Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 01:18 PM

20,227 posts, read 18,486,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Rice is so overhyped. It's an expensive niche school for most, but still not anywhere in league with real ivy league school caliber institutions. It's a good school, but it won't surpass institutions like UT or A&M where it actually matters.
To me all well known elite small private schools are overrated by many.

So far as not being near the Ivies, Rice has inbound SAT scores 10 pts. behind Princeton, tied with Penn. and ahead of Dartmouth, Brown and Cornell inbound GPA is in line as well. Rice stacks up very well with the Ivies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 05:01 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,219,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
I know some of the Texas universities produced Nobel prize winners. Nobel laureates number is a key indicator of science academic reputation.
You are confusing undergrad ranking and strength with grad/post grad programs. Go research why people in academia prefer schools like Princeton, Williams and Amherst over Harvard and Cornell for undergrad education?

Old 09-30-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermergerd View Post
ROFL. Wash U has been ranked ahead of Rice for decades. Rice is garbage in comparison. Wash U has a top tier med school and known through the country for it's academics.

Pomona is one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country bar none.

You obviously know dick all about higher education. Why even bother talking?
What does having a medical school has to do with undergrad education? How many top 20 schools have medical schools? I get it, you like Wash U but unfortunately calling turf3 or any other poster names, doesn’t add any validity to your opinion about education.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
What does having a medical school has to do with undergrad education? How many top 20 schools have medical schools? I get it, you like Wash U but unfortunately calling turf3 or any other poster names, doesn’t add any validity to your opinion about education.
I bet ~3/4 of the top 20 do have attached medical schools and the others have close affiliations.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I bet ~3/4 of the top 20 do have attached medical schools and the others have close affiliations.
Rice is next door neighbour to Baylor Medical School and probably largest medical district in the world. However, it’s of significance to pre-health students only, not so much for others. As liberal arts and other undergrad colleges send as many of students to medical schools, obviously it’s not a prerequisite to have one adjacent to your campus.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:49 PM

Who has better medical school acceptance rate? UT or A&M?

Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Rice is next door neighbour to Baylor Medical School and probably largest medical district in the world. However, it’s of significance to pre-health students only, not so much for others. As liberal arts and other undergrad colleges send as many of students to medical schools, obviously it’s not a prerequisite to have one adjacent to your campus.
1). You asked a question and I answered it.
2). I noted Rice's strong ties to the Houston medical district/medical community a couple of posts above.
3). If your claim is that having a medical school affiliation is of significance to pre-health types only that's nonsense. An example, a doctor we know is a professor at UTD and a doctor at UTSW/Parkland. If not for his ability to practice medicine at UTSW, UTD would have no shot having this guy as a prof. Just a guess but judging by what he does at UTD likely no more than 25% of his students are pre-health.
4). There's no way your claim about traditional liberal arts colleges is correct as stated, probably not even proportionally. In Texas for example the large doc. producing undergrad programs are UT, A&M, Baylor, Rice, Houston. I'd wager lunch that even including SMU and TCU all the liberal arts colleges in TX produce fewer medical students combined than UT.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Who has better medical school acceptance rate? UT or A&M?
I don't know but both produce hundreds of docs. to be every year. However, I'd guess UT as the UT system has six medical schools many of those having been around for many decades and A&M's foray in medicine is much newer. The coattail effect implies UT would produce more proportionally.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
1). You asked a question and I answered it.
2). I noted Rice's strong ties to the Houston medical district/medical community a couple of posts above.
3). If your claim is that having a medical school affiliation is of significance to pre-health types only that's nonsense. An example, a doctor we know is a professor at UTD and a doctor at UTSW/Parkland. If not for his ability to practice medicine at UTSW, UTD would have no shot having this guy as a prof. Just a guess but judging by what he does at UTD likely no more than 25% of his students are pre-health.
4). There's no way your claim about traditional liberal arts colleges is correct as stated, probably not even proportionally. In Texas for example the large doc. producing undergrad programs are UT, A&M, Baylor, Rice, Houston. I'd wager lunch that even including SMU and TCU all the liberal arts colleges in TX produce fewer medical students combined than UT.

“it’s of significance to pre-health students only, not so much for others” “OF SiGNIFICANCE” “NOT SO MUCH” Didn’t say not at all. In most cases probably as much as having medical district next door helps architecture students to study hospital plans and having energy companies helps environmental science kids.

As liberal arts and other undergrad colleges send as many of students to medical schools, obviously it’s not a prerequisite to have one adjacent to your campus. Amherst, Pomona, Williams etc send good numbers, there is a reason English and humanities majors are now quite popular for medical schools.

As far as UTD having a UTSW guy, probably Rice has many medical district bigwigs taking classes and there. By the way Austin College and Southwestern from Texas are good LAC examples sending kids to medical schools. I agree that as an Asian/South Adian heavy/commuter school UTD has a huge number of pre-med/ CS students and serves them quite well as a vocational pathway. I agree with IT, A&M, Rice, Baylor, SMU, TCU, UTD as major suppliers of medical school applicants.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I don't know but both produce hundreds of docs. to be every year. However, I'd guess UT as the UT system has six medical schools many of those having been around for many decades and A&M's foray in medicine is much newer. The coattail effect implies UT would produce more proportionally.
They graduate five times more students than small custom schools like Rice, Baylor, SMU etc so no wonder number wise they’ll always have more but not in percentage. I think A &M and UT systems are pretty equal producers as medical schools are more interested in GPA, MCAT then affiliations. To be fair, they are more interested in low income, rural and minority than many other aspects as those are the demographics who need more doctors. It’s a whole different issue that medical graduates who get edge in admissions and full financial aid, doesn’t have a pattern of going back to their communities.

By the way, parents who are looking for tips, smaller and rural campuses of both UT & A&M systems are easier pathways to medical schools than Austin or College Station, getting into BS/MD is easier as well. It’s no where as selective as few coveted Baylor/Baylor or Rice/Baylor spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas