taxes for economic developlment much rather pay off debt, pay cash for needs much rather have retiree money, I guess. This is very slowly changing with a new mayor being pro-growth but that won't help you now. Check out the city then really check the job situation next. Anything, else I just ask.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Tyler really isn't very blue collar as my Hutto friend said.

I guess I just assumed that, since most of the people I know around there work the land or do some other sort of physical labor. I know a few who hold desk jobs or work in the medical field. I'm also thinking historically as well. But Tyler has grown so huge from the time I started going there when I was about 6-7 yrs. old, it's almost unrecognizable to me anymore

Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
[quote=Mark-Tyler is Special;4989593]Lindale, Whitehouse, Bullard all next to Tyler have very good school sytems. Tyler has at least 4 private schools thru 12th grade. Tyler really isn't very blue collar as my Hutto friend said. Not many job openings unless the medical field is your expertise. Again, it is growing, mostly retirees because the the excellent medical facilities and all the shopping most people want. Oh, we now have The University of Texas at Tyler with over 7,000 students it's been a four year university for about 4 - 6 years - it turned down over 5,000 students last fall, no room. One of the best Junior Colleges in the country with over 10,000 students. They don't need the "prestige" of calling themselves a "College" when they are a two-year school as most junior/community colleges have felt the need to do - I thought you meant "redneck," DIDN'T bother you - Longview is more of an industrial/manufacturing city than Tyler, a nice place. Tyler is business/professional with some industry. City is debt free as of March has the lowest city property tax rate of any city in Texas over 30,000 and mostly clean place with hills, trees, flowers etc. But the job market is tight like I said - city does not use any of it's sales taxes for economic developlment much rather pay off debt, pay cash for needs much rather have retiree money, I guess. This is very slowly changing with a new mayor being pro-growth but that won't help you now. Check out the city then really check the job situation next. Anything, else I just ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas