Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:34 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,401,537 times

Advertisements

I have never LIVED in Abilene, but have visited several times. I have never felt unsafe there, and it didn't seem to be a particularily crime-ridden city. I am sure it has its "bad" parts, just like any city.
I have lived in Grapevine and worked in Plano, so I know Plano.
I would feel MUCH safer in Abilene than Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:48 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,959,363 times
I don't know if anyone is even reading this thread anymore... but thought I'd throw my two cents in for what it's worth.

I live in San Angelo, about 1 1/2 hours west-southwest of Abilene. We are right around 100k in population counting the outlying areas (Grape Creek, Wall, Christoval). Before we got our Sam's store a couple years back, the wife and I used to go to the Sam's in Abilene at least once a month. While there, we'd make a day of it and go to Olive Garden (which we now have, too, but didn't then), hit the mall (which has different stores than our mall here), etc. We'd often take the kids with us.

For all the times we went to Abilene, we never, ever had any problems anywhere we went. Car doors were never even so much as dinged, and I never saw anyone I thought I should steer clear of.

I think their crime is probably closely related to ours. Most serious crimes (rape and murder) are committed by parties that know each other, or were involved in drugs. As with any city over say, 50k population, there are places you would consider safer to live in than others. I can say in my town, I've never felt threatened either.. and I've lived here since 1998. The truth to the matter is to look into the crimes. Are they random crimes of violence, or are they like they are here in San Angelo, normally between people who knew each other, or were involved in illicit activities?

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,431 times
My name is Brooke. I lived in stamford which is about 45 mins. away from Abilene. From what i know, Abilene is an EXTREMLY safe town. EVERYWHERE there are going to be a couple bad people but it is a safe place- my whole family grew up around that area- and we arn't crazy stalkers or murderers. Also near that area there is a water park and it is small so you can let your kids run wild. Also about 5 and 1/2 hours away is San Antonio- and six flags fiesta texas- and they even have a sea world- so i think you will be safe. In abilene if you move there- you should definetly go to the Grace. It's an old hotel with old artifacts- it's cool.
thanks!
-brooke

Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 AM

4,353 posts, read 3,569,281 times
As many times as I've been to and through there, crime hasn't even entered my mind. Abilene has a tendency to be too peaceful.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM

161 posts, read 641,942 times
This was asked further back in the thread, but never really got answered, so I figured I would ask it again because I would like to know.

What parts of Abilene would you consider to be the less than desirable areas? (aka sketchy or shady areas)

If possible, use street names to show boundaries of the areas that you are referring to, rather than to just say something like "the west side".

Thank you!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM

148 posts, read 359,003 times
The Abilene Reporter News bad a crime map in it several days ago--noting crime rates by neighborhood. I can't post the link here since it is against the rules, but Google Abilene Reporter News and see if you can find the map. My area, Northeast of the intersection of East North 10th and Judge Ely Blvd had 0 crimes last year. There are several other areas that had 0. As I recall, the highest crime rate was right around downtown--which is probably true in ever city. Wish I remembered the rest of it, but I checked my neighborhood, and I was happy.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
can you tell me if you remember which a re the bad neighborhoods or which areas of the city are less desirable ?
thnak you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas