Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 851 times

Advertisements

We're moving and want to make it a leisure trip from Dallas tx area to ft collins, co. We are looking for any places we should stop along the way, as well as paves to camp. Things such as unique things/places to see, must see sceneries, ghost towns, and any great places to eat. We're leaving in 2 weeks. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 06:59 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Along your route will be Capulin Volcano National Monument in New Mexico.

Unless you plan to get off the beaten path the only mountains you're going to cross will be at Raton Pass (NM/CO Border) and Monument Hill north of Colorado Springs. Are you looking to jog west of I-25?

Old 08-09-2015, 08:08 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Along your route will be Capulin Volcano National Monument in New Mexico.

Unless you plan to get off the beaten path the only mountains you're going to cross will be at Raton Pass (NM/CO Border) and Monument Hill north of Colorado Springs. Are you looking to jog west of I-25?

Agree that the above is the usual route most people take. 287 out of Fort Worth through Wichita Falls, Amarillo and up through the panhandle. You head over into NM and go over Raton pass and through Trinidad and hit I-25 all the way into CO.

If you want to see anything interesting, you will have to drive well West off this route (with the possible exception of Colorado Springs where you can get into the foothills relatively quickly from I-25).

Old 08-10-2015, 07:30 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingSouls2011 View Post
We're moving and want to make it a leisure trip from Dallas tx area to ft collins, co. We are looking for any places we should stop along the way...
There really are only two choices, and both pass through Wichita Falls and Amarillo.

From Amarillo, US-287 is the least scenic - in fact it's downright boring the entire route.

US-87 cuts across New Mexico to Raton and is by far the most scenic.

As already mentioned, there is Capucin Volcano in New Mexico and not mentioned is Palo Duro Canyon south of Amarillo, both "must see" venues. Once into Colorado, stop at the Colorado State Visitor Center in Trinidad to pick up maps and brochures for things to see within short drives from IH-25 between Trinidad and Ft. Collins. Off the top of my head:

Royal Gorge west of Pueblo.
Will Rogers Shrine, zoo and Broadmoor hotel/golf course, CO Springs
Pikes Peak tram, CO Springs
Garden of the Gods, CO Springs
Air Force Academy museum, CO Springs
Red Rocks Amphitheater, Denver
Denver Museum of Arts and Botanical Gardens
Golden Colorado mining museum and river walk
Univ of CO Boulder campus
Estes Park and Rocky Mtn Nat. Park

Old 08-10-2015, 10:32 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
The sandwiches at Mollica's in Colorado Springs are good.

Drive up Boulder Canyon to Nederland.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:33 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
The sandwiches at Mollica's in Colorado Springs are good.

Drive up Boulder Canyon to Nederland.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:08 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I was in just in Colorado Springs and there's quite a bit of traffic every time ive been through that way.Watch out for Raton Pass.Capulin Volcano is between Raton and Clayton and is really neat.It takes at least 2 hours to do Capulin.There's a safety corridor in that area as well where speeding fines are doubled.Watch out for all the little towns and speed traps.Gusty wind is likely north of Pueblo and in the panhandle of course.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:27 PM

167 posts, read 334,696 times
Don't forget to make a stop at Valley Pecans in Chillicothe! The maple pecan butter makes me weep.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Capulin Volcano is badass, as is Clayton Lake State Park.

So I tell lots of people this, if youre going to drive through Clayton NM when you come into Clayton on the right is DQ and on the left is a "roach coach" called Senior Taco's. Senior Taco's is an absolute must stop for great and cheap New Mexican food.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
My "go to" site when planning a roadtrip

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas