Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 PM

160 posts, read 638,655 times

Advertisements

I think her fortune was based mainly on the mass of wealth that Jim had made after his governorship in land deals. After his death, the family's amassed land proved to be rich in oil.

From what all I have read and studied about Ima, I think she shared part of her father's sense of humor though. I've read of several accounts of her being very light hearted about her name.

Name aside, Ima was truely one of the most generous of Texans in the form of her philantropy. Through her contributions, the state was made a better place, especially in the form of the arts and music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM

3,821 posts, read 8,754,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
One of my friends in Garland lives on Homer Johnson, he really wants to get the street renamed!

Good luck with that. That's just one of the many shrines to Homer. The next street over is named after his wife.

Momof2dfw mentioned on one of the Dallas threads about kids going to schools named after their grandparents. One of the streets in the neighborhood with Homer Johnson is Luna and a friend of mine lives on that street and has known the Luna's her whole life. I have to think that would be an odd feeling.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,686 times
As far as the crazy "Way" streets in Lake Jackson, Texas -- they're pretty insane & I even grew up there! Kind of neat though. Definitely unique!

-Center Way -- goes through the center of downtown
-Circle Way -- circles around downtown
-Winding Way is pretty self-explanatory
-This Way actually intersects with That Way. If you take a picture of the street signs, it's pretty amusing.
-There's also a very short street named His Way. Guess what was on it? A church.
-Parking Way. Trust me, I don't get that one either.
-Run Way. Don't get that either.
-Any Way is there too. Like I said, insane.

Strangely, all of the other streets are named after a flower/tree/plant. All the obvious ones are taken (Maple, Redwood, Pine, Oak, etc), so newer additions have some pretty out there names. As kids, friends and I kind of poked fun at each other about it -- "You live on Huisache?! I live on Bougainvillea" -- that kind of thing. Jalapeno Ct. & Habanero Ct. are right across from one another. There's Silver Lace, Mist Flower, Catalpa St, Tamarisk, etc.

I guess the upside is that I learned VERY early on how to pronounce and spell botanical names. Not very user friendly to outsiders though, especially with the confusing layout of the town. I always wanted to live on Lotus St. (my fave flower).

Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 PM

556 posts, read 1,564,497 times
When I lived in Alaska, my favorite street was: Four Wheel Dr.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,249,053 times
I was lost on the NE side of San Antonio today and ran into Weathercock Ln.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
In Galveston, there is an Avenue P , an Avenue Q , an Avenue R ---but they are two blocks apart. In between there is Avenue P-1/2 , Avenue Q-1/2 , Avenue R-1/2 , etc.

By far the best street names in the US are in New Orleans. Streets often have thematic names in a neighborhood. One old section just above Canal Street, the streets are named for the Greek Muses, which are Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, Melpomene , Polyhymnia ,Terpsichore ,Thalia, and Urania.

Another section near the race track has streets named Agriculture, Industry, Treasure, Abundance, Pleasure, Humanity, Benefit, Hope, Law, and my favorite, Duels.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-05-2009 at 12:51 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 05:47 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,237,325 times
There's a street in Temple called 'Mama Dog Street' where the animal shelter is located. Can't help but think some city planner was thinking of his wife or an old girl friend when that one was named.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 AM

170 posts, read 598,896 times
I don't mind silly names as much as loooong names. It gets so old giving out your address with a long street name, especially when you live in an apartment. We once lived at XXXX River Lodge Trail North, Apt. XXX. We then moved to XXXX Alta Mira Circle, Apt. XXXX, which was only slightly better. We currently live at yet another three-word street name, which is fronted by a five-number address! Imagine my elation when I learned the address of the house we're buying is very simple.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM

687 posts, read 2,129,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Anyone been to Lake Jackson lately? When I was there, they were all 'Ways' (instead of streets or lanes), and they were named 'This Way' and 'That Way' and 'Any Way' etc, etc.
Yes! I go to Lake Jackson often, and really enjoy seeing these streets . They're all twisty and curvey. If you notice, the old Lake Jackson wasn't laid out in a grid, but had many dead ends and twisty curvey roads. I was told that the city was built in the 1940s, for employees of the new Dow Chemical. City planners made the city not look like a city on purpose, so that if enemy war planes were looking for manufacturing factories and important cities to bomb, they would never suspect Lake Jackson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas