Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 12:24 PM

778 posts, read 504,977 times

Advertisements

My son and his family moved from SoCal to TX for the wife's job and to be able to buy a house, which they could not do, at least where they wanted to with three boys, in CA. My daughter-in-law has been diagnosed with RA, and it is getting worse. Becoming difficult to wrangle the boys. My wife and I have decided to move to TX for retirement to help out with the boys. I should say here that I have some family in TX. Not close, but my mom was from West Texas, a little town called Farwell, but I am a SoCal native. Anyhoo, we're looking for a place east of DFW, within 1.5hr drive of North Richland Hills, that has good motorcycle riding. Is there such a place?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM

349 posts, read 260,480 times
Prayers for your DiL and her RA curse. Sometimes we are pushed in a direction we never saw coming in life.

As for your request. 1.5 hrs east of North Richland Hills still puts you in Dallas. So, all I can say is the further north you go from the metroplex, the better. Flower Mound, Highland Village, The Colony, etc. That still puts you around a couple of lakes for some decent riding.

Say adios to all that SoCal ocean-side and mountainous terrain, and say hola to farm land and pasture land.

A couple of riding sources: Ride Texas magazine (quarterly, Winter issue still on the shelves until April); and Two Wheeled Texans, a message board for all kinds of riders.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
TX is a parched wilderness for off-road use , hiking, wilderness camping

Almost 100% Private land in TX, where the west (states) is often 50% PUBLIC land, sometimes 70%.

big state, so expect to drive (for 6-10 hrs), then fight the crowds (dust) at ORV parks (private)
The 5 Best Places in Texas to Off-Road in Your Jeep
https://www.texasoutside.com/best-of...parks-in-texas
Big areas for camping and dirtbikes? - Texas Offroad Network Forums
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/t...-ohvs-in-texas

Consider adopting a more 'Texas centric' hobby.

BBQ and Rolling Coal on main street.
or... buy 5 acres and become a Neighbor from Hxll.... Riding and shooting every waking hour (and well into the night) (a Texas Privilege / obligation). We often get rounds fired and dirt racing between midnight and 5AM. ~ 40 homes in a 2,000 acre 'peaceful valley')

As soon as the boys are street age, there is some decent ADV riding in Texas.
http://www.texasadventure.net/articl...g-an-overview/
https://rever.co/2015/07/31/riding-texas-hill-country/

good investment here:
http://www.texasadventure.net/cool-stuff/ride-guides/

Or... while younger... head to nearby OK, KS, CO, NM (or to Big Bend).
I keep (cheap) ADV bikes in destinations that I fly to. (good choice from DFW)
NW Arkansas will be more accessible to you in DFW.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-21-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 08:45 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Unfortunately, OP - some folks simply don't understand the riding vernacular......fortunately, some of us gun-toting, unrefined redneckts do.

BMW1100....you likely favor the twisties.....I'd go west, towards Weatherford. That way, you've got the option to go south towards the Hill Country (Fredericksburg, Llano, Kerrville, etc), north or west. East of NRH would barely put you outside of Dallas, and while there IS some riding to be had in that direction, the better twisties (IMO) would be found going to the south/west. The wife's allergies have gotten to the point that we no longer can do 2 wheels, but over the previous 20 years, we did more than 100k miles on Wings and Harleys - mostly touring, but if it was just me I'd be bustin' some curves in the Texas Hill Country.

And you HAVE to schedule a trip to the legendary Luckenbach, Texas (yes, it really DOES exist) and get a picture of the y'all in front of the old Post Office to send back to your friends!

Best of luck!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Prayers for your DiL and her RA curse. Sometimes we are pushed in a direction we never saw coming in life.

As for your request. 1.5 hrs east of North Richland Hills still puts you in Dallas. So, all I can say is the further north you go from the metroplex, the better. Flower Mound, Highland Village, The Colony, etc. That still puts you around a couple of lakes for some decent riding.

Say adios to all that SoCal ocean-side and mountainous terrain, and say hola to farm land and pasture land.

A couple of riding sources: Ride Texas magazine (quarterly, Winter issue still on the shelves until April); and Two Wheeled Texans, a message board for all kinds of riders.
I drive from Tyler to North Richland Hills, Bursy Street @ Ruff Snow, 4 - 5 times a year. I travel NON-Rush Hours, I plan to avoid traffic, I leave on week days about 1 to 2 pm arrive around 3 to 4 pm. Return usually on Sat Morning until 3 pm arrive back within 2 hours.

Therefore if plan off hour trips, a two hour trip from Tyler, now, South Tyler 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours. Judging from that, you SHOULD be able to live as far East of NRH, drawing a North to South "line" from Greenville, Quinlan, Wills Point, Canton, line, for sure from Canton, which I've "timed" on many occasions. Stay west of that "line" you should be within that 1 1/2 requested time line.

Many bikers ride the rolling hills of East Texas, around the Tyler area, from 30 miles west, to 30 miles, south, east, southeast, northeast, to southwest of Tyler, Around Tyler. The Harley-Davidson state group has held their state "event" thousand of bikers in Tyler in the last 5 - 10 years.

Texas DOES have a few areas the bikers do enjoy in Texas.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 PM

478 posts, read 417,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Almost 100% Private land in TX, where the west (states) is often 50% PUBLIC land, sometimes 70%.

big state, so expect to drive (for 6-10 hrs), then fight the crowds (dust) at ORV parks (private)
The 5 Best Places in Texas to Off-Road in Your Jeep
https://www.texasoutside.com/best-of...parks-in-texas
Big areas for camping and dirtbikes? - Texas Offroad Network Forums
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/t...-ohvs-in-texas

Consider adopting a more 'Texas centric' hobby.

BBQ and Rolling Coal on main street.
or... buy 5 acres and become a Neighbor from Hxll.... Riding and shooting every waking hour (and well into the night) (a Texas Privilege / obligation). We often get rounds fired and dirt racing between midnight and 5AM. ~ 40 homes in a 2,000 acre 'peaceful valley')

As soon as the boys are street age, there is some decent ADV riding in Texas.
Texas Dual Sport Adventure Riding – An Overview – Texas Adventure
https://rever.co/2015/07/31/riding-texas-hill-country/

good investment here:
Ride Guides – Texas Adventure

Or... while younger... head to nearby OK, KS, CO, NM (or to Big Bend).
I keep (cheap) ADV bikes in destinations that I fly to. (good choice from DFW)
NW Arkansas will be more accessible to you in DFW.
The OP is referring to actual motorcycles. Not dirt bikes - hence the username. Nice rant though.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 AM

160 posts, read 196,273 times
Best riding in the state is Central Texas to the west of Austin & San Antonia around the Bandera and Leakey area. Look up the Three Twisted Sisters. Just dont go in the summer cause it is hot as hell down there.

Closer to DFW I would advise you go West. Granbury, Glen Rose, Mineral Wells, Possum Kingdom lake have some decent roads. Nothing comparable to SoCal though.

This place is a huge bike spot oustide of Glen Rose. It gets super crowded so be prepared for a long wait but the food is worth it.
http://www.lococoyotegrill.com/

Last edited by abelinkkin; 01-22-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 01:54 PM

308 posts, read 638,052 times
It's exactly 1.5 hours from NRH to Canton, not during rush hour. I know because I've driven it no less that 250 times over the years to my in-laws house. Just outside (North) of Canton, on HWY 17 is Buffalo Creek Motocross. Buffalo Creek has been around 10 years or more. It's a nice track. Take a look.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
sorry, I thought OP was looking to address this... "I have decided to move to TX for retirement to help out with the boys.", as in CA style ORV engagement with family / kids.

Of course I recognized the BMW R1100 having been a R90S rider for 40 yrs... (not my favorite, and not what I keep in TX for any of my (3) bikes there, but would be OK)

since I am <7 min from here... I ride the switchbacks daily on vintage iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4GPoVqkm8

Yes, OK road riding in Hill Country, and likely other parts of TEX, (watch out for the deer!)

Certainly not a CA, CO, NM, WY, SD, UT, ID, MT, OR, WA experience. (if one is considering both public 'paved' and public non-paved.), but plenty of S-P-A-C-E.

It is what we have... big state... find your pleasure.
If it involves kids / or ORV, your choices are limited. IMHO

This is a nearby TX favorite for many riders. Nice ride on an early morning mid week.
https://eatsleepride.com/c/7203/the_...to_leaky_texas

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-22-2019 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 PM

221 posts, read 204,126 times
RR 1431 from Marble Falls to Jonestown area is a great 21 mile ride.

If you ever get to the Austin area for a bike ride, take RR 2222 from Austin to FM 620. It’s not a real good ride these days, traffic and many cross streets. But it is worth the ride to consider what it was in the late 60’ early 70’. Four lanes of some of the best ride anywhere. No develop and only 2 cross roads for 8 miles of twists and turns.

Someone should have purchased that road for private users only. Lol.
Put many faster than I should miles on 2222 riding a modified 72 Kawasaki 750 two stroke triple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas