Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 PM

20 posts, read 17,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy07 View Post
Fascinating you mention that, as I'm constantly looking into the possibility of securing a job before the move, yet so many other people on this very forum have told others that getting a job without a face-to-face interview is impossible. Would you happen to have any insider tips on getting a job interview before the move? Such feedback would be most appreciated.

At the moment, I'm still doing heavy research on Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth and Arlington for possible options. Nothing is written in stone, and this move will take place within 6 months-1 year, so there's still plenty of time for decisions to be made and for savings to stock up. We're certain there are tons of lesser-known cities that would work perfectly, too, so the homework keeps going on.
If you have not yet got the message review the thread. You would do better by simply moving to a better neighborhood in Las Vegas. Texas is far less friendly than LV and it is a significant move.

By the way Texans will give you no relief on any of your complaints...they will in fact make it worse. And at a higher cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:24 PM

218 posts, read 220,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Ft. Worth may not cut it because of it's proximity to Dallas and being in the expensive DFW metro. Houston would be perfect but is out of reach due to the industry the OP works in. San Antonio is a much better fit for working in call centers.

Houston has nicer weather than Las Vegas, despite the detractors, due to the humidity filtering the heat of the sun, keeping temperatures from reaching 100s most of the time (unless there is a high pressure bubble on top of us) and isolated showers acting as a circuit breaker from excessive heat. I never liked Las Vegas since my hands would crack, bleed, and hurt even in winter. The only time I was comfortable was when it rained on my visit before Christmas and the humidity was closer to Coastal California levels. The I-35 corridor is a little drier and warmer than Houston, but not Vegas hot and dry.
There are a lot of call centers in Houston. I worked for an electricity company in the Galleria area a few years back. There were even a few more call centers in the same building I worked in. I don't understand why you said this. Please explain. Also, those skills could easily translate to other customer service type jobs. Why is Houston out of reach?

Old 07-11-2017, 03:26 PM

48 posts, read 152,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
There are a lot of call centers in Houston. I worked for an electricity company in the Galleria area a few years back. There were even a few more call centers in the same building I worked in. I don't understand why you said this. Please explain. Also, those skills could easily translate to other customer service type jobs. Why is Houston out of reach?
I'm definitely interested in learning more about Houston. Thank you for being one of my readers to provide insightful, detailed input that's addressing what I've said in this thread, by the way. And you're absolutely correct. Just because Vegas is home to a few call center jobs, doesn't mean that's the only jobs we're looking for. Customer service CAN transcend to other positions.

Unfortunately, far too many are assuming everything I've said is set in stone, as though my only sentence has been 'I want to move to Texas with $2k and I want the perfect apartment/house'. As for us remaining where we are-I understand every state has its black spots. Every state has its cities that are full of ugliness, people that would rather strangle you than say 'hello' to you, and very high crime rates. Understood 150%. We aren't looking to Texas to solve all of our problems. We know its not Disneyland. But to refrain from leaving the legendary Sin City, because of how a few pockets of dirt litter the entire state of Texas, would be unwise. We aren't interested in accepting defeat. We certainly aren't interested in moving into a city that's worse than Vegas. Which is why I'm here-to receive feedback on being pointed in the right direction. Not to read 'ew don't do it, texas is horrible' or 'you're stupid, you can't move to Texas with only $2k in your pocket' with absolutely no helpful input whatsoever.

To hopefully prevent such comments like that in the future, I'll simply ask this: what would be the best city to move into for those with middle-class income? Not one of the ritzier, fancier cities. What would be the best city and why?

If you've either visited or lived in San Antonio, please tell me everything you know about it. I'm definitely interested in looking more into San Antonio.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 PM

218 posts, read 220,653 times
Quote:
I'm definitely interested in learning more about Houston. Thank you for being one of my readers to provide insightful, detailed input that's addressing what I've said in this thread, by the way. And you're absolutely correct. Just because Vegas is home to a few call center jobs, doesn't mean that's the only jobs we're looking for. Customer service CAN transcend to other positions.

Unfortunately, far too many are assuming everything I've said is set in stone, as though my only sentence has been 'I want to move to Texas with $2k and I want the perfect apartment/house'. As for us remaining where we are-I understand every state has its black spots. Every state has its cities that are full of ugliness, people that would rather strangle you than say 'hello' to you, and very high crime rates. Understood 150%. We aren't looking to Texas to solve all of our problems. We know its not Disneyland. But to refrain from leaving the legendary Sin City, because of how a few pockets of dirt litter the entire state of Texas, would be unwise. We aren't interested in accepting defeat. We certainly aren't interested in moving into a city that's worse than Vegas. Which is why I'm here-to receive feedback on being pointed in the right direction. Not to read 'ew don't do it, texas is horrible' or 'you're stupid, you can't move to Texas with only $2k in your pocket' with absolutely no helpful input whatsoever.

To hopefully prevent such comments like that in the future, I'll simply ask this: what would be the best city to move into for those with middle-class income? Not one of the ritzier, fancier cities. What would be the best city and why?

If you've either visited or lived in San Antonio, please tell me everything you know about it. I'm definitely interested in looking more into San Antonio.
I've been visiting San Antonio with family and friends since I was a little boy. I love the city and every Texan (native and new) should visit at least once. In my opinion its the most iconic "Texan" city. Only that's just visiting. My brother lived there for years. He is in South Carolina now but refuses to move anywhere else in Texas but San Antonio he loves it so much. He was in the Army so the strong military culture there could play a large part in preference for the city. Personally, based on what you are looking for, I think San Antonio sounds like a strong candidate. Good luck and welcome to Texas.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:27 PM

48 posts, read 152,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
I've been visiting San Antonio with family and friends since I was a little boy. I love the city and every Texan (native and new) should visit at least once. In my opinion its the most iconic "Texan" city. Only that's just visiting. My brother lived there for years. He is in South Carolina now but refuses to move anywhere else in Texas but San Antonio he loves it so much. He was in the Army so the strong military culture there could play a large part in preference for the city. Personally, based on what you are looking for, I think San Antonio sounds like a strong candidate. Good luck and welcome to Texas.
Thank you! You have definitely helped my search.

In taking a closer look at San Antonio, I notice there's a bustling economy and many recreational activities, the River Walk included. Plus, the cost of living is a good point for us to get our feet wet in Texas. However, I do note that many people are troubled by San Antonio's diversity. They say that there's 1-2 dominant races in San Antonio, and they're violently aggressive towards those outside of those races. I know people of that nature exist everywhere-Mom and I live in a city of people that aren't necessarily violent towards people of different races, but they're just violent. On an hourly basis. Verbally and physically violent. However, I'll only be turned off to the option if violence towards races is extremely common. What do you think-is it a generally peaceful place? Are other cultures/races welcome?

Old 07-11-2017, 07:44 PM

420 posts, read 403,171 times
Quote:
Thank you! You have definitely helped my search.

In taking a closer look at San Antonio, I notice there's a bustling economy and many recreational activities, the River Walk included. Plus, the cost of living is a good point for us to get our feet wet in Texas. However, I do note that many people are troubled by San Antonio's diversity. They say that there's 1-2 dominant races in San Antonio, and they're violently aggressive towards those outside of those races. I know people of that nature exist everywhere-Mom and I live in a city of people that aren't necessarily violent towards people of different races, but they're just violent. On an hourly basis. Verbally and physically violent. However, I'll only be turned off to the option if violence towards races is extremely common. What do you think-is it a generally peaceful place? Are other cultures/races welcome?
Wherever you "heard" that from is complete hogwash. Literally idiocy.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,129 times
Quote:
Not to read 'ew don't do it, texas is horrible' or 'you're stupid, you can't move to Texas with only $2k in your pocket' with absolutely no helpful input whatsoever.
You chose to solicit advice on a public forum, and you apparently don't like what you are hearing. You have been offered sound, helpful advice but you don't like it. Honestly it is NOT prudent for two unemployed people to pack up and move halfway across the country with less than $2000 and nothing more that "hope" that things will work out well for you. It won't. Thats not what you want to hear but thats the truth of it.

The prudent action is for you and your Mom to find a job FIRST. Establish a work place first and then look for an affordable place to live where your daily commute is manageable. Also, no one called you "stupid". No need for unfounded drama.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:31 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
I live in both Dallas and Henderson. I don't see a difference in people between the two places because Henderson (south of 215) is 30 minutes from the strip and people here are typical suburbanites just like in any other city. I prefer LV weather over Dallas because the low humidity in the valley makes the temps feel cooler than DFW. Cost of living is pretty comparable to the DFW burb -- at least in Henderson and Summerlin (why not just move from NLV to one of those??)

Anyway, you will need employment so you will still need to be near to Dallas or Ft. Worth.

Within the DFW area I suggest you focus on Euless, Hurst, Bedford, Azle, Saginaw, Godley

If you can find work there, you might be really happy in Longview/Tyler area or Canton, too.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I live in both Dallas and Henderson. I don't see a difference in people between the two places because Henderson (south of 215) is 30 minutes from the strip and people here are typical suburbanites just like in any other city. I prefer LV weather over Dallas because the low humidity in the valley makes the temps feel cooler than DFW. Cost of living is pretty comparable to the DFW burb -- at least in Henderson and Summerlin (why not just move from NLV to one of those??)

Anyway, you will need employment so you will still need to be near to Dallas or Ft. Worth.

Within the DFW area I suggest you focus on Euless, Hurst, Bedford, Azle, Saginaw, Godley

If you can find work there, you might be really happy in Longview or Canton, too.
Longview, Canton, short on jobs in those two places, otherwise, sure.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
In taking a closer look at San Antonio, I notice there's a bustling economy and many recreational activities, the River Walk included. Plus, the cost of living is a good point for us to get our feet wet in Texas.
I had to (begrudgingly) recommend San Antonio over Houston because the cost-of-living is a little higher due to the high density of professional jobs (mostly in the Energy Industry) in this town. Unlike Dallas, many of the professional jobs are high-skilled (and high compensation) occupations such as engineers (my suburb is full of them), accountants (like my mom), and lawyers (the most competitive legal market in Texas).

The cost-of-living in S.A. is cheaper than Houston, until you get to the grocery store. H-E-B is the only game in town (and will rob you)! Houston is much better because of Kroger (Smith's is Kroger's nameplate in LV)!

It also has trouble attracting other national retailers. There is much hubbub about Ikea starting to build their San Antonio store that will open in 2 years. The nearest Ikea is in the northern suburbs of Austin. Best Buy is the only choice for electronics; the nearest Fry's is in North Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas