Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 06:40 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
You're painting things with a really broad brush. One thing that Corpus and Padre have that the north coastal beaches don't have is warm water during the summer. A few summers ago we went to a beach south of Muir Woods in CA. It was a lovely town and a lovely beach but the water was quite cold so we couldn't spend much time in the water.
I haven’t been to California, but I got an opportunity to go to the beach in Alabama. I thought it was pretty nice, but there are some things I like more in Galveston. There were no seashells on the beach in Alabama because it’s such a steep drop off (though much less of a drop off than in California I’m sure). We walked around the beach at night and I didn’t see any crabs or interesting things you’d find in Galveston. Plus I apparently went when the jellyfish were there in the thousands. You literally could not go into the water without getting stung. I am sure the jellyfish aren’t there all the time, but it was a bummer that we couldn’t even get in the water in August. We ended up driving to Florida and going to this beautiful spring. Unfortunately I can’t remember the name, but it was very pretty. Somewhere in northwest Florida.

The only other beaches I’ve been to were in England, which were rocky rather than sandy, and of course too cold to swim. Oh, and when I was a kid visiting my dad in Chicago for the summer we went to a place my cousins called the “Sand Dunes,” which I thought was an oceanfront beach. Turns out it was Lake Michigan, but it had nice sand and even waves. The sand dunes were really more like small cliff faces where people were hang gliding. I liked that beach better than Gulf Shores or England.

As you can see, I’m not we’ll traveled. Though I just remembered a cruise I took in 2005, when we got off the boat in Cozumel. That beach was pretty, but I didn’t hang out there so i didn’t remember it very well.

Last edited by katygirl68; 03-20-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,630,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
Visited Galveston for Spring Break and the brown water, massive amounts of seaweed, and flatness left me highly disappointed. Nice historical city but the water was a deal breaker. I heard even South Padre Island isn’t worth the drive from the 4 big Texan cities which make up most of the state.

I’m not trying to bash. Houstonians are fortunate to be a close flight away to many wonderful Caribbean islands.
Post based on ignorance. As has mentioned MANY times here on the Tx CD board the "brown" water is a result of prevailing east to west currents in the Gulf of Mexico streaming the outflow from the Mississippi River westward. The sediment flow from one of the world's major rivers and its huge watershed is immense to the point of building land at the mouth of the river.

All this fertile sediment contributes to the seafood basket of the US. Millennials generally have no clue about life and the world. Possible Beto voter. Seaweed grows profusely on the G of Mx. Sargassum, carried by those same currents . Glad it was a "deal breaker" for you, we value intelligence in Tx..

Old 03-20-2019, 08:14 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Not to mention all the Texas Rivers that actually do flow into the area around Galveston.
The Texas rivers don't actually contribute much, because most pass through bay systems where the sediment is deposited away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
You can think what you want, but Texas beaches are clearly inferior to anywhere on the east or west coast, plus Georgia and maybe even Alabama.
Nope, the water in Georgia isn't any better, in fact, it's arguably worse. That entire curve of coast from Jacksonville to South Carolina creates huge tides which constantly pull loads of silt from the rivers and into the ocean. Not to mention that the Atlantic is rougher. In contrast, the Gulf is calmer, and has smaller tidal ranges, which maximize water clarity (as long as all other factors are equal).

Nevertheless, Padre is the saving grace for Texas. It is, by far, the best warm beach destination in the CONUS outside of Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
All this fertile sediment contributes to the seafood basket of the US. Millennials generally have no clue about life and the world. Possible Beto voter. Seaweed grows profusely on the G of Mx. Sargassum, carried by those same currents . Glad it was a "deal breaker" for you, we value intelligence in Tx..
What does age and voter preferences have to do with this topic?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Post based on ignorance. As has mentioned MANY times here on the Tx CD board the "brown" water is a result of prevailing east to west currents in the Gulf of Mexico streaming the outflow from the Mississippi River westward. The sediment flow from one of the world's major rivers and its huge watershed is immense to the point of building land at the mouth of the river.

You can bash that poster .... but no one sees murky waters as inviting and the huge seaweed piles on shore either.

You think it makes for what most people see as a great beach vacation? Guess you would be most intelligent over most.

Galveston's beaches are decent many times. Many areas are deep sand beaches that vehicles are allowed to tailgate on. May be part of the Texas beach scene and just normal. But it isn't going to get major resorts built there.

Much of the Texas coast is lost beaches never restored, or marshlands. The beaches are a asset..... but to boast the Mississippi sentiment is good and even big seaweed beached clumps upon them? Is a bit ridiculous.

The State just chose not to spend the money clearing the seaweed. Not that they care about turtles feeding on it, as a save our turtles reason .... Texas is a Conservative state after all. Turtles mean little to save if it cost money.

Galveston is good for what it offers. It isn't a Florida Gulf coast or even San Padre Island. But it is a asset to those who use its shores and live there.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:18 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
I do agree that South Padre is very nice

Old 03-21-2019, 12:38 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Galveston has many rivers flowing into it, including the Mississippi. If you’re east of the Mississippi away from the current, there are pretty beaches, but west until around Corpus Christi it is pretty muddy but starts to clear up a bit. Corpus and Port Aransas down to Pade Island are pretty decent. It’s not a massive ocean like the Pacific, but it’s nice enough.

As for the seaweed, they used to clean it up but now I think they leave it for the sea turtle mating season and to help against beach erosion. I could be wrong, but that was what I was told.
"Seaweed" Sargassum is very important to the Gulf ecosystem. It does help with potential dune erosion. It also protects juvenile fish, crabs, and shrimp. It's perfectly natural and not something "dirty". Not fun to swim in or walk on, I'll give the OP that. Do I think the public beaches around Galveston are pretty? Not in general. Katygirl, I agree that Port Aransas and south are decent enough. Anyone who has only been to Galveston beaches just don't know. South Padre is my favorite.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
You can think what you want, but Texas beaches are clearly inferior to anywhere on the east or west coast, plus Georgia and maybe even Alabama.
But there's always Mississippi - making the rest of the nation look good.

OK, seriously - I've been to many beaches in my lifetime, in the US and Europe and the UK (are they still the same thing today? LOL) and Asia. I've also been to Galveston, around Corpus Christi, and further south to South Padre Island. I enjoyed my time in Galveston and the beach wasn't bad, and the water wasn't either. No, it wasn't clear but I understand geography and didn't expect it to be. The water WAS clear in South Padre.

I like all sorts of ocean side terrain - heck, I like the ocean. That being said, I enjoy more "action" at the beach - by "action" I don't mean spring break, I mean wind, waves, rocks, whales, shells, etc. - and I don't have to get in the water if I can enjoy other types of "beach ambiance." So I don't go anywhere on the Gulf Coast for those things.

I know I just bashed Mississippi but actually one of my favorite beachy destinations is Ship Island off the coast of Mississippi. It's far enough out to get some wave action and the sand is beautiful and it's sort of isolated which I really like. Plus it has a cool Civil War history including the ruins of a prison there. The desolation of the place is interesting to me, and dolphins will swim right up to you, which is cool.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-21-2019 at 06:10 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Thanks Kathryn for your positive post, and putting matters in perspective!

It really comes down to attitude. Beauty is in the 'eye of the beholder', and if you strive for an attitude of appreciation, you can nearly always find beneficial aspects. The complainers tend to reveal ugliness within, rather than externally as they are attempting.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
No, I'm not, because no one thinks of Texas as a beachy/ coastal state to begin with.

Our coast isnt very pretty, but no one said it was, so its easy to appreciate it for the interesting places that it is because its not overrated to begin with.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:33 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
No, I'm not, because no one thinks of Texas as a beachy/ coastal state to begin with. Our coast isnt very pretty, but no one said it was...
We've got many miles of beaches and coast, so we're definitely a coastal sate. And our coast is pretty. I'm willing to see it and look for it ("seek and you shall find").

Move to a state with no coast and beach access, and it might just improve your perspective. Been there, done that. Ain't goin' back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas