Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:57 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
Once, when traveling through eastern NM, I was STRUCK by the "Texas" accent everyone had!

I guess I thought you were supposed to talk different once you got 15 minutes east of Muleshoe.
I've noticed at least 3 or 4 distinct native Texas accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I've noticed at least 3 or 4 distinct native Texas accents.
Oh yes, but they are all Texas accents. Which I happen to love. YMMV.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
https://youtu.be/Dvi8P-lhJmE

Enjoy. Now THAT'S an "alright!"

Alrighty then.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I'll take a girl with an Aussie accent any day, but that is just me .

Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
One of those entertaining youtube videos I ran into from long ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k

Another more centered around American accents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NriDTxseog

Personally.. the sexiest accent I have ever heard is from a friend of mine. She is Russian but learned/lived to speak English in Australia.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
New York was number 3. I found nothing all that charming about the Bronx or Brooklyn accent coming from any sex.
Me neither. Kinda cute from little kids though...

I'm from Texas and live in the NYC area. I would not have picked either.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:33 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I remember this one guy who moved down here from Boston. He came into a little bar we all hung out out and he always asked for a bottle of beer with the emphasis being on the first syllable BOT and the last syllable (tle) just seemed to fall off. Sounded something like BOT el. I always got the biggest kick out of it and would even say it myself when he was around - get that man a BOT el of beer!
Have you been watching Six Degrees of Separation or something? Inside joke for anyone who has ever seen that movie. Generic (and it varied of course depending on the speaker) Boston accent sounded to me like this, Bah-tl-a-beah.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:54 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh yes, but they are all Texas accents. Which I happen to love. YMMV.
I don't remember what the course was called, but in the 1990's I took a linguistics course at a University. The Professor actually identified the county in which I was born and grew up, without knowing any of that information! All that from just sitting down and talking to me for 10 minutes. So there are differences depending upon what county. In my experience, the more rural county you are from, the deeper the drawl.

I'm from Erath County, but did live in Nebraska and Colorado from 1993-2008. Another topic I find most fascinating, Kathryn. Thanks for starting this thread!

Old 05-16-2019, 04:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
And there's more than one Boston accent. Lived there for years and never found any of those accents "sexy". Mostly grating, actually. To me. No offense to any Bostonians. Love that city.
Though I agree there are varieties of both Texan and Bostonian accents; I find them both sexy. Of course coming from Baltimore, which has the most god awful accent I have heard anywhere might effect my feelings about other accents. I also love deep Louisiana, aka Lucinda Williams accents.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Have you been watching Six Degrees of Separation or something? Inside joke for anyone who has ever seen that movie. Generic (and it varied of course depending on the speaker) Boston accent sounded to me like this, Bah-tl-a-beah.
Guess I missed that one. Your pronunciation is spot on! I couldn't figure out how to get it down in writing. Good job.

I know it always brought a smile to my face hearing him say it.

Accents and dialects sometimes get intermingled I always like hearing the Minnesota/North Dakota Scandinavian accent and with Yah, sher, ya betcha in their dialect. I don't know how sexy it is, but it's sure fun to hear.

I think a lot of Texas dialect is disappearing. I remember growing up hearing phrases like Y'all come back now, y'all hear. Seldom ever hear anything like that now. It could just be me or maybe it's because of my location, but I think the accent is becoming more generic as well. Like I stated earlier, I didn't think I had a Texas accent or drawl or whatever, just knew it was the way I grew up talking and sounded like everyone else (family, friends, etc.), but I can tell a difference in my speech and my daughter's speech (including both accent and dialect). She grew up right here in Texas same as me and same as my parents and grandparents and so on. I attribute it to the influx of the various newcomers to our state and I'm not talking about just recent years, but going on back. I remember how she started changing a lot of her pronunciation starting in late elementary and especially middle school and high school. She started to correct me on my pronunciation certain words, for example wash. She would say, it's not warsh, it's wash and then proceed to spell it for me. lol I guess it was embarrassing to her for me to talk like that in front of her friends (this was in middle school). I just laughed and told her I knew how the word was spelled and knew how it should be pronounce, but I grew up hearing and saying it the way I did. That's not to mean I don't know the proper way to say it and couldn't or shouldn't change, but WTH, I didn't and won't and who cares. She's over it now, but she still talks with a lot of the outside influence she was exposed to growing up and I still talk the same way I always did and we don't sound that much different per se, but there is a subtle difference to our accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: