Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
East Texas is more diverse, so I would imagine that it would be a bit more tolerant when it comes to race.
Maybe, but not by much of it is. East Texas is very white/black and west Texas is very white/Hispanic.

You have a few overlaps in Tyler, Lubbock, and Amarillo, but otherwise that's the way it is.

Also West Texas has more Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 10:52 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Maybe, but not by much of it is. East Texas is very white/black and west Texas is very white/Hispanic.

You have a few overlaps in Tyler, Lubbock, and Amarillo, but otherwise that's the way it is.

Also West Texas has more Asians.
Most East Texas towns of significant size have notable Mexican populations that are only growing. The Hispanic population in Tyler is close to eclipsing the black population if it hasn't already.

In other words, you'll have a much easier time finding Mexican food in East Texas then you will with soul food in West Texas.

I wasn't aware West Texas had more Asians. Do you have a source for this?

Old 08-31-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Most East Texas towns of significant size have notable Mexican populations that are only growing. The Hispanic population in Tyler is close to eclipsing the black population if it hasn't already.

In other words, you'll have a much easier time finding Mexican food in East Texas then you will with soul food in West Texas.

I wasn't aware West Texas had more Asians. Do you have a source for this?
Not sure thats an accurate comparrison. Mexican food is available everywhere because its a much more popular type of cuisine than Soul Food. You can find Mexican food in places where there are no Mexicans whereas its very difficult to find Soul Food anywhere where there isnt a sizable black community.

I do have numbers for Asians in both:

Amarillio Metro Area: 6,620 - 2.7%
Lubbock Metro Area: 6,368 - 2.2%
Midland/Odessa Area: 3,176 - 1.1%

Tyler Metro Area: 2,546 - 1.2%
Longview Metro Area: 2,154 - 1.0%

Given the small sizes of both, good sized difference:

American FactFinder - Search

Old 08-31-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Not sure thats an accurate comparrison. Mexican food is available everywhere because its a much more popular type of cuisine than Soul Food. You can find Mexican food in places where there are no Mexicans whereas its very difficult to find Soul Food anywhere where there isnt a sizable black community.
Okay, I'll rephrase it for you: authentic Mexican food made by Mexicans, along with Mexican culture in general, will be easier to come by in East Texas than soul food or black culture in general will be in West Texas.

And since there doesn't seem to be an extreme difference in the percentage of Asian residents, I think it's clear that ET is, in fact, considerably more diverse. I'm also assuming that the region has more ethnic whites as well; more Germans, French, Italians etc.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll rephrase it for you: authentic Mexican food made by Mexicans, along with Mexican culture in general, will be easier to come by in East Texas than soul food or black culture in general will be in West Texas.

And since there doesn't seem to be an extreme difference in the percentage of Asian residents, I think it's clear that ET is, in fact, considerably more diverse. I'm also assuming that the region has more ethnic whites as well; more Germans, French, Italians etc.
You dont think triple the amount of Asians is a big difference?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:14 PM

437 posts, read 925,047 times
Quote:
East Texas is more diverse, so I would imagine that it would be a bit more tolerant when it comes to race.
I disagree with this. East Texas seems to hold more "Deep South" attitudes toward race. West Texas leans more libertarian/southwestern in culture, as was previously mentioned here. Further, people keep saying west Texas is "white". In reality, it has a huge Hispanic population, with a majority of counties being "minority-majority" in population.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You dont think triple the amount of Asians is a big difference?
Not when there's only an average of 1 percentage point increase.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
I disagree with this. East Texas seems to hold more "Deep South" attitudes toward race. West Texas leans more libertarian/southwestern in culture, as was previously mentioned here. Further, people keep saying west Texas is "white". In reality, it has a huge Hispanic population, with a majority of counties being "minority-majority" in population.
This is my opinion as well. In my experience, West Texas was more tolerant of different ethnicities.

Outside Tyler, I don't think East Texas is very accepting.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Even in the deepest parts of the Deep South you will see plenty of interracial harmony. Sure there are lots of bigots, but you can find them anywhere, including West Texas.

So whether West Texas or East Texas is the most tolerant would depend on who you ask, I guess, but we know which is more diverse.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
but we know which is more diverse.
We do?

Lets put your theory to the test. Below are the diversity index's of each metro area. For comparison a perfectly diverse metro area would be 100. Houston is just over 79 and Dallas is just under 77. NYC is the most diverse with an index of 81.

Tyler: 64.0
Lubbock: 63.8
Midland: 61.9
Amarillo: 60.6
Longview: 60

I wouldn't say that you could definitively say that one is more diverse than the other. If you're black, you would be more likely to say East Texas is more diverse. If you're Hispanic, you're more likely to say West Texas is more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas