Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:58 PM

101 posts, read 159,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Jayne Cobb...

Have you ever lived in Texas? I keep meeting people who aren't native Texans like me who don't really get what the Texas spirit is all about. Do you know why Anne Richards was elected Governor? If you get that you'll get what Texas has historically been about.
Well, since you know what "Texas is all about", why don't you tell me? Is it partly about being condescending towards those with conservative values like your previous posts? Also, I had no idea that Richards was still your Governor? Is she still the Left's Governor in Spirit or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Ann Richards got the boot shortly after her infamous comment "There won't be concealed carry as long as I'm governor!"
Interesting. See, it's dumb@ss comments and worldviews like this from Leftists that are the reason Dems keep losing elections locally, state and federally nationwide. I have a friend who used to be a Democrat but left the party years ago because he saw that "The only two things that Dems care about are abortion and banning guns....".

Quote:
Texans tend to live and let live....until you act the fool.
That's pretty much Montana's credo, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 PM

101 posts, read 159,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Texas is not the "live and let live" state it thinks it is. If it were, we wouldn't be wasting taxpayer dollars trying to pass the pending senate bills banning all abortions and discriminatory laws against LGBT people.
So then is it ok with you that the State should force others (via taxes) to fund abortion mills like Planned Parenthood? Is that Libertarian?

Quote:
New Hampshire is a truly libertarian state. Less regulation, no sales tax, no income tax, truly "live and let live". You wouldn't see ads like Dan Patrick's "I'm a Christian" before an election. It would get laughed off TV. Live and let live states don't have lawmakers forcing religion down everyone's throat. Sounds like that's what the OP might be looking for, but he has to increase his budget based on his requirements.
Live and Let Live states allow religion to be freely expressed. It's not being forced down anyone's throat to preach the Gospel, or express Jewish faith, etc. If it offends someone, they should just look the other way and go about their business.

And rather than tell the OP to look instead to NH, if you think NH is so great maybe you are the one who should be looking there? Sounds like there are a lot of "intolerant" Texans who bother you?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:12 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,266,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
So then is it ok with you that the State should force others (via taxes) to fund abortion mills like Planned Parenthood? Is that Libertarian?

Live and Let Live states allow religion to be freely expressed. It's not being forced down anyone's throat to preach the Gospel, or express Jewish faith, etc. If it offends someone, they should just look the other way and go about their business.

And rather than tell the OP to look instead to NH, if you think NH is so great maybe you are the one who should be looking there? Sounds like there are a lot of "intolerant" Texans who bother you?
At no point did I recommend NH. On the contrary I recommended AL or MS. I was simply giving an example of what "live and let live" actually means and the pending senate bills do not represent this. If you are so against abortion don't have one, but when you have politicians who want deny a rape victim the option to choose (read the bill), that isn't libertarian, is it? I never said religion should not be expressed, just kept out of government. I'm so sick of this conservative world view of "you're intolerant of my intolerance so that makes you intolerant." Oh, and thanks for telling me what state I need to live, very "live and let live" of you. Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 02-09-2017 at 07:07 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 07:06 PM

437 posts, read 926,112 times
Have you considered West Texas? It's still pretty conservative. Lubbock has affordable housing, an easily accessible airport, great healthcare facilities, lots of golf courses and shooting ranges, and little to no traffic. It also offers a lot of shopping/dining/entertainment options because it's the largest city between DFW and El Paso and is home to a large university. The only one of your criteria it doesn't meet is the wind issue. The wind blows a lot, but it doesn't get as hot and humid as most of Texas. We moved here last year and love it. Real estate prices here seem to be rising fast, but you can still get a nice house on an acre of land for under $240k- particularly if you're not picky about which school district you're in.

Last edited by rr2005; 02-09-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,907,209 times
OP should get some forest land near Jackson, MS. Dirt cheap, low taxes, low service state, very conservative.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,914,225 times
Quote:
Have you considered West Texas? It's still pretty conservative. Lubbock has affordable housing, an easily accessible airport, great healthcare facilities, lots of golf courses and shooting ranges, and little to no traffic. It also offers a lot of shopping/dining/entertainment options because it's the largest city between DFW and El Paso and is home to a large university. The only one of your criteria it doesn't meet is the wind issue. The wind blows a lot, but it doesn't get as hot and humid as most of Texas. We moved here last year and love it. And by the way, we bought a 2,600 sq ft brick house on 2.5 acres for... you guessed it....$240k.
Good point! I'd also add Abilene and San Angelo to the list. Both conservative cities of around 100,000-120,000 with colleges/universities and in close proximity to military bases. Before moving to Georgetown we seriously considered both cities. San Angelo, in particular, captured our hearts. The Concho River flows through the center of the city and is bordered by a river walk that has some great parks and art installations. There's an active arts community including a fine art museum shaped like a Conestoga wagon. We visit several times a year. Abilene doesn't have the same charm but it does have a lot of things to do.

The weather in each city is probably comparable overall, but it seems as if Abilene might have a more changeable weather pattern.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,840,581 times
Idaho

Old 02-09-2017, 07:51 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,640,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Idaho
Cold ... 6' snow drifts.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:02 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,640,015 times
To all those conservatives looking at Texas ... come on , and welcome.

Agree with the Tyler suggestions. Great hospital system(s).

My area of East Texas is 90 miles from Houston and 1.5 hours from IAH. 2 hours from the Medical Center area of Houston which is arguably #1 in the world.

I live on 50 acres with a 2200 sq. ft house with multiple out buildings and my taxes this year were $1550. Taxes vary by county. So that has to be a factor.

Now I am obviously quite rural and must drive almost an hour to work (in Beaumont) but this can be used as a basis to what is available. (I do have my own 150 yard gun range though).

Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,266,635 times
I suppose it depends on how close is "close" to the airport. Abilene or San Angelo might work, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas