Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:49 PM

15 posts, read 145,561 times

Advertisements

~
Welp, we're tired of Colorado- I miss Texas. "There's no place like home!"
People here are not as friendly, and, IMHO, bass ackwards. (Just my experience- if you're from CO and do not match those descriptions, TAKE NO OFFENSE!)

-So my hubby was offered several positions, and we're considering one for this area. I know the 2 towns are only like 30 minutes apart, but that can make a big difference. I've lived all over Texas- Houston (and almost all of its surrounding cities), Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Longview/ East Texas. However, never quite found my way too far West...

So....

Midland or Odessa??

What are the main differences?

Things to do? (We like to eat out, watch movies, outdoor concerts, museums, art, shopping (for me of course!) and all that stuff. We're in our mid-late 20's)
Who has a better downtown- shopping/ walking around?
We will rent, as are young enough and at a time in our lives where we could be transfered per request. Don't want to move to a new place and buy without experiencing the area.
So, where is there better renting?
I'm a teacher- which has better school districts? (Oh yes, very excited about football, esp HS- not as big here)
Churches?- we're non-denom and before moving here went to Fellowship of the Woodlands

Any and ALL info and POV will help, even if it's not in the aforementioned categories!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:07 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,122 times
There is not too much difference but I am guessing that you will like Midland more. But housing is really tight now so you may have to just take what is available at first then look for another place. The good news is that the main retail and entertainment areas of Midland and Odessa are not that far apart and traffic is never an issue.

Neither downtown is really a place to walk around and shop, but downtown Odessa does have a couple of little stores.

I think the school districts are similar as well academically and for football you have your choice. Legendary Permian H.S. of Friday Night Lights fame or Midland Lee. Football is the official religion in both cities but Midland's temple (stadium) is newer, but then again Odessa's is currently being renovated.

Both cities also have a large Christian community with some pretty nice new churches being built.

The main difference I guess is that Midland is a little more spendy than Odessa if that makes a difference to you. The northeast side of Odessa and the northwest side of Midland are both pretty nice.

Good luck and welcome to Midland-Odessa.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,357 times
Question Odessa or Midland, or Midland or Odessa

I was raised in Odessa, and lived in Midland for 9 years. They are pretty much sister city only 20 miles separate their down towns. The main difference is more blue collar worker atmosphere in Odessa, Where as Midland has more white collar atmosphere. Don't get me wrong though there are plenty of white and blue collar workers in each. They used to say when I was growing up 'That Odessa is for raising He**, and Midland is for raising kids. LOL

Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times
I went to public schools in Abilene, a hundred miles east of Midland/Odessa. Back when 'Friday Nite Lights' was a lifestyle, not a movie. Abilene, Midland, Odessa were in the same district, along with Big Spring and San Angelo. Alas, that club has been broken up.

Our take on Midland/Odessa was much as that described by Pipeweld.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
I was raised in Odessa, and lived in Midland for 9 years. They are pretty much sister city only 20 miles separate their down towns. The main difference is more blue collar worker atmosphere in Odessa, Where as Midland has more white collar atmosphere. Don't get me wrong though there are plenty of white and blue collar workers in each. They used to say when I was growing up 'That Odessa is for raising He**, and Midland is for raising kids. LOL
I remember that saying too. It does bring up one possibly important distinction between the two cities. Generally Odessa is more lax towards adult businesses. Everything like Hooters, gentleman's clubs, adult bookstores, gay bars, and "massage parlors" will be found in Odessa but not in Midland. So ks456, if you choose to avoid those places or frequent them (to each their own) that is something you might keep in mind when deciding where to live.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM

15 posts, read 145,561 times
Well thanks ya'll

I figured as much between the 2 as "one would be for raising kids and the other for raising lleh"!!

It's always good to get an insider's perspective!

As far as adult business- hey, give my hubby something to do weekends when I'm gone!

Thanks again! If anyone else has anything they'd like to add, I'd love to hear it!!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 PM

146 posts, read 520,568 times
Default Odessa

odessa i used to live in odessa and it was always a good place to live :d

Old 10-20-2009, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 23,066 times
Question Daughter might be moving to Midland-Odessa area

I would appreciate any info. about the area. I have always heard good things about the people and the area from people who had to move to Houston. They really missed you guys. My daughter (she's 27) might be taking a job in the area. Where should she look at renting an apartment? Of course being her mom, I want her to be safe. What are some good restaurants she and my husband can try when he's helping her move? She has a dog, so she needs to find a pet friendly place. I visited a long time ago, and I know you have nice malls. My daughter and I love bookstores, movies, and theater. But if you have a good bookstore -new or used- she will definitely be happy.
Thanks for any tips you can share with us.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:55 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,034,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcathey View Post
I would appreciate any info. about the area. I have always heard good things about the people and the area from people who had to move to Houston. They really missed you guys. My daughter (she's 27) might be taking a job in the area. Where should she look at renting an apartment? Of course being her mom, I want her to be safe. What are some good restaurants she and my husband can try when he's helping her move? She has a dog, so she needs to find a pet friendly place. I visited a long time ago, and I know you have nice malls. My daughter and I love bookstores, movies, and theater. But if you have a good bookstore -new or used- she will definitely be happy.
Thanks for any tips you can share with us.
I lived in Midland for a little while back in the 90's. If your daughter is going to rent an apartment she would be better off renting one over in the north and northwest part of Midland. When I lived there I rented an apartment in northwest Midland near the Midland Park Mall and it was a very nice, clean, safe area. There's also plenty of shopping and places to eat out over in that part of the city (most of the newer development is in those areas). As a far as Odessa goes, like someone said above, the east side of town is where the newer/nicer development seems to be, but I'll let someone else that has lived over there give you more specific feedback on that.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
Man, I would never get tired of Colorado. Great outdoor activities, great weather, great air, low humidity and truly beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas