Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:19 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,004,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framos View Post
Run away from the valley as quick as you can, and don't look back!
Why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 05:45 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,435,418 times
I loved my 9 months living in the RGV. Granted I lived in a new subdivision in Primera (Harlingen), was relocated for work (and still making wages from my previous city which were WELL above the norm for the RGV), and made fast friends with several people who made me feel welcome. I don't speak Spanish and I did have a few encounters where I felt very out of place, but never unsafe or threatened.

SPI was amazing. I miss it the most.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,428,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I loved my 9 months living in the RGV. Granted I lived in a new subdivision in Primera (Harlingen), was relocated for work (and still making wages from my previous city which were WELL above the norm for the RGV), and made fast friends with several people who made me feel welcome. I don't speak Spanish and I did have a few encounters where I felt very out of place, but never unsafe or threatened.

SPI was amazing. I miss it the most.
I agree with you that South Padre Island is a good place.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:06 PM

18 posts, read 15,525 times
Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Well.. Life expectancy rate is the highest in the rio grande valley and higher than most other states from what studies have shown. Im sure the low paced lifestyle and warm climate has positive effects on a person's health
I live here; this is one of the unhealthiest places in the state (and considering it's size and population, that isn't something to be proud of).

The RGV has some of the highest rates of childhood obesity, diabetes, heart disease and obesity in adults not only in the state, but nation. Considering the lack of GOOD water (all our water comes directly from the Rio Grande River, which we share with Mexico, and since this is an economically depressed area, the EPA has special exemptions in place to allow for extra 'stuff' to get past the water treatment plants.), you cannot safely eat fish from the waters. I dare you to drink it straight from the tap.

Don't get me wrong; I live here and I really like the people, but they don't have high life expectancies (not picking a fight, but where did you get that quote from?). While this is an area where the high schools have great track teams and other sports, children and adults are often not active.

Just because this area is awash in medical buildings doesn't mean it's healthy (just that there's a large population of chronically ill people).

Old 04-06-2017, 07:32 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,274,562 times
This thread is 11 years old. It starts middle school in the fall.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:45 AM

511 posts, read 403,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtopets View Post
I live here; this is one of the unhealthiest places in the state (and considering it's size and population, that isn't something to be proud of).

The RGV has some of the highest rates of childhood obesity, diabetes, heart disease and obesity in adults not only in the state, but nation. Considering the lack of GOOD water (all our water comes directly from the Rio Grande River, which we share with Mexico, and since this is an economically depressed area, the EPA has special exemptions in place to allow for extra 'stuff' to get past the water treatment plants.), you cannot safely eat fish from the waters. I dare you to drink it straight from the tap.

Don't get me wrong; I live here and I really like the people, but they don't have high life expectancies (not picking a fight, but where did you get that quote from?). While this is an area where the high schools have great track teams and other sports, children and adults are often not active.

Just because this area is awash in medical buildings doesn't mean it's healthy (just that there's a large population of chronically ill people).
The obesity in RGV (or every border town in Texas for that matter) seemed pretty bad when I first visited the area from Mexico. I lived in Mexico for almost a decade and it's not something you would see very often there. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a single person who wasn't obese from what I can remember... Maybe it has a lot to do with the oppressive hot weather and the lack of outdoor activity options (no mountains nearby whatsoever). The other places you'll see that many obese people other than the valley might be LA, MS or AL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas