Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 02:56 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,072,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Louisiana Creole cuisine is distinct to Louisiana and is particular to the area around New Orleans. It might be considered a sub-type of African-American food, but in Louisiana Creoles saw themselves as racially distinct from African-Americans. Some of them even owned their own plantations (some of which you can tour)

When Creoles began moving to Texas - in particular places like Frenchtown in Houston - they were labeled as "black" even though they saw themselves as racially distinct.

Percy Creuzot, who later go the name "Frenchy", was from New Orleans and his cookery was based on Creole cuisine...
The Creuzot family are longtime friends and they're definitely black (and consider themselves so).

Old 01-18-2019, 03:15 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,072,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
People harping on creole cajun stuff as if its exclusive to Houston. Thats mostly a Louisiana thing. Creole cajun food in Houston is just as watered down and basic as it is anywhere else you find it in Texas.....Texas is not Louisiana(Not even Houston) no matter how much Southernboy205 wants it to be:
Watered down and basic Creole food eh... That's pretty funny. This is an area where the two areas aren't that close imo. Is there even a single place in Dallas where you can get fresh cracklin straight out of the grease? Stuff like that is pretty common, I've eaten it as street food in Houston. Never could find a good place in Dallas to get REAL spicy boudin balls (not what passes as spicy in most of Texas) or great boudin in general. There's probably a good spot or two in DFW where you may be able to find those things by now, but there's good Creole and Cajun spots all over the place in Houston.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 7 days ago)

8,386 posts, read 5,545,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Watered down and basic Creole food eh... That's pretty funny. This is an area where the two areas aren't that close imo. Is there even a single place in Dallas where you can get fresh cracklin straight out of the grease? Stuff like that is pretty common, I've eaten it as street food in Houston. Never could find a good place in Dallas to get REAL spicy boudin balls (not what passes as spicy in most of Texas) or great boudin in general. There's probably a good spot or two in DFW where you may be able to find those things by now, but there's good Creole and Cajun spots all over the place in Houston.
Houston is just much more geographically closer to that region and more people from that region live in Houston.

Two things that have been said in recent posts that raised my eyebrows:

1) Comparing Cajun and Creole food. Two completely different things.
2) "African American food" and Creole food are basically the same thing. Assuming hes talking about Soul food, no way.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,809,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Houston is just much more geographically closer to that region and more people from that region live in Houston.

Two things that have been said in recent posts that raised my eyebrows:

1) Comparing Cajun and Creole food. Two completely different things.
2) "African American food" and Creole food are basically the same thing. Assuming hes talking about Soul food, no way.
You are not black, bro. I know my people’s food.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Oh God, I didn’t read Vicman’s post all the way through when he said that Creoles don’t consider themselves black. Lmao. I have several Creole friends born and raised in Houston, and they consider themselves black.

There are several Creole communities in Greater Houston, such Barrett, Raywood, southern. Galveston County, and Ames, that have been here since the 1800s and 1900s. Creole food is a staple here, even less so than Cajun food.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 PM

They barely even eat crawfish in Dallas.

Many people from Louisiana call Houston “West Louisiana.”

Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,640,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
People harping on creole cajun stuff as if its exclusive to Houston. Thats mostly a Louisiana thing. Creole cajun food in Houston is just as watered down and basic as it is anywhere else you find it in Texas.....Texas is not Louisiana(Not even Houston) no matter how much Southernboy205 wants it to be:
I'm originally from East Texas and moving to Houston and living in other places in Texas I can definitely tell you that Houston and Southeast Texas definitely has more ties to Southwest Louisiana(where a lot of Louisiana Creole people come from) than other parts of Texas. Dallas has more in common with East Texas/ Northwest Louisiana/Oklahoma and Southwest Arkansas. In Houston they always play Zydeco on the R&B radio station every friday. There use to be communities in the city that were exclusively Creole. Frenchtown is the most famous one in the state. Plenty of people in the Golden Triangle also have family from Southwest Louisiana so there's that connection. Have similar accents as well. It's not exclusive to Houston but it's much more blatant in Houston and Southeast Texas.

And yes historically a lot of Creole people did not consider themselves Black. Really wasn't till New Orleans started segregation is when Creoles were forced to live in predominately Black neighborhoods of the city. Still their cuisine was mostly influenced by their African ancestry. New Orleans at one point in time were under Spanish rule. Spanish colonies went by a caste system more so than a 1 drop rule like other parts of America. That caste system allowed for Creole people to separate themselves from non mulattoes. It started to change once America started taking over. Many descendants of Creole people in New Orleans eventually considered themselves Black and intermingled with other Black residents of New Orleans. It was also several Creole people who moved out of New Orleans into more rural areas of Louisiana and they're still some racism that goes on with them. Still don't like to date outside the "race". Not all people in rural areas but it's more common than the city.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 7 days ago)

8,386 posts, read 5,545,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You don’t have to be black to know what soul food and creole food are. They aren’t the same thing.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-20-2019 at 08:29 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You don’t have to be black to know what soul food and creole food are. They aren’t the same thing.
They aren’t distinct. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:13 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,112,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Well, I'm black, and apparently you don't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas