Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,570,676 times

Advertisements

What don't yall understand..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
As far as its similarity to Los Angeles, I've heard people compare them and say the layouts are alike. This is evidenced by the sheer freeway coverage. Sure Houston may not have mountains like L.A. but the spread out buildings and downtown skylines do share similarities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
There are actually a few posters on SSP from Los Angeles who comment on how Houston reminds them of LA in the photo threads. So it's not just a comparison made by Houstonians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It's not City Data Houstonians that are making the LA-Houston comparisons in photo threads at another forum. It's LOS ANGELES residents doing that. I had a friend freshman year from South LA who said (when driving down Westheimer) that it looked like the area of LA where he lived.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 AM

2,931 posts, read 5,277,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
LOL, wait a minute...didn't you JUST quote from the opinion of what one of those very same "over opinionated Californians from LA thinks" when you thought it corroborated your opinion?

No offense, but you and a few other Houston posters make it seem like you have to try so hard to make Houston look valid and more appealing (to yourself and others) that you are willing to go so far as to try to compare it to a city where by and large, the vast majority of people there don't agree with the comparison and most other people around the country don't either. And that's pretty lame.

I guess if I ever feel the need to try to make Dallas seem cooler and more appealing, I should just start claiming it's similar to NYC, and then maybe---just maybe---enough people will actually start believing it, if I keep on telling everybody on the internet it is...?

I'm done with it. But I'm sure you're not, though...
And it's not just Houston posters that do this. There are several Dallas posters who shall remain nameless who believe in posting articles and things about Dallas being #1 at everyday. Could be taken as bragging but that's cool, this is the appropriate thread for it. So both sides are guilty, they each just do it in a different way.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:37 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,970,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrankly View Post
Another notable difference between Los Angeles and Houston is that Los Angeles was one of the first cities to have zoning laws back in the 1920's. As we know, Houston is the largest city in the country that has no zoning laws at all. Most of the similarities between Houston and LA are largely superficial ones that could be found in other sunbelt and some Midwestern metros - wide boulevards over flat expanses of land, auto oriented, lots of freeways. Parts of the newer Detroit suburbs and Chicagoland burbs have similar layouts to LA and Houston. It's just that Houston is on a larger scale than other metros that emulate that model. Of course LA has the hills, mountains, and other natural features that Houston doesn't have. Due to land constraints, it's a lot more denser now. Phoenix and Las Vegas are the most similar cities to Los Angeles. Houston reminds me more of Tampa or Orlando in terms of look and feel, culture and some vegetation. While an LA native says parts of Westheimer remind them of LA, there are parts of Westheimer that remind me more of Kennedy Blvd or Dale Mabry Hwy in Tampa or the nicer parts of Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando.

Dallas is definitely more Midwestern/Great Plains than Houston. More like Kansas City or St Louis or even Omaha than Los Angeles. Though some of the inner ring Northern burbs like Carrollton and Addison remind me of the nicer burbs in the LA basin South Bay/Gateway Cities areas like Torrance, Cerritos, and Lakewood in SoCal.

Honestly, I don't know why some Houstonians are so desperate to be compared to Los Angeles. While the weather and natural beauty there are nice, much of the city is rundown and has a worn 1960's feel to it and seems desperate to cling to its mid-20th century boomtown days while the rest of the world (including Houston) has moved on. Yeah, it's a world class city in its own right, but Houston has a lot to be proud of. On the other hand, people speak from their personal experiences, so I can understand the comparisons
I'm done with the Houston LA comparisons because there have been enough people from both cities to say it, but btw, Los Angeles actually does resemble many rust belt cities. And Dallas is nothing like St. Louis. Maybe the Illinois suburbs.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,464,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
And it's not just Houston posters that do this. There are several Dallas posters who shall remain nameless who believe in posting articles and things about Dallas being #1 at everyday. Could be taken as bragging but that's cool, this is the appropriate thread for it. So both sides are guilty, they each just do it in a different way.
C'mon stoneclaw...You know that only houstonians are the ones who post #1 lists all day....they do it to prove to themselves and the world that Houston is Better than every city on earth....and you know this

Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 PM

State Farm starts move to Richardson campus this week | Dallas Morning News

Old 01-23-2015, 03:57 PM

Study puts Dallas in top tier of world's fastest-growing economies | Dallas Morning News
Quote:
Austin ranked No. 38 based on its 1.9 percent growth in economic output and its 3.6 percent job growth in 2014.

Houston was No. 39 for its 1.6 percent annual economic growth and 3.7 percent annual job growth.

Dallas ranked No. 63, with 0.8 percent annual economic growth and 3.4 percent annual job growth.

Quote:
San Antonio ranked No. 131 and El Paso was No. 175.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiMrS14Ugk

Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnTwYbUc4FY

COMMENTS:
Quote:
I moved here from Seattle and Dallas easily surpasses the emerald city except in wilderness beauty. The urban scene in Dallas is very much alive, downtown is huge and even better in person. I liked the oasis plaza at the end of the video behind the Magnolia hotel. Downtown is much like Manhattan as it is divided into territories of their own though on a smaller scale (though DFW is larger than NYC as a whole). Deep Ellum, Uptown, Oak Lawn, West End, this downtown is a lot bigger than she let's on. The planned park project is going well and said to resemble central park but much bigger. Just shows that downtown is always going to get bigger and better. Don't forget how downtown looks at night...Wow!!! I will live and die here.
Show less
Quote:
You've captured Dallas beautifully, as it is one of the most beautiful cities in the USA. I'm from Manhattan as well and I've grown to love this magnificent city. Dallas definitely rivals any city in this country including New York as well as Chicago. I've lived in both, and I prefer Dallas to both of them. I wish you would have included that beautiful Old Red Museum Court located downtown on Houston Street @ Commerce. I noticed you driving pass it as you made a left from Houston onto Commerce. It's the area where President Kennedy was assassinated in which I'm sure you already know that. I go there on occassions to view it's architecture as well as it's beauty as a whole. This is a wonderful video showing the beauty of Dallas.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwn00JjhLm8

Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,277,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
C'mon stoneclaw...You know that only houstonians are the ones who post #1 lists all day....they do it to prove to themselves and the world that Houston is Better than every city on earth....and you know this
Dallasboi. Please do NOT go there. I was trying my best not to call you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Oh my gawd! This has seriously got to be the joke of the year already!!!

Did the lady in this video seriously have the balls to say Dallas is like Manhattan not once, twice, three, but four times throughout the course of this video? I don't care if she was talking skyscrapers, Dallas is nowhere near Manhattan in any way shape or form.

But thanks for the good laugh. lol

Last edited by stoneclaw; 01-23-2015 at 04:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas