Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 14,002 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Philippines and in a few months we'll be moving to Brownsville. Uh, such a long distance. I've researched a bit about Brownsville and I read that it's 90% Hispanic. I took Spanish class last year because it was required for us to have foreign language classes and Spanish was given to us. I know basic stuff and I can answer a basic Spanish test but not talk/have a coversation in Spanish. Should I learn more Spanish? Or will English be enough? (I kinda regret not taking my Spanish classes seriously haha never thought it would be useful in the future)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
Yes learn more Spanish. Why are you moving there and not a place like San Antonio, Houston, Austin or Dallas? You'll def be ok if don't speak Spanish (you are in the USA after all), but you'll be viewed sorta as an outsider for not speaking it fluently. Very cliquish in that sense down there.

Put it this way, I'm Hispanic but didn't grow up speaking a lot of Spanish. I tell people I'm about 60% fluent. When I told someone that down there there they said, "ah no worries, I speak Spanish 50%". But, he interpreted me a different way as he speaks fluent Spanish daily 50% of the time and English 50% of the time.

Brownsville and Mcallen are the best cities imo down there but many mix Spanish and English when speaking and most will assume you can speak it. Id discourage moving thereuntil you're at least coversational. Only so that you won't constantly feel uncomfortable w that culture. Even white and black peoples are good Spanish speakers that will think you're odd you can't at least carry a conversation in Spanish.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Yes learn more Spanish. Why are you moving there and not a place like San Antonio, Houston, Austin or Dallas? You'll def be ok if don't speak Spanish (you are in the USA after all), but you'll be viewed sorta as an outsider for not speaking it fluently. Very cliquish in that sense down there.

Put it this way, I'm Hispanic but didn't grow up speaking a lot of Spanish. I tell people I'm about 60% fluent. When I told someone that down there there they said, "ah no worries, I speak Spanish 50%". But, he interpreted me a different way as he speaks fluent Spanish daily 50% of the time and English 50% of the time.

Brownsville and Mcallen are the best cities imo down there but many mix Spanish and English when speaking and most will assume you can speak it. Id discourage moving thereuntil you're at least coversational. Only so that you won't constantly feel uncomfortable w that culture. Even white and black peoples are good Spanish speakers that will think you're odd you can't at least carry a conversation in Spanish.
It wasn't my choice, my mom was assigned there so we have to live there. Thank you! I'm kinda worried now with communicating with people there. And also worried for my family where only my mom and I can speak english fluently and no one knows Spanish but me.

Thank you for answering! It helped a lot

Old 02-14-2016, 04:27 AM

240 posts, read 344,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriver View Post
I'm from the Philippines and in a few months we'll be moving to Brownsville. Uh, such a long distance. I've researched a bit about Brownsville and I read that it's 90% Hispanic. I took Spanish class last year because it was required for us to have foreign language classes and Spanish was given to us. I know basic stuff and I can answer a basic Spanish test but not talk/have a coversation in Spanish. Should I learn more Spanish? Or will English be enough? (I kinda regret not taking my Spanish classes seriously haha never thought it would be useful in the future)
If you from Philippines, why you move to Brownsville? Why not move to LA/NY? There is a bigger Phillipino community.

BTW, UT-Brownsville is not a very good school in academic as well.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
You will do fine with English alone, but since you already know some Spanish it won't hurt to brush up on it and us it when the occasion seems to call for it.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
If you from Philippines, why you move to Brownsville? Why not move to LA/NY? There is a bigger Phillipino community.

BTW, UT-Brownsville is not a very good school in academic as well.
As I said, I really had no choice because my mom was assigned there. It was Florida or Texas and I wish it was Florida Also thanks for the info about UT-Brownsville! Where to study is another problem of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You will do fine with English alone, but since you already know some Spanish it won't hurt to brush up on it and us it when the occasion seems to call for it.
I'm relieved to hear that!! Relieved for myself and my family members who don't speak english well, how much more in Spanish? Thank you! I will try to learn Spanish again.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:51 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
Since you have no choice, maybe y'all can live more near south padre island. If you enjoy the water, that will make up for it plus, less fluent speakers in that port Isabel / spi area.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:38 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
The are plenty of Filipinos here in the RGV and they assimilate quite well. NO, you don't need to know Spanish to communicate. The majority of hispanics from the RGV are bi-lingual and they also speak English. It's the Mexican nationals that that may speak little to no English but that's their problem not yours. You will be just fine.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:53 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriver View Post
Should I learn more spanish?
No!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
No!
just tell you don't speak Spanish if they talk Spanish to you..you can even answer in Tagalog if you want..that way he is forced to speak English
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas