Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:33 PM

52 posts, read 139,200 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know I am very lucky to travel around the USA.

My parents, other member of my family and lot of my friends can not afford a trip in your wonderfull country.

As I will spend 2 weeks in Texas on April, I would like to bring them a special thing from the Lonestar State.

What is the most popular gift you can buy for friends here ? What else ?

Is the "bull**** of Texas" a joke a friend of mine made me a long time ago or a reallity ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
What is the bull**** supposed to be?

Old 03-26-2008, 12:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Do you mean the fake cowchips? Usually food items make good gifts. Wait, let me rephrase this whole thing. That doesn't sound right together Fake cowchips are fake cow****.

Talking about that and food together wasn't right. But food items also make good gifts. Things made with Texas pecans, like candy. Hotsauce. Maybe some knick knack with the Texas star, or lone star flag?

Old 03-26-2008, 12:58 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
There used to be Texas Passports available for about $5.00. Haven't seen them in a while, but, then, I haven't been looking.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
How about some cowboy hats, or boots? San Antonio's famous for it's Luchesse boots.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Country Western CDs?

Banderas?

Trying to think of small and easy to pack.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 PM

52 posts, read 139,200 times
LOL...the bull*** of Texas was supposed to be a bull's excrement in a small bubble of glass. When you shake it up and down, some snow falls.
That exists everywhere. In Paris, France, you can find some bubble of glass with snow and inside an Eiffel Tower....do you see what I mean ?

Food....I know that it is forbitten to bring any food from France to the USA, in the airplane, we have to fill a form and we have to say no at this kind of question "Are you carrying some food or vegetable with you ?"
I do not know if it is ths same when we flight back to France...

Hats: this is a good idea but large items, boots is more difficult because it is better to try it before if they fit you (and it is a little bit overprice for my budget).

Country western CDs: yeah ! Have you some to recommand ?

Banderas, good too !

By the way, what a "knick knack" does it mean ?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
a knick knack is a small decorative item. Much like the snowglobe you described.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
As for what country music CD's only those from great Texas artists Any and all of the following are great.
George Strait
Pat Green
Willy Nelson
Larry Joe Taylor (the Jimmy Buffett of Texas)
Lyle Lovett
Barbara Mandrall
Tanya Tucker
LeAnne Rimes
Miranda Lambert
and MANY MANY MORE

Here are some Texas artists that are not country singers but still GREAT!
Fabulous Thunderbirds
Stevie Ray Vaughn
ZZ Top

Here is a link to most of the Texas artists:
Texas-Best Music (http://texas-best.com/texasbest/music.html - broken link)

Since hats and boots are too bulky to carry back and cost more how about some belts and belt buckles? You could see about shipping food items overseas. Some places might be able to do this and would know as I'm sure it is asked often. How about some great Texas cookbooks? There are many out there.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_girl View Post
Banderas, good too !

By the way, what a "knick knack" does it mean ?
Um, Bandera is a town in Texas so I doubt one could take it somewhere else. Maybe they meant, BANDANA'S which are a hankie of sorts that can be tied around ones neck or head. The most popular ones are red & white but now you can find them in just about any color and patterns. At a store called Hobby Lobby you can get them for less than one US Dollar.

Yes, knick knack is a small house decor. Little figurenes and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas