Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 05:31 PM

6,692 posts, read 9,937,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So just got back from spending 4 days in Dallas. And this was probably the first time where I spent time in Dallas with the idea of comparing Houston and Dallas. Funny as many times as I've been going to Dallas and then living in Houston I never really compared the 2 this in depth but fresh from having this convo I had no choice but to compare the 2. So this is my recent observation of both based off my rent trip.

So I stayed in the Hilton Anatole which I haven't actually stayed in the heart of Dallas that long since my last college years back in 2009. Every other stay has been somewhat in the outskirts with visits in the city, not extended stays.

-So staying in the city, I know statically Houston crime is worse but Dallas didn't seem any less sketch than Houston. Which makes me think some Dallasites overexaggerate how dangerous Houston is. I mean anytime I see homeless people violently talking to themselves and loud trunk rattling music with people just hanging out at the gas station than yeah it feels no different than what I experience in Houston.

- Houston really needs a build out like Deep Ellum and Bishop Arts District. The amount of foot traffic in these 2 particular neighborhoods is quite impressive. Seems like both neighborhoods continue to grow each time I visit. Houstonians can't use the excuse of being too hot to walk when there were people out and about in 100 degree Dallas weather. Honestly EADO feels like it could be the closest thing to Deep Ellum but Houston needs to really commit to the idea of building a district catered specifically to pedestrians. Heights feels like it could be the Bishop Arts District but again needs to commit to building specifically for pedestrians.

- I'm still convinced the 610 loop is the most interesting region of Texas. Even though Dallas neighborhoods like Uptown/ Deep Ellum/ Bishop Arts district/ Oaklawn/ Knox-Henderson pack a nice punch in terms of walkability and some vibrancy, the neighborhoods and the type of people that socialize in those spaces within the loop fit more of my vibe. I'm not just speaking from a ethnically perspective but Dallas still feels a little more segregated. Not just ethnically but economically too. Trust me, it's better than back in the day when I use to venture to Dallas every other weekend back in my college years and it's GOOD ENOUGH but when compared to Houston it just feels different.

-Dallas food scene is underrated

-Dallas freeways seem to be in worst condition than Houston BUT Houston traffic and drivers are generally worse. Immediately when we got back into Houston, we were almost hit twice by 2 aggressive drivers on 99.

With all that said, even though I enjoyed my time in Dallas I don't see any reason other than an upgrade in employment to move to Dallas from Houston and that's vice versa. They're not completely alike but similar enough. You're lifestyle won't change moving to either one. This is not like moving from Miami to Orlando or San Francisco to LA. You can easily adjust to either or without missing a beat. Anybody say's different is lying to themselves and too stuck on the rivalry to admit anything different.
This is very fair IMO. I’ve always felt that they’re more alike than different. Anyone would have a great life in Houston or Dallas. I’ve also said that Houston is more mixed or integrated than Dallas. The cohesive walkable areas in Dallas is what I was trying to explain earlier in the thread. Those small differences is what people are gonna like more or less depending on the city.

I think street trees help a lot with shielding the sidewalk from the intense sun. It’s a lot more tolerable to walk because of it. I was just in Bishop Arts passing through on a weekday afternoon and it was pretty busy with 100+ heat. I’m assuming a lot of people in the area patronize those businesses as well, which adds to the vibrancy.

I also say that because I’ve literally seen these two when I was driving down Bishop. The same outfit and everything, just on the opposite side of the street. (Screenshot from the video of Oak Cliff I posted earlier)

———————————————

This was taken in March. Just for those that haven’t been in a while.

Uptown Dallas - 34:30-51:30
West Village - 45:00-47:00
Deep Ellum - 57:00-1:07:36

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zNhJT2...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 07:37 PM

679 posts, read 273,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Negative on just about all counts.

ETA and for about the fifth time from various sources.......

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/heat-...ew-point-18825
Maybe some day you’ll get an opportunity to spin your tale to the folks at Accuweather, the Weather Channnel and virtually every television meteorologist and explain to them that they are wasting our time giving us temperature readings in the summer and heat indexes, Feels Like, and Real Feel, when all we need to know is the Dew Point.

Old 07-26-2023, 08:13 PM

272 posts, read 118,587 times
Default Dallas Morning News

I'm referring to the local media and local sentiment. Texas is vigorous about convincing businesses ro relocate to Texas. They mostly lure the businesses with Tax incentives. I believe the battle being fought here is a battle for business investment and human capital. So a lot is at stake. In other words the local
Economic Interests are fighting to steal businesses and highly productive residents from other Metro areas. Texas is very good at this. DFW lives by this principle.
Remember that "DFW is a flat featureless grassland with a railroad, cotton and cattle economic history. It has bad weather and has always struggled to stay relevant. It has to fight to avoid devolving into a stagnant Midwest city like Kansas City, Tulsa, OKC, WICHITA, MAYBE EVEN a little Rock, Memphis or Saint Louis. The population has already begun to shrink. Dallas is an inland Midwestish city out on a Prarie grassland. It's a great place for grazing. So yes it has taken a lot of effort to make it into what it is today."
Now please someone give me a laundry list of all the great world cities that have absolutely no navigable access to any waterborne trade route?????? I'll be waiting but I'm not holding my breath.
This description should appear in all internet search results about Dallas, it should be the Wiki on Dallas, it should be added to and tags should be placed on IT so that it shows up on all AI and search results. Basically this should define what Dallas really is. "A great place for GRAZING!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I don’t really see most Dallas posters/people portray Chicago or Houston like that. There are a few (like every city has) but they represent a small minority. And honestly if someone thinks that then so what. Chicago, Houston, and Dallas are all good places to live with many pros and just because a few people open their mouths doesn’t mean you gotta take it to heart. I don’t see this in real life but I could say that “Houston is hot” and would have some posters attacking me for making that statement.

Last edited by Texas100; 07-26-2023 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-27-2023, 02:57 AM

272 posts, read 118,587 times
[quote=Texas100;65605475]I'm referring to the local media and local sentiment. Texas is vigorous about convincing businesses ro relocate to Texas. They mostly lure the businesses with Tax incentives. I believe the battle being fought here is a battle for business investment and human capital. So a lot is at stake. In other words the local
Economic Interests are fighting to steal businesses and highly productive residents from other Metro areas. Texas is very good at this. DFW lives by this principle.
Remember that "DFW is a flat featureless grassland with a railroad, cotton and cattle economic history. It has bad weather and has always struggled to stay relevant. It has to fight to avoid devolving into a stagnant Midwest city like Kansas City, Tulsa, OKC, WICHITA, MAYBE EVEN a little Rock, Memphis or Saint Louis. The population has already begun to shrink. Dallas is an inland Midwestish city out on a Prarie grassland. It's a great place for grazing. So yes it has taken a lot of effort to make it into what it is today."
Now please someone give me a laundry list of all the great world cities that have absolutely no navigable access to any waterborne trade route?????? I'll be waiting but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
So, all this bickering and to an outsider looking in, it looks like Houston and Dallas are both hotter than Hades.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:25 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So, all this bickering and to an outsider looking in, it looks like Houston and Dallas are both hotter than Hades.
And the funny thing is neither are the hottest parts of the state.

Looking at weather this summer it seems like that corridor from Del Rio to Corpus is by far the hottest,
Followed by south Texas, followed by central Texas into the Panhandle, followed by the Houston to Dallas/ I 45 corridor, followed by the rest of SE Texas, followed by East Texas.

I still believe it is mentally ingrained in us to believe that the Phoenix 118 degrees feels better than the Houston 98 degrees and the mind over matter actually creates a physiological response to us.
We will our body into believing the dry heat feels better and our body listens.

I am not denying that the dew point has an effect, it does. What I am saying is that we take the information to the extreme and believe and will our bodies to adapt to 120 degree temps if it is dry but over exaggerate the feeling of a moist 90 degrees

Old 07-27-2023, 01:17 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Maybe some day you’ll get an opportunity to spin your tale to the folks at Accuweather, the Weather Channnel and virtually every television meteorologist and explain to them that they are wasting our time giving us temperature readings in the summer and heat indexes, Feels Like, and Real Feel, when all we need to know is the Dew Point.

The guy who wrote this is a meteorologist.....

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/ne...9-30194231acc1

________

The weather drones up here in DFW have been hammering dew point temps since mid June to help explain why sometimes when the temp is lower the air feels so much worse.

_______

I think weather types avoid dew point out of inertia and the fact that most TV forecasts would take about 10 seconds.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:48 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times
The dew point is more valuable than the relative humidity value IMO because relative humidity 'relative' to the temperature, and swings pretty dramatically, for Dallas 30% worth over the next few days and for Houston 40% worth, with no rainfall in the forecast.

Whereas the dew point in Dallas swings by about 6F degrees and in Houston about 5F degrees over the same period.

Dallas and Houston are both pretty humid, at least in the summer, so the difference is not that much.

In the winter though, and in the fall, Dallas' humidity falls off pretty dramatically, so there are some differences then.

Quote:
I still believe it is mentally ingrained in us to believe that the Phoenix 118 degrees feels better than the Houston 98 degrees and the mind over matter actually creates a physiological response to us.
We will our body into believing the dry heat feels better and our body listens.
No, Phoenix is horrific. At some temperature (dependent on the person) humidity stops mattering and everything smells like it is vaguely on fire.

But Denver or parts of New Mexico, with similar high temperatures and far lower humidity than Houston, can be cold in the shade at 90F degrees. So can Amarillo. But Amarillo gets blizzards. If you want a place like Dallas or Houston but with lower humidity, it's Riverside CA, which I believe is more expensive with lower median income, lower educational attainment, and less local amenities.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:06 PM

6,785 posts, read 4,227,308 times
My main issue with Houston is that it's a coastal city but doesn't seem to have any of the charms of a coastal city. I mean technically it's a river city in relatively close proximity to the sea (so more London than Barcelona), but it doesn't make much of the river either. London is built around the Thames, Houston is pretty much built facing away from Buffalo Bayou. And there's some valid reasons for that, but it means it's really not giving you any plus marks over DFW in terms of attractiveness, which is highly unusual for cities built around water.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:07 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The dew point is more valuable than the relative humidity value IMO because relative humidity 'relative' to the temperature, and swings pretty dramatically, for Dallas 30% worth over the next few days and for Houston 40% worth, with no rainfall in the forecast.

Whereas the dew point in Dallas swings by about 6F degrees and in Houston about 5F degrees over the same period.

Dallas and Houston are both pretty humid, at least in the summer, so the difference is not that much.

In the winter though, and in the fall, Dallas' humidity falls off pretty dramatically, so there are some differences then.

No, Phoenix is horrific. At some temperature (dependent on the person) humidity stops mattering and everything smells like it is vaguely on fire.

But Denver or parts of New Mexico, with similar high temperatures and far lower humidity than Houston, can be cold in the shade at 90F degrees. So can Amarillo. But Amarillo gets blizzards. If you want a place like Dallas or Houston but with lower humidity, it's Riverside CA, which I believe is more expensive with lower median income, lower educational attainment, and less local amenities.

Another factor per high heat and low humidity..............that combination is just more dangerous as the air feels cooler than it is. HI's lower than shade temperature and all that stuff. I just looked right now in Las Vegas the temp is 110F, the HI is 104F, Phoenix 113F with an HI of 113.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas