Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
why? did you miss the part about Houston having more Pritzker prize winner designed buildings? most people dont consider a strip of LEDs slapped on the side of a building to be good architecture.
You just wish Houston would light up with LEDs...and since it hasn't......you feel you have to talk down on Dallas' niche.

Houston's niche is tall buildings
Dallas' is flashy interesting eye catching buildings

Simple as that

Old 11-25-2014, 09:55 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You just wish Houston would light up with LEDs...and since it hasn't......you feel you have to talk down on Dallas' niche.

Houston's niche is tall buildings
Dallas' is flashy interesting eye catching buildings

Simple as that
Lmao. No. I definitely don't wish Houstons skyline was tacky and ostentatious like Dallas'. You must be out of your mind if you think I'm envious. "Flashy" is not my style..

Simple as that

Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lmao. No. I definitely don't wish Houstons skyline was tacky and ostentatious like Dallas'. You must be out of your mind if you think I'm envious. "Flashy" is not my style..

Simple as that
Tacky is not the right word.......BOLD,EDGY,INTERESTING, is more like it

Old 11-25-2014, 12:17 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Tacky is not the right word.......BOLD,EDGY,INTERESTING, is more like it
We are all entitled to our own opinions, but I would say Houstons skylines are bolder and more interesting than Dallas'. Neither are very edgy, aside from a few exceptions..

Old 11-27-2014, 09:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Having only been to Houston for 4 days back in 2005, I wasn't in love with Houston but after all the research I have done between to two I choose Houston!

Reasons:

Location, close to NO and the Ocean

City Feel

National League Baseball

Warmer than Dallas

I hate the Cowboys

Old 11-28-2014, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 7,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Having only been to Houston for 4 days back in 2005, I wasn't in love with Houston but after all the research I have done between to two I choose Houston!

Reasons:

City Feel

National League Baseball

Warmer than Dallas

I hate the Cowboys
The Astros are in the AL now (unfortunately).

Doggone Bud Selig.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:16 AM

13 posts, read 19,514 times
Quote:

Reasons:

City Feel

National League Baseball

Warmer than Dallas

I hate the Cowboys
I live in Dallas and I hate the Cowboys too, but love the stadium.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Texans, let's admit it, no matter where we live, there are only 2 REAL cities in this state, DFW and H-town. Yeah, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso are cities but they're not CITIES, am I right?

So, here's the question, and I mean this in all good sport, no personal insults allowed:

Which city is the BEST and WHY, between Dallas and Houston?

I'll offer the opening volley in what I hope will be a lively Texas-friendly smack-down.

Houston might have heinous humidity, traffic, smog and floods, but I think it beats Dallas hands-down for culture. Seems like far more musicians, artists, and other interesting cultural types come from H-town. Dallas is good for... ummm..... shopping? And, uh... Malls?

Houston has a more cosmopolitan, multicultural vibe to me. OK, so one of the cultures happens to consist of cockroaches the size of economy cars, but heck, if we can train them then maybe we can use them to get around town and save on our energy bills, right?

Houston is a port city, it's near the ocean and it's very GREEN with beautiful big trees. Dallas is landlocked and doesn't even have an attractive waterway like San Antonio and Austin.

Anybody wanna take a shot at this? Which city represents Texas best? ALL IN GOOD FUN! Cuz I don't want this thread deleted or locked....

Houston:

-Rich conservatives that anywhere else in Texas would pass as flagrant liberals but don't let that fool you, these are extremely conservative people

-Humidity unlike anything in Texas. This alone disqualifies it for "The Texan" city. Houston is the second most humid place in the US next to Miami Florida.

-Houston is a big rich conservative city. I would argue Houston would hands down win the award of "Most Conservative Big City in America". It's an upper class conservatism but it's definitely ultra conservative.

-As someone who was born in Houston Texas I can safely say Houston is not livable if you even remotely dislike humidity. You must love the big money conservative vibe of Houston because if you don't the humidity will get you out of there fast.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
There is a political constituency here for everybody, and its not, for the most part, the social conservative hub that North Texas tends to be......

It's funny that these people keep creating these bogus I.D's specifically to complain about Houston's humidity. Let me say this, it is a beautiful day today in Houston even though there is a ting of humidity in the air, and it is very, very comfortable. Come on down......

Old 11-29-2014, 12:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:

Reasons:

City Feel

National League Baseball

Warmer than Dallas

I hate the Cowboys
I also prefer Houston to Dallas, but disagree with a few of your points.

Houston is over five hours from New Orleans by car. That is not close. And the "ocean" it is near is a brown, polluted, murky mess. It's fine for boating, but as a beach it's terrible.

City feel is subjective and if Houston does it for you, then so be it. I will say that, to me, Dallas has a few more dense, walkable districts that make it feel more like a city to me. In truth, both "cities" seem like big suburban areas.

Astros are an AL team now and have obliterated any heritage or history they had. Now, they are among the worst in the Junior Circuit. Shameful.

Houston is more humid than Dallas and it affects the "feels like" temperature. I find Houston's inability to cool down at night in the summertime, in thick, soupy, humid air to be one of its biggest drawbacks. Dallas often has more pleasant evenings, but is stormier, has wider seasonal swings of temperature, and is often hotter than Houston. Again, neither city has very good weather. Preferring one to the other is choosing the best of the worst. However, coming from Midwestern winters, I can understand a preference for Texas.

I also share your hatred for the Cowboys--reason enough to pick Houston over Dallas. When I briefly lived in Dallas, and was asked what my favorite football team was, I always replied, "Visitor".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas