Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:37 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid (3 decades ago) we used to frequent road trips from Dallas to to San Antonio. Back then, most of it was just empty land and flat and boring all the way to San Antonio with the exception of Waco and Austin having a few exits. We moved out of Texas for a good while and decades later (now) I move back for a job in Austin....

WHOA...

I had absolutely no idea so much development has been happening between Dallas and San Antonio. It's almost completely urban from DFW all the way to San Antonio on I-35 and alot of new highways and interchanges..

It reminds me alot of CA-99 in California where it constantly is passing through cities between Bakersfield and Sacremento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 PM

53 posts, read 116,725 times
99 and 5 are mostly two lanes, passing through rural areas. And smell badly.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
99 and 5 are mostly two lanes, passing through rural areas. And smell badly.
Hmmm, I dunno about 5 but 99 is 3 to 4 lanes each way in alot of places... Although there are large chunks where its 2 lanes each way, its definitely far from mostly 2 lanes.

5 is alot more boring though.

35 was quite fascinating. I love the new overpasses and architecture along the side of the highway.

Smells aside, what I was mostly comparing it to is how both highways are constantly passing through urban areas fairly frequently in the middle of the plains.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
I was on 99 and I-5 in the Central Valley. I-5 is four lanes the whole way, it has to be it's an interstate. Parts of 99 are four lane others are two lanes. The towns there look nothing like here. Also the farms are totally different. Here there are corn fields, in the Central Valley there are peaches, citrus, dairy farms, onions, garlic, celery, tomatoes, grapes, and tons of seeds and nuts of all sorts.

There is nothing like this along I-35. In the Central Valley they are everywhere. We stopped at a gas station and you could pick fruits and nuts. The farmer said that of the crops grown in California, 90% are used for Americans fruits and vegetables. This is contrasting to the Midwest where 90% of the corn grown is used as feed for cattle, chickens, and pigs.

Most of the country is incapable of producing the high quality produce that only the Central Valley in California can grow.

The smell is mainly the garlic. You notice it the minute you drive through Gilroy. The onion fields are strong too. But what do you expect? Basically all of the garlic for America is grown right there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3409.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	199109

If you click twice it straightens it out...

Look at those trees too. Nothing with trunks that big can grow in Texas.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:33 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
When I was a kid (3 decades ago) we used to frequent road trips from Dallas to to San Antonio. Back then, most of it was just empty land and flat and boring all the way to San Antonio with the exception of Waco and Austin having a few exits. We moved out of Texas for a good while and decades later (now) I move back for a job in Austin....

WHOA...

I had absolutely no idea so much development has been happening between Dallas and San Antonio. It's almost completely urban from DFW all the way to San Antonio on I-35 and alot of new highways and interchanges..

It reminds me alot of CA-99 in California where it constantly is passing through cities between Bakersfield and Sacremento.
No. I’ve never seen Sacremento.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was on 99 and I-5 in the Central Valley. I-5 is four lanes the whole way, it has to be it's an interstate. Parts of 99 are four lane others are two lanes. The towns there look nothing like here. Also the farms are totally different. Here there are corn fields, in the Central Valley there are peaches, citrus, dairy farms, onions, garlic, celery, tomatoes, grapes, and tons of seeds and nuts of all sorts.

There is nothing like this along I-35. In the Central Valley they are everywhere. We stopped at a gas station and you could pick fruits and nuts. The farmer said that of the crops grown in California, 90% are used for Americans fruits and vegetables. This is contrasting to the Midwest where 90% of the corn grown is used as feed for cattle, chickens, and pigs.
The only part of 99 that is two lanes is far north of Sacramento metro, where it stops being a continuous freeway. This is away from the majority of the Central Valley farmland. 99 is mostly six lanes between The Grapevine and Sacramento. It drops down to four lanes for short stretches between the smaller Central Valley city and goes up to 8-10 lanes in some of the larger Central Valley cities (Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton). Seeing all the farms along this route can be interesting but it smells like manure almost the entire way.

The 5 is only four lanes between the Grapevine and Tracy, CA. It's the most boring ride between LA and SF but you can get there quick. It's also pretty hilly in spots too so things can be a little interesting.

When I drive between both cities, I usually opt for 99 because of more rest options and cheaper gas. Downside is the Central Valley traffic as it's the main artery for the region.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Nope.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:20 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

WHOA...

For certain you have maga congestion along I-35 from DFW to San Antonio, but hopes are high when and IF widening the freeway with more lanes is finally finished, at least if not scenic, lol, bearable, now, it is a challenging, i.e. demanding drive.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
I've lived in Bakersfield and Texas. The Central valley is EXTREMELY texas-like in everything from culture to economy (oil and ag). When I first moved to Texas, it felt a lot like Bakersfield.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:17 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I-20 between Midland and DFW reminds me of I-5 between Sacramento and Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas