Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:45 AM

26 posts, read 31,427 times

Advertisements

Which side of hill country has more nodicably taller hills and more densely populated suburbs surrounding hills? I guess in other words where has the most geographical culture with hills. I guess also which downtown is closer to hill slope elevation would matter in 2050 when they urbanize to a whole different level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:47 AM

Oh and one more question. Are there any homes ontop of hills like in California? Especially Orange County. They have entire neighborhood subdivisions built on them.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:53 AM

I guess i should've mentioned the point of this thread. But these young cities may develop differently than Houston and Dallas with all their sprawl. Austin hasn't reached the point of no return in sprawl. Austin can become a Portland like developed city with light rail connecting more hubs. These hills can create a kind of boundry to end sprawl.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:52 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
Despite repeated threads on C-D asking about the "big 3 cities" in Texas, Dallas, Houston or Austin, San Antonio is actually the oldest of the three and is NOT a young city even by US standards. It is also the second largest city and third largest metro, yes ahead of Austin.

Austin's downtown has the highest elevation of the 3 downtowns. SA is only hill country on the far northside as it sits at the juncture of several different geological areas getting flatter as you go further south. San Antonio definitely has neighborhoods in Stone Oak (hwy 281/loop 1604) built on hills as are many out I-10 north. Despite Texas State having hills I have never really thought of San Marcos as being a hill country town. Austin also has many neighborhoods built on hills.

By 2050 SA and Austin will be pretty much like DFW despite anyone's aspirations to turn Austin into Portland.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 07-01-2015 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
For Hill Country near San Antonio, look more to the NW of town versus NE towards San Marcos. The hills begin just outside the 1604 loop and get more dramatic as you head out through Boerne, towards Welfare, Waring, Comfort, etc.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Max elevation of Austin is 1000 ft thus not highest in the Hill country. There are many homes on tops of hills - go to Wimberley, for example - plenty to see. Austin will sprawl and sprawl and the hills won't do a damn thing to stop that

Old 07-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Thank you everybody (: exactly the responces i was looking for. Also bringing up Texas State University helped alot since i have a close friend attending there.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 AM

163 posts, read 199,122 times
To address your question directly, the answer is North and Northwest San Antonio. What you asked about and what you describe exactly (these are just some examples):

281 North of 1604

Stone Oak
Bulverde area
Timberwood Park

I-10 North of 1604

Cresta Bella (very new)
The Dominion
Sonoma Ranch area
Cross Mountain area
Steeplebrook area
Cielo Vista area
Grey Forest area
Boerne, TX area

Quote:
Max elevation of Austin is 1000 ft thus not highest in the Hill country. There are many homes on tops of hills - go to Wimberley, for example - plenty to see. Austin will sprawl and sprawl and the hills won't do a damn thing to stop that
The examples I listed are exactly what you're saying about Austin's future. It will get to that point there, but urban sprawl into the hills has already been in existence in SA for many, many years and just keeps going.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 AM

412 posts, read 545,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildings R US View Post
Oh and one more question. Are there any homes ontop of hills like in California? Especially Orange County. They have entire neighborhood subdivisions built on them.
Yes. West Austin and N and NW San Antonio have lots of hills, many with houses on top of them. And San Marcos is in Austin's metro.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
I'm glad some one brought this up because as I'm gearing up to return to Texas I really want to return to something similar to what I've experienced in California. I love hills, lakes and the cool mix of city and country. I love to see homes on the hills next to big bodies of water.

I caught a glimpse of this when I ate at the Oasis in Austin and when I visited Marble Falls.

How expensive is it to live in these areas? Are there other places like this in central Texas that are cheaper yet close to San Marcos, SA or Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas