Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 05:46 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,015,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieSam28 View Post
I'm looking to move out of South Carolina because I am getting tired of the humidity and the abundance of bugs. I asked my friend where I should consider moving and he asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted to be in a city that is not too small nor too big, has little humidity, is near a nice lake, has a mild-ish climate, and votes conservative. He then told me to check out Amarillo and it looks like a neat city. Should I consider moving to Amarillo or should I move elsewhere?
Maybe somewhere within an hour or two of Fort Worth if you are ok with a smaller town? Otherwise I would agree with New Mexico or maybe even somewhere in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 07:18 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,609,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Perhaps you are more used to the smell than others? I definitely have smelled it every time I've gone to Amarillo, which I will admit is only a few times.
Is the Panhandle like that in general? Someone told me Lubbock reeks of cow manure.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:36 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,363 posts, read 5,529,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Is the Panhandle like that in general? Someone told me Lubbock reeks of cow manure.
Ive never really smelled it in Lubbock, I have in Amarillo.

That said, Lubbock is DUSTY! I cant handle that aspect of it. Most open fields in Lubbock are just dirt because they mainly grow cotton out there. Amarillo does occasionally get the manure smell, but at least most of the vacant fields are full of grass. The area around Lubbock is also quite a bit flatter than Amarillo. I find Amarillo a bit more diverse as well since they have such a large refugee population.

Id definitely choose Amarillo if I had to pick one, though Id take Lubbock over Midland.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:37 PM

8,607 posts, read 14,911,957 times
You really have to like isolation if you want to live in Amarillo. Other than Lubbock, there's a whole lot of nothing within a 3-hour radius of Amarillo. That part of the state is super barren, too, and it's hotter than Hades in the summer. There is some pretty scenery nearby to break up the monotony of the high plains, though.

I recommended Cheyenne in your wider post, and, honestly as much as I like Amarillo, I'd take Cheyenne over it even though Cheyenne has much rougher winters. It's not as hot in the summer. It's far less isolated than Amarillo. Fort Collins and Greeley are only an hour or so away, and Denver is two hours to the south. Glendo and Guernsey reservoirs are 90 minutes to the north, the Laramie Mountains are 40 minutes to the west, and the Black Hills are 3.5 hours to the northeast.

There's no state income tax, the overall tax burden is lower than Texas, and the state is just as conservative (if not moreso). You just have to be prepared to handle winter weather.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:44 PM

751 posts, read 1,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
cow manure smell is certainly in the Panhandle. Lubbock catches it on occasion for sure, but it does not permeate the entire town. Lubbock is very dusty though, the reply that mentioned dust is dead on in that matter. Amarillo is a little windier but not near as dusty. When i lived in far west Lubbock, we would occasionally get cow lot smell.

Some of the small towns in the panhandle will catch cow smell too. When I lived in Muleshoe, the feedlots several miles west of town would stink up the town when the wind blew from the west, but it was not real often in the central part of town where I lived. Friends on the west side of town got the smell a whole lot more.

I live in Canyon now, and will once in a blue moon catch the smell of a cow lot, but not terribly often. Have caught the smell in Amarillo a few times too, but not terribly much.

No, I have not gone nose-blind to manure. I don't find the smell to be anything but terrible, and I don't like it at all. One of the great many reasons I never had a desire to raise cattle.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:56 PM

5,623 posts, read 4,955,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It really drops off out towards Bishop Hills on the Tascosa Highway, love driving that road.
Yes, a fun road and nice terrain there. Also, when you're headed SE on 287, you really don't go that many miles past the airport toward Clarendon before you also hit terrain.

Near Lake Meredith and Borger, there's also terrain.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:58 PM

5,623 posts, read 4,955,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You really have to like isolation if you want to live in Amarillo. Other than Lubbock, there's a whole lot of nothing within a 3-hour radius of Amarillo. That part of the state is super barren, too, and it's hotter than Hades in the summer. There is some pretty scenery nearby to break up the monotony of the high plains, though.

I recommended Cheyenne in your wider post, and, honestly as much as I like Amarillo, I'd take Cheyenne over it even though Cheyenne has much rougher winters. It's not as hot in the summer. It's far less isolated than Amarillo. Fort Collins and Greeley are only an hour or so away, and Denver is two hours to the south. Glendo and Guernsey reservoirs are 90 minutes to the north, the Laramie Mountains are 40 minutes to the west, and the Black Hills are 3.5 hours to the northeast.

There's no state income tax, the overall tax burden is lower than Texas, and the state is just as conservative (if not moreso). You just have to be prepared to handle winter weather.
Panhandle summer days are hot, yes, but the evenings are great. In my opinion it's a better summer climate in Amarillo than any other mid to large city in TX except El Paso, which is basically similar. Probably no coincidence that they're at similar elevations.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,015,483 times
Never been to Lubbock but I think the smell is definitely worse in Amarilla

Old 06-14-2021, 08:19 PM

8,607 posts, read 14,911,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Panhandle summer days are hot, yes, but the evenings are great. In my opinion it's a better summer climate in Amarillo than any other mid to large city in TX except El Paso, which is basically similar. Probably no coincidence that they're at similar elevations.
You'll get no disagreement from me there. Lived in DFW long enough to know that the weather in the eastern half of Texas is hot, sweaty garbage from late May until well into September.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:12 AM

15,538 posts, read 10,521,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Perhaps you are more used to the smell than others? I definitely have smelled it every time I've gone to Amarillo, which I will admit is only a few times.
Nose blind? I don't think so, maybe just nose lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas