Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,744 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm trying to plan a spring break excursion to West Texas in order to see big bend. I definitely want to spend at least a couple of days in Marfa and a couple of days in big bend itself, but I want to stop to some other places along the way but I'm not sure what to see. Are there any charming, artsy places for a mid 20something on the i10 route there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:31 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Your best route will be to take I10, then head south. Unfortunately, there's not much on I10 between Houston and besides San Antonio. San Antonio is a neat place to see, but you'd need more than a day to do it justice. Since you only have a week, you would be better off to just get to Big Bend and spend more time there.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
My personal choice would be to get off IH-10 at Ft. Stockton and travel US-385 to the park headquarters. Leaving the park, I'd drive the state highway 170 from Terlingua to Presidio to see sights every bit as interesting as in the park itself. Once in Marfa, I'd make the Marfa/Alpine/Ft.Davis loop, then return to IH-10 via Balmorhea State Park.

Some points of interest:

Terlinqua
Lajitas
Presideo/Ojinaga, MX
Marfa's art museums - Donald Judd, etc.
Alpine's "Cowboy" culture and Sul Ross campus.
Ft. Davis - restored fort and McDonald Observatory
Balmorhea natural spring state park.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:21 PM

348 posts, read 831,294 times
There isn't much to see between San Antonio and Big Bend. If you can handle the long drive, I recommend driving straight there and joqua's itinerary above. The Caverns of Sonora is along the way if you want a stop and activity.

Spring break is the busy season, so make sure you're familiar with the park and how arrangements are made. Reservations are taken for some campground sites, but most are claimed on the spot. Given the distance you have to travel, you'll probably be arriving later in the day. A reservation is a good idea if you can get one. If the entrance station is closed when you arrive, just enter the park and go to the nearest station to pay the entrance fee and get any permits you need the next morning.

Don't hurry or try to do too much. Take your time and enjoy each moment, and don't try to mark off a bunch of items on a list. Also, check out the McDonald Observatory's web site to read about their events.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:01 PM

581 posts, read 615,401 times
Marfa is cool, but you can probably see everything you want there in one day. And one day split between Ft Davis and Alpine would probably be sufficient. I'd add Big Bend Brewery in Alpine if you are a beer aficionado

Being someone with a lot of family that still lives in that area, let me warn you that one of Big Bend's busiest times of year is mid march/spring break. If you are dreaming of hiking the Chisos in absolute solitude you might be disappointed. On the other hand, if you just want to see the natural beauty of the park, it won't let you down.

Balmorhea is definitely worth stopping by. And a bit more off the beaten path, but Ruidosa/Chinati Springs area is a very cool destination to do some research on and would likely be a good place to explore.

I do this drive every year, and, while it adds about 30 minutes coming from Houston to get to Alpine, I prefer taking US-90 through Del Rio to get to that part of the state. A lot more scenic and worth the extra time.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:56 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
I like the drive down US 90 better, personally.

The McDonald Observatory is definitely worth the time, and it's no joke what they say;

The stars are bright all through the night...

Old 02-04-2016, 11:12 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,890 times
Definitely Terlingua....explore the Ghostown (yeah, that's how it's spelled), visit La Kiva, hike Terlingua Creek (upstream from the bridge on 170), sit on the porch at the trading post and have a beer with the locals while the sun sets, explore the various art galleries in the Ghostown and along the highway, listen to live music at the Starlight (good food!) or one of the other bars (food is also good at the High Sierra)...and, if you have a passport/passport card, go across to Boquillas, Mexico from the BBNP. There, you can have cheap beer and delicious Mexican food with Lilia, the owner of the long-time Falcon's restaurant. Their little community really appreciates all the people coming across to help their economy after the crossing opened back up a couple of years ago. (I know that firsthand from the residents there).

Also, while in the park, hike up Santa Elena Canyon as far as you can go. That's one of my absolute favorite areas. Also, visit the Hot Springs either in BBNP or on the Mexican side (if you want to go on the Mexican side, ask Lilia at Falcon's and she will get someone to take you....she's totally trustworthy!). The park pass has gotten more expensive -- now, it's $25 for 7 days per car, so you will want to take advantage of that as much as possible.

I also second McDonald Observatory and Balmorhea. And while you're in Alpine, have a giant burrito at Alicia's (cash only).

Most importantly, relax and have a great time!!!! We absolutely LOVE the Big Bend area and actually just got back from there on January 25.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
If you haven't made lodging reservations yet, you need to ASAP. Spring break is the most popular time of year for visitors to Big Bend!

Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,744 times
thanks for all the recommendations!! and thanks christi for the reminder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas