Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 AM

536 posts, read 962,306 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have posted on the forums before in the past. Been researching places to retire for some time. We really want to move to TX. Have looked into Tyler, Nacogdoches...but now seriously looking at the panhandle. There are compelling reasons. Was looking from Abilene (not really panhandle) up to Amarillo. Amarillo is sounding more intriguing to us. There are several pros: Its airport has direct flights to Denver where I will travel to see family often. And driving there would be under 6 hours.
The cost of living is low, and there appears to be some nice scenery with Palo Duro canyon.

My main questions are what is everyday life there like? If you live there, do you go to the canyon often to hike? Is there a river at the bottom you can kayak in? What is the birding like? I like to feed the yard birds, especially hummingbirds. I love that it gets so much sunshine there, that is a real compelling aspect. Clear skies for star gazing. What are landscaping options for around a home? What kind of trees can you grow there, and shrubs and so forth? Is water expensive as a utility? Are there droughts often? And how bad is the wind really all year? How long does winter last? Does spring come by March? What about vegetable gardening?

Shopping options for groceries, major grocery stores other than a Walmart super store. Home depot, or lowes. Is there a Kohl's? What about fresh vegetable stands and that sort of thing?

Are there nice walking parks in town?

Our budget would be up to 200,000 (maybe 225) for a home either in town or out in the county with some land. We'd like to live on between 45,000-50,000 a year with retirement. Maybe supplement with part time work if need be.

Good hospitals, doctors, maybe a VA hospital near by?

With Google earth I have "looked around" and see that it's not totally flat in the whole area. There is what I call "bumpy scenery" around there. Rocky, and rugged looking, and "cowboy western movie kind of scene in places. I have actually been through there years ago when driving out to San Antonio from Colorado. But I don't remember everything about it. I do recall it being brown as it was summer.

So what is every day life like for you? Do you find there are things to do to keep busy?

Good place for aging. Want to stay active, participate in clubs and make friends. Find a good church.

Thank you! I have looked up Amarillo to see what other threads there were. Some might be repeat questions, but I didn't find everything I wanted to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 02:37 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,434,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
If you live there, do you go to the canyon often to hike?
When I lived in Canyon, just south of Amarillo, I hiked in the canyon regularly. Also worked in the canyon, which gave me even more time there.

Quote:
Is there a river at the bottom you can kayak in?
The Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River flows through the canyon, but it is NOT kayakable. It's normally ankle deep, until a big rain storm turns it into a raging flash flood for a few hours, then back to ankle deep. You can probably kayak on the area lakes, though.

Quote:
What is the birding like? I like to feed the yard birds, especially hummingbirds.
Lots of birds. If you plant the right landscape, you'll have birds all over the place. Look up migratory bird paths; you find a lot pass over the area.

Quote:
I love that it gets so much sunshine there, that is a real compelling aspect. Clear skies for star gazing.
Yep, as long as you're not right in town or the suburban developments. Away from the light clutter and it's like you could reach up and grab a handful of stars.

Quote:
What are landscaping options for around a home? What kind of trees can you grow there, and shrubs and so forth?
Whatever will grow in USDA Hardiness Zone 7a, as long as you're willing to pay for the water. I'd recommend, however, that you stick to native plants and other plants that don't require lots of water.

Quote:
Is water expensive as a utility? Are there droughts often?
Yes, water is expensive, because it's not readily available like other parts of the US. Droughts are frequent, and so are watering restrictions. Hence the recommendation above.

Quote:
And how bad is the wind really all year? How long does winter last? Does spring come by March? What about vegetable gardening?
The area is windy, but not near as windy as other parts of the US. It's not an every day all day kind of windy, either. We who grew up there don't even think about the wind; it's just part of living there.

Sping generally does arrive by late March, sometimes a bit earlier. But winter can sneak back in for a few days all the way through April. One simply learns what to plant when, and roll with the occasional early spring cold snap.

Mom had a half acre vegetable garden, with cherry, peach, apricot and apple trees, okra, tomatoes, cauliflower, cucumbers, radishes, lettuce, peppers, celery, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, beans, peas, cantiloupe, watermelon, squash, and I don't remember what else. That was where she chose to use the water when rationed -- at least until Dad built the rainwater catchment system.

Quote:
Shopping options for groceries, major grocery stores other than a Walmart super store. Home depot, or lowes. Is there a Kohl's? What about fresh vegetable stands and that sort of thing?
Lots of shopping beyond Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes. Yes, there's a Kohl's. There are farmer's markets, too.

Quote:
There are several very nice parks for walking. The old Rock Island Railroad right of way was also turned into a walking trail.

Quote:
Our budget would be up to 200,000 (maybe 225) for a home either in town or out in the county with some land. We'd like to live on between 45,000-50,000 a year with retirement. Maybe supplement with part time work if need be.
You'll find a lot of choices in that budget range.

Quote:
Amarillo is the regional medical center for a multi-state area. The medical center was built around the VA Hospital. Huge medical support of all kinds.

Quote:
With Google earth I have "looked around" and see that it's not totally flat in the whole area. There is what I call "bumpy scenery" around there. Rocky, and rugged looking, and "cowboy western movie kind of scene in places. I have actually been through there years ago when driving out to San Antonio from Colorado. But I don't remember everything about it. I do recall it being brown as it was summer.
It's not flat. It's also high altitude, getting higher as one travels west and northwest of Amarillo, hence the nickname "The High Plains."

Most summers do tend to be brown, when the native plants go dormant for lack of rain and the wheat turns gold and ripe. Get about a ½" of rain and the native plants green right up.

Quote:
Do you find there are things to do to keep busy?
All kinds of stuff to do, from just gardening to reading out the library to attending every fine arts presentation at both colleges (Amarillo Junior College and West Texas A&M University). There are western dance halls, the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum (definitely a multi-day visit in order there), the Tri-State Fair each September, all the area county fairs, the outdoor musical TEXAS! down in Palo Duro Canyon each summer, volunteer opportunities galore, and so much more my brain is refusing to process it all.

Quote:
Good place for aging. Want to stay active, participate in clubs and make friends. Find a good church.
You'll find it right easy if you want it.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:15 PM

536 posts, read 962,306 times
Thank you very much!

Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,088,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Hello, I have posted on the forums before in the past. Been researching places to retire for some time. We really want to move to TX. Have looked into Tyler, Nacogdoches...but now seriously looking at the panhandle. There are compelling reasons. Was looking from Abilene (not really panhandle) up to Amarillo. Amarillo is sounding more intriguing to us. There are several pros: Its airport has direct flights to Denver where I will travel to see family often. And driving there would be under 6 hours.
The cost of living is low, and there appears to be some nice scenery with Palo Duro canyon.

My main questions are what is everyday life there like? If you live there, do you go to the canyon often to hike? Is there a river at the bottom you can kayak in? What is the birding like? I like to feed the yard birds, especially hummingbirds. I love that it gets so much sunshine there, that is a real compelling aspect. Clear skies for star gazing. What are landscaping options for around a home? What kind of trees can you grow there, and shrubs and so forth? Is water expensive as a utility? Are there droughts often? And how bad is the wind really all year? How long does winter last? Does spring come by March? What about vegetable gardening?

So what is every day life like for you? Do you find there are things to do to keep busy?

Thank you! I have looked up Amarillo to see what other threads there were. Some might be repeat questions, but I didn't find everything I wanted to ask.

Hi yep, I have seen you check out Tyler before. Just to let you know, Frontier Airlines is starting direct flights from Tyler to Denver on July 2. Right now, flights T.T. Sat. morning and evening, with that low
Frontier Flight, aircraft, my friend tell me, seats just under 200. I don't remember the type airline, typical Frontier, I do no they are considered, what a discount airline, but flights are going to be about $125
round trip, no, no stop in DFW, non-stop to Denver. Yes, Frontier has luggage costs, I haven't called about yet. You see, much of this part of Texas, goes to Colorado, all year, for vacations. Not sure this will work for Frontier, but it is happening.

Therefore if direct access to Denver from Tyler, makes that much difference to you, well...

Best to you, again, whatever you settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas